Ford Pro Cal or other tunning? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
K2Steeda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colonia
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 93
Ford Pro Cal or other tunning?


Hey all. Had a bama race tune on my 09 GT and loved it. Made a nicedifference. Although for some reason I am hesitant to do the same on my 2014GT. Has anyone used the Ford Pro Cal? I am really digging the fact that it is warrantyfriendly if installed by a dealer. Any input would be great.

Thanks,
__________________
K2Steeda
2014 GT 5.0 Brembo's and 3.73's. FRPP Shifter, Steeda Intake Bama V2 Tune, Accufab 84.5 TB, Borla S-Type, Lethal Over Axel, JBA X, DSS Shaft, Steeda Panhard, Steeda LCA, Koni Streets, K Springs, GT500 Mounts.
2004 Maxima SE Daily Driver
K2Steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
2013fiveO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kaiserslautern, Germany
Region: Europe
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Steeda View Post
Hey all. Had a bama race tune on my 09 GT and loved it. Made a nicedifference. Although for some reason I am hesitant to do the same on my 2014GT. Has anyone used the Ford Pro Cal? I am really digging the fact that it is warrantyfriendly if installed by a dealer. Any input would be great.

Thanks,
I was in the same boat as you. Worried about the warranty. I have no experience with the procal but read probly hundreds of websites and forum threads about how it sucks. Very mild. If you want to see the real potential of the 5.0 you are going to have to tune with a reputable tune/tuner. I waited until 10000 miles to tune. I had some issues at first. But that was the risk I knew was involved. But I would definitely do it again.
__________________
2013 GT 6MT, 3.31s, Brembo Pckg, Sync
Mods: AED Tune,Boss 302 IM, BBK 85mm TB,Kooks SS Shorty Headers,HF Cats,Alum 1pc DS,Hotchkis Subframe Connectors,Steeda CAI,Roush Axlebacks,Barton Shifter,SR Clutch Line,Boss Oil/Trans Coolers,SVT Fan,Steeda Sport Springs/LCAs/UCA/Shifter Bracket/HD Motor Mounts,BMR LCA Relo Brackets,Koni Shocks/Struts,GT500 Strut Mounts,JLT Oil Sep,Hood Struts,GT500 Spoiler,MMD Taillight Trim,OEM Leather Seats,MT Street Comps on black AMRs,MT ET Street Radial IIs on black Bullits(track duty).
2013fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
K2Steeda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colonia
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 93
Thanks for the reply. I'll prob wait another few weeks till I atleast have 1000 miles then do a bama tune. It's not a DD so I wont be putting much on it anyway.

Thanks,
__________________
K2Steeda
2014 GT 5.0 Brembo's and 3.73's. FRPP Shifter, Steeda Intake Bama V2 Tune, Accufab 84.5 TB, Borla S-Type, Lethal Over Axel, JBA X, DSS Shaft, Steeda Panhard, Steeda LCA, Koni Streets, K Springs, GT500 Mounts.
2004 Maxima SE Daily Driver
K2Steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Steeda View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'll prob wait another few weeks till I atleast have 1000 miles then do a bama tune. It's not a DD so I wont be putting much on it anyway.

Thanks,
I see you've already made your decision! Please let me know if I can be of any assistance. Give the Bama team a call when you're ready to place your order and we'll gladly get you squared away! Our Bama Performance tuning specialists are here in the building Monday-Friday from 9AM-5:30PM EST and Saturday 9AM-5:30PM EST. You can hit them up directly at 888.226.9764 and they'll get you squared away!

Thank you for letting us tune both of your Mustangs, we really appreciate it!

-Dan
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
kramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: keene
Region: New Hampshire
Posts: 86
I've had little luck finding a specific answer to that. I am a believer it well engineered systems, whether it be suspension, CAI, whatever, and I really think the Ford engineers have proven they know how to engineer a great engine and safely squeeze the most out of it. That said, there's a boatload of people on this site that are very happy with the Bama tune so hard to argue. So , like any mods, do your homework and go with what you feel comfy with. I personally intend to go with the Ford but not until the end of the summer as it will follow the new wheels and tires, brake upgrade and springs. I will report when I'm done but probably a bit late for you. Good Luck!
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,974
If by "sucks" you mean Procal transforms the engine's driving character into a snappy, responsive, better mileage engine than yeah, it sucks.

Put it another way....I have a full weight, full option BBP 3.73 '12 and I'm right on the edge of 11s with the Procal, like 12.0 on the edge, at 114 mph. No weight reduction, 1/2 a tank of gas, about 3750 pounds of of race weight.

So for a mild 91 octane street tune, it's doing ok. That's about 432 hp worth of ok on no other engine mods, according to my calcs.

Ford installed it, the warranty support is unparalleled if you actually read it. If this matters then there is only one real choice. Oh and BTW, you can have this tune at your door for about $280, which is tough to match. You can't even buy the tuner, much less the tune, for that money anywhere else. I had it put in and paperworked for a $50 at my local Roush dealer.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
K2Steeda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colonia
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 93
Thanks for all the feed back. I did some research and found some really positive reviews on the pro cal. I think ill take my time and wait to break her in more then place an order next month. Perhaps some suspension upgrades in the mean time.
__________________
K2Steeda
2014 GT 5.0 Brembo's and 3.73's. FRPP Shifter, Steeda Intake Bama V2 Tune, Accufab 84.5 TB, Borla S-Type, Lethal Over Axel, JBA X, DSS Shaft, Steeda Panhard, Steeda LCA, Koni Streets, K Springs, GT500 Mounts.
2004 Maxima SE Daily Driver
K2Steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
SolidRRaxle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
If by "sucks" you mean Procal transforms the engine's driving character into a snappy, responsive, better mileage engine than yeah, it sucks.

Put it another way....I have a full weight, full option BBP 3.73 '12 and I'm right on the edge of 11s with the Procal, like 12.0 on the edge, at 114 mph. No weight reduction, 1/2 a tank of gas, about 3750 pounds of of race weight.

So for a mild 91 octane street tune, it's doing ok. That's about 432 hp worth of ok on no other engine mods, according to my calcs.

Ford installed it, the warranty support is unparalleled if you actually read it. If this matters then there is only one real choice. Oh and BTW, you can have this tune at your door for about $280, which is tough to match. You can't even buy the tuner, much less the tune, for that money anywhere else. I had it put in and paperworked for a $50 at my local Roush dealer.
+1

90+% of the 'it sucks' reviews seem to be Bama fanboys. Bama gives you more power, yes. Are they LIkELY to cause an issue in the first 75k miles? hard to tell with this new engine, but unlikely. that being said, this tune is made with intimate knowledge of the car.

I have had it for the last 4k miles and I can say I agree with everything 5LHO stated.
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
You can't argue with a 12.0 ET and being stock.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,974
I will shove this thing into the 11s, as is. That's my goal with it this year.

What is interesting is that people still conflate box tune performance with custom, which isn't fair.

A box tune, whomever it comes from, will always be tuned a little safe, a little conservative. A custom tune written from datalogs of actual engine operating PIDs and/or dyno runs can take a little more margin out safely.

What's surprising to me is lots of these box 93 octane "race" tunes aren't really outperforming the Procal setup. AED or other custom tune? Yeah, I readily concede that those will be better but, that's 700+ bucks worth of cost and a lot of fiddling about to get things right.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
jayman33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
I will shove this thing into the 11s, as is. That's my goal with it this year.

What is interesting is that people still conflate box tune performance with custom, which isn't fair.

A box tune, whomever it comes from, will always be tuned a little safe, a little conservative. A custom tune written from datalogs of actual engine operating PIDs and/or dyno runs can take a little more margin out safely.

What's surprising to me is lots of these box 93 octane "race" tunes aren't really outperforming the Procal setup. AED or other custom tune? Yeah, I readily concede that those will be better but, that's 700+ bucks worth of cost and a lot of fiddling about to get things right.
I guess I fail to see your point. The pro cal is decent but there is much better. There are a few misleading numbers your coming up with. 700+ for a custom tune? Eh, not the case. Go with VMP or Lund with a mail order tune and they will datalog it to get it right. I've seen many cars on VMP "non-custom" mail order tunes where a few very reputable dyno tuners couldn't pull too much more power. I'm a VMP dealer and can tell you it wont cost 700+ for a tune that will net you much more power than a pro-cal.
I will say going 12.- is good however, there are a few shops that have got in the 11's on a stock tune.
__________________
A boss.....
jayman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
K2Steeda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colonia
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 93
Iwould be happy with low 12's all day. Alsowill be happy knowing I’m not out of warranty protection if something were togo wrong. Now I know the chances may be minimal but I'm not in a position toexpose myself to that kind of a headache. At least not yet! I’m justlooking for a little extra get up and go. I’m also just happy to be back in a mustang. I put my last one into a tree on a blind uphillright. Hit some black ice and that wasall she wrote. Almost didn’t make it outof that one.
__________________
K2Steeda
2014 GT 5.0 Brembo's and 3.73's. FRPP Shifter, Steeda Intake Bama V2 Tune, Accufab 84.5 TB, Borla S-Type, Lethal Over Axel, JBA X, DSS Shaft, Steeda Panhard, Steeda LCA, Koni Streets, K Springs, GT500 Mounts.
2004 Maxima SE Daily Driver
K2Steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Isn't procal the one with the extremely loud engine tick?
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
SolidRRaxle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Steeda
Iwould be happy with low 12's all day. Alsowill be happy knowing I’m not out of warranty protection if something were togo wrong. Now I know the chances may be minimal but I'm not in a position toexpose myself to that kind of a headache. At least not yet! I’m justlooking for a little extra get up and go. I’m also just happy to be back in a mustang. I put my last one into a tree on a blind uphillright. Hit some black ice and that wasall she wrote. Almost didn’t make it outof that one.
Ouch! Sorry to hear. Good that you got another one!

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy
Isn't procal the one with the extremely loud engine tick?
Not since the first year coyotes, but keep perpetuating that one
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman33 View Post
I guess I fail to see your point. The pro cal is decent but there is much better. There are a few misleading numbers your coming up with. 700+ for a custom tune? Eh, not the case. Go with VMP or Lund with a mail order tune and they will datalog it to get it right. I've seen many cars on VMP "non-custom" mail order tunes where a few very reputable dyno tuners couldn't pull too much more power. I'm a VMP dealer and can tell you it wont cost 700+ for a tune that will net you much more power than a pro-cal.
I will say going 12.- is good however, there are a few shops that have got in the 11's on a stock tune.
You price out the cost of the tuner box itself and then the time of the tuner to create the custom tune for you and I don't see that happening for a lot less than what I said. The SCT box is easily 3 bills + on its own.

I'm not a shop. I'm just some guy running a mild tune moderately successfully on a fully bloat-loaded road car, not some shop special. I drive in to the track, do my runs and drive home, in the comfort of having every option in the order book ticked off, save glass roof. How many shop cars are set up like that?

I could easily get 11s by pulling out the interior, running really low fuel, dropping my sway bars, blah, blah. I want to do it on the car I drive every day, full stop. That's an accomplishment, in my eyes.

I'll be forthright and say I run slicks and I have a Roush upper and UMI lowers, (no relos), in addition to the Procal. That stuff's there to control the destructive BBP wheel hop.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
SolidRRaxle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman33

I guess I fail to see your point. The pro cal is decent but there is much better. There are a few misleading numbers your coming up with. 700+ for a custom tune? Eh, not the case. Go with VMP or Lund with a mail order tune and they will datalog it to get it right. I've seen many cars on VMP "non-custom" mail order tunes where a few very reputable dyno tuners couldn't pull too much more power. I'm a VMP dealer and can tell you it wont cost 700+ for a tune that will net you much more power than a pro-cal.
I will say going 12.- is good however, there are a few shops that have got in the 11's on a stock tune.
Don't mean to double-team here. Just want to point out I have read Lund has over aggressive tunes and has blown engines. May be blamed partly on components as well, but this is the one tune. Wouldn't put on my car even if I got it for free.
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,974
Look through this gallery of photos from my home track. Mine is the Red Candy '12 with the burning magnesium flare foglights, #146. Check the hook I'm getting here...it's close to pulling a tire on the high side.

Street Legals | Mission Raceway

Not really relevant to the discussion but, just sharing....
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #18
Registered User
Newbie
 
nculp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: colorado springs
Region: Colorado
Posts: 15
5LHO. What did you run before the pro cal?
nculp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,974
Not totally fair since I changed tire type and brand as well. All I can say is the procal is supporting my full weight car to the speed and time it's doing now. hell I'm texting this from the track gates hehe
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #20
Registered User
Newbie
 
Phoenix335's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Washington
Posts: 18
I had the procal installed yesterday. I can say it is a noticeable difference. I autox a lot and one of the reasons I wanted it for was to improve the throttle response. It the increase in tq in the low rpm range is significant. For $375 installed it was well worth it. I'm sure the other tunes that don't provide ant warranty are better, but for my 13 wit 7k miles I wanted the peace of mind. Oh and I have no issues with the reported pinging.
Phoenix335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:57 AM   #21
Registered User
Newbie
 
nculp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: colorado springs
Region: Colorado
Posts: 15
5lho i want the pro cal but so many different reviews i just cant pull the trigger did you ever run your car with pro cal and street tirés with no suspension mods?
nculp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #22
Registered User
Newbie
 
KC Henry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: KC
Region: Kansas
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle View Post
90+% of the 'it sucks' reviews seem to be Bama fanboys.
Truth.
__________________

2012 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0L Kona Blue Sexiness
2001 Ranger XTL XCab/Stepside 4x4 - 4.0L/5sp Auto
1978 Caprice Coupe - 11 Sec Cammed LQ9 6.0L - Sold after 18 Years
KC Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by nculp9 View Post
5lho i want the pro cal but so many different reviews i just cant pull the trigger did you ever run your car with pro cal and street tirés with no suspension mods?
Yeah I did. Basically it gave away the better part of second just because of traction problems. Had nothing to do with the tune, just the fact it's dream on trying to lay power down on the Brembo Pirellis, straight line.

Man, it's $280 bucks for the tune online, even if you hate it is isn't a huge loss.

All the thing needs a good quality 91+ gas and an occasional profile relearn, (which the tuner does in 1 minute flat) to keep the owner happy.
__________________
2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto N/A tune. 100 shot nitrous on BBR tune. Best e/t 11.42 at 120.64

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



12:38 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.