Which are the tires size of the BOSS 302R? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Talking Which are the tires size of the BOSS 302R?

Hi Guys,

I read some interesting facts on the web:

-Vorshlag has 18X11 front wheels and 18X12 rear wheels mounted on 315/35R18 tires
-Strano has a wheel option of 18x10.5 mounted on 315/30R18
-The BOSS 302R has 18x10 wheels, but don't have any idea of which tire size they are using with those wheels.
-Apparently the BOSS 302S came with 19x9 front wheels and rears 19x10 and then they upgraded to 18x9.5 square set up.

If we compare with the Camaro 1LE 285/30R20 mounted in 10x20 front and 11x20 rears
And the new camaro Z28 with 305/30ZR19 mounted on 11x19 front and 11.5X19.

Which setup do you think that it will be the weapon of choice on our Mustangs to beat the Camaros in the track and also be practical for daily use on street and road driving.
2011 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, KONI STRT, Steeda Sport springs, GT500 strut mounts, Strano's adjustable swaybars, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS, ATE DOT 4, CS style rear pedestal spoiler, AM Eleanor side scoops, "C style" side decals, Black BOSS style roof vinyl, black custom hood vinyl & Black pony.
M3hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
I would look into an 18/19x10 square setup for street and track with 285's on all four corners. This won't leave you with a ridiculous bill for tires but will still offer a rather evenly balanced car on the track and still be comfortable on the street

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I run 19X9.5 with 285 tires on all four corners and it handles like a dream. There is enough pull from the curves in the road to make me not want anything bigger for highway driving. Already feel at times like the car is trying to kill my by deciding it wants to randomly turn to the right or left.
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
I run 19X9.5 with 285 tires on all four corners and it handles like a dream. There is enough pull from the curves in the road to make me not want anything bigger for highway driving. Already feel at times like the car is trying to kill my by deciding it wants to randomly turn to the right or left.
That's called tracking, it's not random, your tires will push or pull on cracks or lines in the road

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post

That's called tracking, it's not random, your tires will push or pull on cracks or lines in the road
Lol I know it isn't supposed to be "random" but it feels that way. I can drive perfectly flat road that my truck doesn't track on and then drive the mustang there and it does.

It also rarely does it in the same place twice.

So yes I know it isn't technically random but it sure feels that way.

It was also honestly worse with my 235 stockers than my 285 tires.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

Lol I know it isn't supposed to be "random" but it feels that way. I can drive perfectly flat road that my truck doesn't track on and then drive the mustang there and it does.

The Pirelli's did that on my car, switched to mitchlens and problem solved.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Rarely does it in the same place twice? Sounds like it isn't a tire issue then. I always know exactly where my tires will pull, I've driven many of the street of louisville multiple times and have learned the roads very well. I know all the pot holes and man hole covers and construction and the places where my tires will pull.

If it is "random" or doesn't do it in the same place twice, it's likely you have an entirely different issue. Also your truck with taller tires and more "loose" suspension isn't going to react the same way your mustang does so that's not really a valid comparison

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's because the roads in Cincy are total ****. I get worn out fighting my car in and out of the grooves on I75 just going through one way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
I've always heard it called "tramlining" but yeah - same thing. Some tread patterns are worse than others, and it seems wider tires are more affected than skinny ones.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post

That's because the roads in Cincy are total ****. I get worn out fighting my car in and out of the grooves on I75 just going through one way.

I've always heard it called "tramlining" but yeah - same thing. Some tread patterns are worse than others, and it seems wider tires are more affected than skinny ones.
I was gonna respond with the tread pattern aspect. I think that is what causes mine to be so erratic. Yeah 75 is bad but thankfully I don't drive it anymore. The middle lane literally made me feel if I hit a bump I'd scrape my car. That thing was crested at least 4 inches if not more. I only drive the far outside of 275 through Indiana and Kentucky to 71/75 in Kentucky now which is pretty smooth. Doesn't mean my car won't randomly decide it wants to turn left. I still say random because that part of 275 is smooth. There are parts one day I can drive a 1/2 mile with my hands off the steering wheel its so straight and flat and the next day drive the same area and have it go "LEFT!"

Also Cincy speed was 5 mins from my old house. I was gonna go with you guys but Cincy speed goes full ****** when it comes to mustangs. I won't let them touch my car again.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs up

Is the tramlining is that bad with the 285's. I guess is better for me to go with 275's squared.
2011 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, KONI STRT, Steeda Sport springs, GT500 strut mounts, Strano's adjustable swaybars, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS, ATE DOT 4, CS style rear pedestal spoiler, AM Eleanor side scoops, "C style" side decals, Black BOSS style roof vinyl, black custom hood vinyl & Black pony.
M3hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3hunter View Post
Is the tramlining is that bad with the 285's. I guess is better for my to go with 275's squared.
I have 275s and it's really bad with the NT05s. Tread pattern is the primary factor, but like hydroplaning, more contact patch makes it worse.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is the tramlining is that bad with the 285's. I guess is better for my to go with 275's squared.
As I stated before, my 235 pirellies were worse than my 285 mickey Thompson.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I read some interesting facts on the web:

-Vorshlag has 18X11 front wheels and 18X12 rear wheels mounted on 315/35R18 tires
-Strano has a wheel option of 18x10.5 mounted on 315/30R18
-The BOSS 302R has 18x10 wheels, but don't have any idea of which tire size they are using with those wheels.
-Apparently the BOSS 302S came with 19x9 front wheels and rears 19x10 and then they upgraded to 18x9.5 square set up.

If we compare with the Camaro 1LE 285/30R20 mounted in 10x20 front and 11x20 rears
And the new camaro Z28 with 305/30ZR19 mounted on 11x19 front and 11.5X19.

Which setup do you think that it will be the weapon of choice on our Mustangs to beat the Camaros in the track and also be practical for daily use on street and road driving.
I read some where on the net that GM dropped from 20" to 19" on the Z28 for weight savings.

Having run an M3 setup with staggered rims, I personally would not run staggered again. The cost of not being able to swap rims drove me crazy. Plus sometimes by the time the fronts needed replacement, they no longer made the tire and I would have to buy all 4.
Fritzep is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT