2013 5.0 track apps 0-60 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
2013 5.0 track apps 0-60

So I've had my 2013 5.0 for 6 months now and am loving it! So I finally got my licence recently and decided to try the track apps for the first time. I've only been doing 0-60s to start out with I've maybe done 10 so far and for some reason I can't get better then 5.1 seconds! I have keep traction control on due to I'm new to the car and don't want to total it... What are some things I can do to get a better 0-60? Also with the 3.73s 2nd gear ends at like 58 mph if I got a tune and movied my redline up 200 rpm would it be worth it?
Thanks
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0 View Post
So I've had my 2013 5.0 for 6 months now and am loving it! So I finally got my licence recently and decided to try the track apps for the first time. I've only been doing 0-60s to start out with I've maybe done 10 so far and for some reason I can't get better then 5.1 seconds! I have keep traction control on due to I'm new to the car and don't want to total it... What are some things I can do to get a better 0-60? Also with the 3.73s 2nd gear ends at like 58 mph if I got a tune and movied my redline up 200 rpm would it be worth it?
Thanks
Traction is your enemy right now. Sticky tires, and lcas at the very least.
But most importantly.... Driver mod. Seat time is your friend.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
>I've had my 5.0 for 6 months

>recently got my license

...the car I had when I first got my license was a 1985 Plymouth Voyager complete with faux wooden panels. Haha.
Please dear God, protect my sweet ride.

2013 California Specil GT "Tater"
jdemK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemK View Post
>I've had my 5.0 for 6 months

>recently got my license

...the car I had when I first got my license was a 1985 Plymouth Voyager complete with faux wooden panels. Haha.
Lol right...hey your learning to drive?! Here is a 35K car

To be productive. Traction control needs to go. At least put it on sport mode. Also manual or auto? Assuming manual? If so you probably need to work on driving with a stick more.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

To be productive. Traction control needs to go. At least put it on sport mode. Also manual or auto? Assuming manual? If so you probably need to work on driving with a stick more.
I payed for the car my self thank you verry much . (Used) but yeah is sport mode the one click when it allows the wheels to spin? It is a manual, and I pritty much go to redline with no problem shifting it, except 2nd gear sometimes grinds =\ any tips?
Old 06-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I payed for the car my self thank you verry much . (Used) but yeah is sport mode the one click when it allows the wheels to spin? It is a manual, and I pritty much go to redline with no problem shifting it, except 2nd gear sometimes grinds =\ any tips?
Read the owners manual to learn how to enable/disable your 3 different modes for traction control. As far as grinding in second gear, sounds like it could be a synchro problem. I dont have any grinding what so ever. Take it to the dealer, should still be under warranty.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 06-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
hold the brake and hold traction control for like 5 or 7 seconds, that turns off all traction control, and for grinding in second its not normal but ive driven stick my whole life and these cars are the worst for shifting while at high rpms, something about it is tough to do, i get locked out of 2nd and 3rd alot at high rpms but hopefully a mgw shifter will cure most of that
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
hold the brake and hold traction control for like 5 or 7 seconds, that turns off all traction control, and for grinding in second its not normal but ive driven stick my whole life and these cars are the worst for shifting while at high rpms, something about it is tough to do, i get locked out of 2nd and 3rd alot at high rpms but hopefully a mgw shifter will cure most of that
The reason you get locked out sometimes is mostly due to the fact that the stock shifter bracket is made of rubber, so under load it flexes and basically doesn't allow you to get into gear. A barton 2-post bracket, will solve nearly all that. Mine hasn't done it once since installing the barton bracket. But the grinding is being caused by something else, most likely a bad synchro.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Is sport mode available in the manual 2013 GT Premium? I don't have it or cannot find it. Help!
Alkhalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkhalil View Post

Is sport mode available in the manual 2013 GT Premium? I don't have it or cannot find it. Help!
You should. Again, read your owners manual. To get sport mode hold the brake, and hit the traction control button twice fast
Old 06-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post

The reason you get locked out sometimes is mostly due to the fact that the stock shifter bracket is made of rubber, so under load it flexes and basically doesn't allow you to get into gear. A barton 2-post bracket, will solve nearly all that. Mine hasn't done it once since installing the barton bracket. But the grinding is being caused by something else, most likely a bad synchro.
I bought the Shifter Stabilizer Bushings by Energy Suspension for under $20.00 and that solved my 2nd to 3rd shifting problem at high RPM.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
mine is a 2012 but im sure u have sport mode, read the manual it takes like a minute to find it , the first thing i do before i go anywhere is turn off all traction control unless its raining then its nice to have on, but really just hold brake push traction button and hold it until the display say traction control off, its very simple, and as for shifting i do have a barton shifter and bracket, and it worked great for six months but im not sure if someyhing is loose or wore out but ive been getting locked out alot lately, but i do have an mgw on order so i havent messed with it too much
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sure is
Old 06-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

If I add a barton shifting bracket will ford void my warranty?
Old 06-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You should. Again, read your owners manual. To get sport mode hold the brake, and hit the traction control button twice fast
Thanks for the tip. You got me there. My wife makes fun of me reading all instructional manuals regardless of complexity. I missed this and went straight pushing buttons in the car.
I too have been doing the 0-60 and have not gotten it below 5.0 sec. I have street tires that don't help!
Old 06-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks for the tip. You got me there. My wife makes fun of me reading all instructional manuals regardless of complexity. I missed this and went straight pushing buttons in the car.
I too have been doing the 0-60 and have not gotten it below 5.0 sec. I have street tires that don't help!
No problem. Dont be afraid to pull out the owners manual bud. These cars nowadays have so many gadgets and what not, that 10 years ago we would have never thought about. As far as traction LCAs will help drastically.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No problem. Dont be afraid to pull out the owners manual bud. These cars nowadays have so many gadgets and what not, that 10 years ago we would have never thought about. As far as traction LCAs will help drastically.
Says the guy who didn't read it in the owners manual himself but had me tell him........
Old 06-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Says the guy who didn't read it in the owners manual himself but had me tell him........
Lol i learned my lesson tho!

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

I was waiting for that one tho haha
Old 06-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

I bought the Shifter Stabilizer Bushings by Energy Suspension for under $20.00 and that solved my 2nd to 3rd shifting problem at high RPM.
I've seen those, I actually like the feel of the stock shifter, I'm gonna give the bushing a try.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
With all do respect, learn the car, and learn to drive. Take the car out, learn the clutch, learn to feather it, learn to launch with traction on, when you get a good launch without kicking the traction control on then screw with it. After you have the launch down worry about the shifting. From shooter, slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Until you know the car like the back of your hand all youre doing is wasting rubber.

Before my tune I was running a 4.9 0-60, I havent really gotten to drive the car since then. The tune can raise your rpms, but be safe.

Again, LEARN TO DRIVE!!!!
86 muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 muscle View Post
With all do respect, learn the car, and learn to drive. Take the car out, learn the clutch, learn to feather it, learn to launch with traction on, when you get a good launch without kicking the traction control on then screw with it. After you have the launch down worry about the shifting. From shooter, slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Until you know the car like the back of your hand all youre doing is wasting rubber.

Before my tune I was running a 4.9 0-60, I havent really gotten to drive the car since then. The tune can raise your rpms, but be safe.

Again, LEARN TO DRIVE!!!!
Dude I put 7000 miles on my stang since December... And what rpm do you recommend to launch from? And do I just release the clutch when I goto launch? Sorry but I'm new to this =\
Old 06-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dude I put 7000 miles on my stang since December... And what rpm do you recommend to launch from? And do I just release the clutch when I goto launch? Sorry but I'm new to this =\
I understand, and thats more miles than ive put on mine, but then again, this is my 4th stang. Each car is a little different, if you have 3.73s idk. Do not just realse the clutch, feathering the clutch is...a skill. You just start letting it out slowly until it starts to grab. I mean no disrespect when I say learn to drive. But city driving is completly different than racing. Find an empty spot in a parking lot or a track somewhere. Learning to race takes time. These new coyotes are amazing, and such a blast to drive. You will learn the car better than you ever thought. LCAs and a better tire will help, but again until you learn to launch youre spinning your wheels.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I understand, and thats more miles than ive put on mine, but then again, this is my 4th stang. Each car is a little different, if you have 3.73s idk. Do not just realse the clutch, feathering the clutch is...a skill. You just start letting it out slowly until it starts to grab. I mean no disrespect when I say learn to drive. But city driving is completly different than racing. Find an empty spot in a parking lot or a track somewhere. Learning to race takes time. These new coyotes are amazing, and such a blast to drive. You will learn the car better than you ever thought. LCAs and a better tire will help, but again until you learn to launch youre spinning your wheels.
I agree here. When I first got the car, even though I could drive manuals before it, I still went and drove to an empty parking lot and goofed with it for a few hours just getting used to wear the clutch catches, how hard it could be pushed, etc.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #24

Save this pic to your phone, its the page from your owners manual on how to disable different levels of TC and SC...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4113477598.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	112036  
PLASMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLASMAN View Post
Save this pic to your phone, its the page from your owners manual on how to disable different levels of TC and SC...
Thanks, what about sport mode?
Old 06-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks, what about sport mode?
Sport mode will let you have a little more freedom, but still keep the car in check. If you wanted to go do a road course, sure put it in sport mode. Drag racing, turn it off.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sport mode will let you have a little more freedom, but still keep the car in check. If you wanted to go do a road course, sure put it in sport mode. Drag racing, turn it off.
why should you turn it off when drag racing?
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

How will turning off traction control help my 0-60 if it will allow more wheel spin?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post

why should you turn it off when drag racing?
The way traction control works, is it reduces power, either by braking or not allowing as much power as it can give, which in turn will obviously slow down your car lowering your times.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The way traction control works, is it reduces power, either by braking or not allowing as much power as it can give, which in turn will obviously slow down your car lowering your times.
So if I turned it off how much of a different time should I expect? Also is like 1900 a good launch rpm?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So if I turned it off how much of a different time should I expect? Also is like 1900 a good launch rpm?
I can't answer that. Each car and driver is unique. 1900 is reasonable, if you don't just dump the clutch. It you let it slip you should be alright, but the key is to be fast about it. Again, practice is your best friend right now. No one on here can tell you exactly where or how to drive your car. I usually do around a 1500 slip try start then go wot when the clutch is out and I don't spin first.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I can't answer that. Each car and driver is unique. 1900 is reasonable, if you don't just dump the clutch. It you let it slip you should be alright, but the key is to be fast about it. Again, practice is your best friend right now. No one on here can tell you exactly where or how to drive your car. I usually do around a 1500 slip try start then go wot when the clutch is out and I don't spin first.
What do you mean by let the clutch slip instead of dumping it?
Old 06-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What do you mean by let the clutch slip instead of dumping it?
somebody definitely needs more seat time.

Slipping the clutch*(sometimes referred to asfeathering the clutch) is a term used to describe when the driver alternately applies and releases the clutch to achieve some movement of the car. It's calledslipping*because the clutch plate will slip against the*flywheel*surface when such an action is performed.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

You are going to have to learn how to 'feather' or slip the clutch. It will allow you to get power to the ground, but not excessively, almost controlled power. It's a very valuable trait that you're going to have to learn. I don't know how to explain it much better.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Ohhhh lol I know what feathering is lol I've been riding dirt bikes for year and I know what feathering a clutch is ..... Never heard the term "slipping" *facepalm*

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT