Black JLT Oil Separator - Necessary? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Black JLT Oil Separator - Necessary?

Black JLT Oil Separator - Passenger Side (11-14 GT)

Is the above part necessary. I don't see how ford would allow a car to go into production if the excess oil sprayed into the engine would be damaging. I want to protect the engine, but is this part really going to provide any enhancement performance wise? Hp, torque, mpg? anything specific?

Just curious if anyone has one of these and if so is it a noticeable change?
Tytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I dont know much about what exactly is going back into the engine but I have one and every two weeks it is half full of what looks like gas and oil mixed together, not so sure its a bad thing that it goes back into the engine but it works, and looks good too, no hp or gains what so ever
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
I dont know much about what exactly is going back into the engine but I have one and every two weeks it is half full of what looks like gas and oil mixed together, not so sure its a bad thing that it goes back into the engine but it works, and looks good too, no hp or gains what so ever
A half a can every 2 weeks??? Dude that's not normal. What year and how many miles?
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

JLT catch can doesn't catch all the oil. I switched to breathers cause I had oil in the tube after the can.
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Breathers for me to. Cheaper. Looks better to me. And works better.
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
A specific group of people are going to come tell you that I'm wrong, but with breathers you are allowing oil vapor into your engine compartment. You might not notice it, but it's there ... getting all over everything. I wouldn't run them on a street car that gets driven often - just my 2c.

If/when my JLT breaks I will replace it with a better designed unit such as the UPR or Moroso.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
+10000 Napoleon... The catch cans work great for D/D get one....
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Def necessary, and always a nice way to start modding. Brian, I get about that much too. No big deal, take it out pour it in the garden and out it back on al gore hates me
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
A specific group of people are going to come tell you that I'm wrong, but with breathers you are allowing oil vapor into your engine compartment. You might not notice it, but it's there ... getting all over everything. I wouldn't run them on a street car that gets driven often - just my 2c.

If/when my JLT breaks I will replace it with a better designed unit such as the UPR or Moroso.
I'd rather have to clean up the engine bay a little more often than have oil getting past that crappy jlt can like I was seeing.
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Old 06-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
I catch fish not oil, go with breathers!
2016 Gt/Cs autowith 3:55', mbrp cat back and a n/a build on the way!...
blackbeast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I don't get that much on mine. Maybe a quarter of a can every couple of weeks or so. Don't know the ins and outs about them. But they do seem to work. And hey for the price, if it helps the longevity of the engine. Then I'm in.
Jsmorley81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #12

Region: Maryland
Installed the catch can on my 3.7 the first day I took delivery of the car. Finally checked it after 1850 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2148.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	112030   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2149.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	112031  

Ordered 2/09 | Received VIN 2/13 | Window Sticker 2/19 | Build Date 2/25 / Delivered 3/11
-Airaid CAI/JLT Catch Can, LLumar 20% Tint
RogueWing16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post

Been running them for over a month and no oil everywhere....long as you clean them your fine....

My engine compartment may have dirt everywhere but not oil. You'd feel the oil. Isn't there.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Correct me if I am wrong, but this depends on how you drive. I stand on the accelerator at every chance, which is likely why I fill up more than others. I am NA for now, so a can is fine for my purposes
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I may have exaggerated alittle, i get probably more like a quarter can every few weeks, depends on how much i drive, i do drive hard alot and im not worried about it too much...I like the looks of breathers tho, and I know from rcing they do vent oil some but for now the can works
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
Old 06-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

So the difference between the two is what exactly?
From what I can tell they both do the same thing, filter out oil and gas, but in different ways. The JLT does seem easier to install....
Old 06-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

the can is easier but i think the vents look better, they both work, sympathy do you have pics of your vents ?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytus View Post
So the difference between the two is what exactly?
From what I can tell they both do the same thing, filter out oil and gas, but in different ways. The JLT does seem easier to install....
Lol. The breathers r super easy. 5 min install. The breathers completely eliminate the chance of oil going into ur intake. The jlt can does not.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Took my breathers off and reinstalled in .54 seconds. Lmao. Naw. But it took less then a minute to disconnect hose. Then you slip on breather and tighten it down with a flat head. I got my unborn child to help.
I think it was $70 for both pass and driver side. Came with everything you need.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2848732046.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	515.4 KB
ID:	112159   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3993617907.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	535.4 KB
ID:	112160  

Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
the can is easier but i think the vents look better, they both work, sympathy do you have pics of your vents ?

Name:	ForumRunner_20130604_214915.png
Views:	531
Size:	487.1 KB
ID:	112161
Old 06-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I really like those, where do you get them and how much?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I really like those, where do you get them and how much?
2011+ GT/Boss Breather Package - Justin's Performance Center

everything you need for both sides. Plugs, breathers, etc.

$240 from JLT to do an 80% job that the breathers do 100% job on for $60...
Old 06-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

cool thanks
Old 06-05-2013, 01:08 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Just ordered some!
LovinmyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Just order some too. Thanks

Wish I would have known about that site a week ago, the K& drop in filter is $10 cheaper than on American Muscle :/

Anyway thanks for the advice!
Old 06-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytus View Post
Just order some too. Thanks

Wish I would have known about that site a week ago, the K& drop in filter is $10 cheaper than on American Muscle :/

Anyway thanks for the advice!
If your gonna waste money on a k&n drop in filter, might as well waste all you can by supporting a good company like AM.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:55 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

2011+ GT/Boss Breather Package - Justin's Performance Center

everything you need for both sides. Plugs, breathers, etc.

$240 from JLT to do an 80% job that the breathers do 100% job on for $60...
Thinking about buying some as well. How often do you have to clean the filters? Mines a DD, and i drive a TON of miles, so im wondering if the catch cans may be better for me.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 06-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post

Thinking about buying some as well. How often do you have to clean the filters? Mines a DD, and i drive a TON of miles, so im wondering if the catch cans may be better for me.
I put 1120 miles a month on the car minimum. That is just me driving too work. Not counting everything else. I clean them once a month at this point. They don't stop working because they are super oily. Then only thing that might happen if you don't clean them enough is oil might actually get in the engine bay.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

I put 1120 miles a month on the car minimum. That is just me driving too work. Not counting everything else. I clean them once a month at this point. They don't stop working because they are super oily. Then only thing that might happen if you don't clean them enough is oil might actually get in the engine bay.
Awesome. Im gonna go ahead and order a pair then. $60 is definitely worth the extra protection.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I guess I didn't notice before how much farther the passenger's side breathers stuck out than the drivers side. Maybe a factor in the whole low-pressure, high-pressure jib-jab?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3855562109.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	476.6 KB
ID:	113501  
Please dear God, protect my sweet ride.

2013 California Specil GT "Tater"
jdemK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemK View Post
I guess I didn't notice before how much farther the passenger's side breathers stuck out than the drivers side. Maybe a factor in the whole low-pressure, high-pressure jib-jab?
Passenger side has the PCV valve, driver side doesn't
DirtyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/users/27245-albums4627-29754.jpg[/IMG]

Just installed
Old 06-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but this depends on how you drive. I stand on the accelerator at every chance, which is likely why I fill up more than others. I am NA for now, so a can is fine for my purposes
Its actually the opposite. The more you get on your accelerator then LESS the engine is in vacuum therefore its sucking in less. I babied my car for the first ~1000 miles and installed a bobs oil seperator and check it at around 2000 and it had a good amount of oil in it. I will post pictures when I get home. Love the bobs oil separator btw its top notch. I got the carbon fiber finish and it looks awesome.
l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Just installed
Fixed that for ya
Old 06-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #35
Admin

Supporter
Admin

In reading about this (catch can verses breather filters), I found that installing filters deletes the engines vacuum ability to remove it's gases and water vapor. I installed a breather filter on the drivers side, as this side draws in fresh air into the crankcase. On the passenger side, you want the PVC and a tube from it connected to the intake. This has the vacuum at needed at idle, when the intake pressure is higher than the crankcase, allowing for the gas fumes/blowby to be drawn from the crankcase, and into the intake to be burned. Without this tube connected to the intake, and using just a breather filter as I had done initially, does not get the gases/blowby out of the crankcase as well, and can contaminate the oil.

Place a catch can inline with this tube to seperate any of the oil mist within this tube, and preventing it from contaminating the throttle body/seats of the valves.

In short, here's what was recommended:

•Leave the PCV exactly as it is and ensure it is clean and functioning correctly
•Enlarge the outlets from the crank case for breathing purposes
•Add a good catch can inline with the breather hose(s)
•If legal, vent the breather to the atmosphere through a smallish filter rather than into the intake or turbo inlet

To me, this sounds like using the catch can on the drivers side, but then the outlet of the catch can is connected to a filter, rather than the intake.

Read more on the pros/cons of filters verses catch cans here:

http://www.enginebasics.com/Engine%2...ntilation.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT