Start up delay - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Start up delay

I know this is the 5.0 section but I'm sure most of y'all had 4.6 before so hopefully I don't get bashed on for posting here just looking for more experienced people that might have an idea or had similar problem...and yes I posted in the 05-09gt section as well.its for my 2010 gt so here it is.sorry for a long post

Well I ha already made a thread about this start up issue.again most of the time it starts up rt away like a car should.but sometimes when I'm running errands after a couple drives when I turn the car on its turns on but has that 1sec delay before turning over.ive had a battery change before and bout a month in a half ago had a bad maf sensor replaced.was fine since then and recently started again.i want to take it the dealership again but pretty sure they didn't find anything like they say n pretty sure if I take it to another dealer they say the same.i want to put a tune but with this going on I don't want to break something.any input
Torchred2010gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Coolant temp sensor? Dirty filter? Just do a search for things that cause hard HOT starts
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Is it a manual?? Ive noticed with mine i have to push the clutch in ALL the way for it to start. Sometimes i get lazy and the same kind of thing happens to me. Just a thought.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich View Post
Coolant temp sensor? Dirty filter? Just do a search for things that cause hard HOT starts
Well looked it up.people have mentioned the timing,some spark plugs,starter and battery.since its stock with the exception of the bombs I wouldn't think the timing would be off.i got her with 6800 miles now almost 24000 and was already thinking of tune up.and I assume since its a factory battery it'll be good.the funny thing ive taking it to autozone and pulled no codes as well as the dealer nothing.they say nothing.any recommendations

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Is it a manual?? Ive noticed with mine i have to push the clutch in ALL the way for it to start. Sometimes i get lazy and the same kind of thing happens to me. Just a thought.
Yes sir it is and it's always push in all the way.i mean the new cars have all these new electronics but my 02gt never did this
Old 06-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah i figured it was a long shot, but figured id say something just incase. Throws me off every now and then.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 06-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I know the 2011 had a weird start up delay on some cars. I'd only had mine do it once. Others would have it all the time. Might be worth looking into that and what the cause might be?

I don't know the 4.6L too well but might be a similar component between the two since your 2010 minus the engine and trans is somewhat similar?

I have a feeling it won't help you at all but throwing ideas out.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah i figured it was a long shot, but figured id say something just incase. Throws me off every now and then.
Ill take any advice.i was gonna change out the plugs for better ones pretty much a tune up maybe as well a better battery even though shes only going be 24000 maybe it'll do better.if not change the starter or alternator idk haha.the dealer said everything is fine though so idk if should leave it alone but don't want to put spend money on unnecessary parts.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
I know the 2011 had a weird start up delay on some cars. I'd only had mine do it once. Others would have it all the time. Might be worth looking into that and what the cause might be?

I don't know the 4.6L too well but might be a similar component between the two since your 2010 minus the engine and trans is somewhat similar?

I have a feeling it won't help you at all but throwing ideas out.
Any ideas is worth it to me.when I had the dealer look at it i also tried to demonstrate but she must've known she was ther started up perfectly haha after shell do it.but when I left it i told them to check everything from starter fuel pump plugs.they said they checked eveything n found nothing until the bad maf sensor.im going to make an appt next week since I work n going out of town this weekend but taking it to a different dealer to see if they do any different.but really want to tune her don't want to blow something haha
Old 06-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
+1. I've had it happen with mine. There's literally a 1/16" where the switch is engaged in the clutch pedal to allow for start. There's times I've been convinced its fully depressed only to push just a tad harder and felt it move just a hair, and then ignition. Maybe that switch or sensor is going out on yours, it could be faulty. Good luck!
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post

+1. I've had it happen with mine. There's literally a 1/16" where the switch is engaged in the clutch pedal to allow for start. There's times I've been convinced its fully depressed only to push just a tad harder and felt it move just a hair, and then ignition. Maybe that switch or sensor is going out on yours, it could be faulty. Good luck!
Exactly. Glad im not the only 5.0 owner that's noticed it lol.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I think its a faulty relay in the starter system, if its not the clutch peddle switch.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
Quote:

Is there a way to adjust the switch?
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominkc View Post

I honestly have no idea. Sorry. I doubt that's the problem, just a guess.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #14
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominkc View Post

I don't know for sure but my best educated guess would be no. If its an electrical switch then it's either on or off and the only adjustment would be a bypass which would allow you to start the car ALWAYS, which needless to say it pretty unsafe

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
I don't know for sure but my best educated guess would be no. If its an electrical switch then it's either on or off and the only adjustment would be a bypass which would allow you to start the car ALWAYS, which needless to say it pretty unsafe
Pretty unsafe huh?

It's amazing my generation didn't kill themselves what with being able to start cars even when the clutch was out or receive a book full of warnings (bigger than the manual) when buying a lawnmower. You whippersnappers these days.... <waves cane> Get off my porch!

Back on topic though - I had a Ford that the clutch pedal switch was going out and it was doing what you're describing, OP. Maybe the contacts are getting a little worn or something?
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #16
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish View Post

Pretty unsafe huh?

It's amazing my generation didn't kill themselves what with being able to start cars even when the clutch was out or receive a book full of warnings (bigger than the manual) when buying a lawnmower. You whippersnappers these days.... <waves cane> Get off my porch!

Back on topic though - I had a Ford that the clutch pedal switch was going out and it was doing what you're describing, OP. Maybe the contacts are getting a little worn or something?
I get what you mean, but don't you think there's a reason there was a safety switch installed that makes it so you can only start the car with the clutch disengaged. I'm not saying everyone will kill themselves, but there was obviously enough of a need for these that they were invented and put to use

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

Yes a switch is either open or closed. A relay is a switch that operates on electrical current, (electro magnet) a low voltage condition will slow it down.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I get what you mean, but don't you think there's a reason there was a safety switch installed that makes it so you can only start the car with the clutch disengaged. I'm not saying everyone will kill themselves, but there was obviously enough of a need for these that they were invented and put to use
Yeah, there's obviously a need - people are getting stupider and more sue happy. I'm very sad for the lack of personal responsibility in our world today - we always cater to the lowest common denominator now.

Years ago the pivot bolt broke on my clutch pedal and I didn't have far to go to get it where I could fix it. I knew the car well enough that I could shut it down at the stop light, restart it in gear and match the shifts up so I could shift without a clutch pedal. With cars these days I'd have had to get it towed half a mile. Don't get me wrong, I know that the switch has other uses like knowing to kill cruise control if you shift.

Sorry to go all off-topic, OP.
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #19
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Yeah, there's obviously a need - people are getting stupider and more sue happy. I'm very sad for the lack of personal responsibility in our world today - we always cater to the lowest common denominator now.

Years ago the pivot bolt broke on my clutch pedal and I didn't have far to go to get it where I could fix it. I knew the car well enough that I could shut it down at the stop light, restart it in gear and match the shifts up so I could shift without a clutch pedal. With cars these days I'd have had to get it towed half a mile. Don't get me wrong, I know that the switch has other uses like knowing to kill cruise control if you shift.

Sorry to go all off-topic, OP.
I know what you meant! And I agree, we are so quick to call those that use common sense insensitive for expecting the dumb ones to figure it out too. Everyone wants to feel sorry for those that a too stupid to know better.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
You can change the point on the "switch"

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Clutch Position Sensor, look it up OP
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You know I have noticed that when I press on it there has been a different feel like it went in all the way.but even when I pressed all the way it'll still do it the delay start up.what I forgot to mention as well before I turn the key to start I always let the needles do its sweep first then start.but it usually happend after I have driven it a couple times.sometime it'll do it most of the time it won't
Old 06-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Pretty unsafe huh?

Idk I mean I was thinking up grading to stage one clutch and other necessary parts when I get the money.but just haven't decided if I want to trade yet

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

I really appreciate all y'all's input on this annoying problem I have and if y'all have more ideas of what it could be or I can do please let me know.do y'all think a regular tune up with better plugs an maybe a better battery might help any?whats a good brand to use on my 10gt that could deliver a better spark battery as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT