New 5.0 Engine Fuel Type - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
New 5.0 Engine Fuel Type

Hi I just got a 14' GT last Friday and it is just about to cross over to 200 miles on the odometer. I am going to be filling it up today and would like to know if I should use 87 (regular) or 91(premium) on the new engine? Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I always run 91. But my tune is for 91 as well...
86 muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
I use nothing but the best for my 5.0. Shell 93. Congrats on the new car and welcome.
elnegro5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
i dont know what the best is but i use shell 93 also, with the race tune
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Use 91 or better, anything less and you're putting unnecessary stress and wear on the motor. And use good gas too, shell, Sunoco, texaco etc

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Are cars are designed to run 87 octane all the way to 94 octane.. Although its very good practice especially with a high performance motor to always fill it up with good gas.. Use 91 or better
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G View Post
Are cars are designed to run 87 octane all the way to 94 octane.. Although its very good practice especially with a high performance motor to always fill it up with good gas.. Use 91 or better
Being clear with this....it "can" run on 87 but with an 11.0:1 compression you shouldn't really run 87 and push the car hard. Ford does recommend 91 or better. I always run 93 Shell.

Honestly if you got this car and can't afford 91 or 93 octane you got the wrong car .
Old 06-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
On top of running 91-93, you may want to run Seafoam through the gas tank annually or so. It burns off all the sediment and gives your car a fun little bit of extra edge for a little while.
Mod List: H&R Super Sport Springs, Eibach Camber Bolts, Steeda Panhard Bar, BBK Cold Air Intake, Stack Racing Chrome Strut Tower Bar, Boss 302 Coil Pack Covers, Barton Shifter, Barton 2 Post Bracket, 4.10 Gear, 2013 Track Pack Wheels, QA1 Single Adjustable Rear Shocks, Roush Axle-back exhaust, CDC Chin Spoiler, Saleen Grille,
Defiant 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Being clear with this....it "can" run on 87 but with an 11.0:1 compression you shouldn't really run 87 and push the car hard. Ford does recommend 91 or better. I always run 93 Shell.

Honestly if you got this car and can't afford 91 or 93 octane you got the wrong car .
Word.

just because you can doesn't mean you should. High compression means higher octane fuel is required. The ability of the PCM to ****** engine timing is a bandaid fix for cheap/low grade fuel useage

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
As these guys mentioned, it's best to run 91 or higher if you can. The price difference is well worth the results. Especially when paired with a custom tune!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Only Shell 93 here as well. I've been told Shell is one of a few companies that has dedicated tankers and tanks for their V Power gas. My good friend has a BMW M3, and he said BMW recommended Shell, and I know the Audi dealership I went to for my old car said the same. Stick with the good stuff!
DeJoe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant 5.0 View Post
On top of running 91-93, you may want to run Seafoam through the gas tank annually or so. It burns off all the sediment and gives your car a fun little bit of extra edge for a little while.
What is seafoam? And where can you get it?
Jsmorley81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmorley81 View Post

Run a good brand of gas to start with and you won't need any snake oil.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnegro5.0 View Post
I use nothing but the best for my 5.0. Shell 93. Congrats on the new car and welcome.
Me too sir. Bought June 29th 2012 and shell 93 ever since. car loves it

Borla Exhaust Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eZpnBuQiag

GT500 Muffler sound clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkGKwxQkTc8
Filth and Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

Run a good brand of gas to start with and you won't need any snake oil.
Very true. But since he asked, you can get seafoam, only at any Auto parts store, Walmart, some gas stations, really, anywhere. I would use bg over seafoam on a new car.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
You lose 10 hp going from 93 to 87... Easy decision for me!
2016 Gt/Cs autowith 3:55', mbrp cat back and a n/a build on the way!...
blackbeast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Thanks I can afford the 93 which was all I ran in my last car a 2006 Civic SI because it was "required." I plan to do the same with my GT, but saw in the manual it could run on 87 and just wanted a second opinion.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford302ize View Post

Thanks I can afford the 93 which was all I ran in my last car a 2006 Civic SI because it was "required." I plan to do the same with my GT, but saw in the manual it could run on 87 and just wanted a second opinion.
Considering we see these threads at least once month and a quick Google search yields the answer expect some flak about it.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I have the track package which gives you an ECU bump demanding more octane. I always use 93 even in cars that do not need it as they put better additives in the better gas. No cheap gas or you will one day get a bad tank full and have to sort out the problems it causes.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #20
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftodaro View Post
I have the track package which gives you an ECU bump demanding more octane. I always use 93 even in cars that do not need it as they put better additives in the better gas. No cheap gas or you will one day get a bad tank full and have to sort out the problems it causes.
The track pack mustang ecu is no different than any other GT mustang with the exception of more lenient/ less invasive traction control. So I'm not sure what you mean by ecu bump the demands more octane.

Also running higher octane has in a vehicle that does not require it can lead to issues over time, the higher octane fuel does not burn as completely as lower octane fuel does in a lower compression vehicle and can clog cats over time and foul out o2 sensors.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-08-2013, 02:45 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Get a few miles on the car and then tune it for E85. In the mean time, you can run whatever premium gas is around. Mobil seems to be the best around here, but I've ran V-power on a previous vehicle and the engine was very clean when opened.
fun4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:35 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
The track pack mustang ecu is no different than any other GT mustang with the exception of more lenient/ less invasive traction control. So I'm not sure what you mean by ecu bump the demands more octane.

Also running higher octane has in a vehicle that does not require it can lead to issues over time, the higher octane fuel does not burn as completely as lower octane fuel does in a lower compression vehicle and can clog cats over time and foul out o2 sensors.
My bad, i was told that the tune is more aggressive but did not investigate it. I guess less Traction control is more aggressive.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #23
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftodaro View Post
My bad, i was told that the tune is more aggressive but did not investigate it. I guess less Traction control is more aggressive.
I don't doubt you were told that, I bet the dealer told you that didn't they.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Sea Foam Motor Tune - Up : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors

Seafoam. I've used it in my old SRT4, I've seen other guys run it thru their LT1s, LS1s, the old 5.0....just about anything. Creates a cool cloud of death and smells like hell for a few miles, but cleans out the crap that sticks in vacuum lines. Putting a little in the gas tank isn't a bad idea either. Sediment and... I'm not sure if it's a water remover.

There's some pretty epic youtube videos of kids being trolls with the seafoam cloud. Isn't really my thing, but I suppose that's one added benefit.

Also, put some decent gas into that woman for chrissakes. 93 here (tuned for it) and I'd go ethanol free if there were any pumps in Illinois that weren't adding 10%.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast12 View Post
You lose 10 hp going from 93 to 87... Easy decision for me!
I read somewhere that on 87 octane, the coyote is rated at 402 hp at the crank and on premium (not sure if it was 91 or 93 octane) its rated at 420 hp.
2013_DIB_GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_DIB_GTCS View Post

I read somewhere that on 87 octane, the coyote is rated at 402 hp at the crank and on premium (not sure if it was 91 or 93 octane) its rated at 420 hp.
I read that too, sometimes it's on the fine print of certain Mustang ads... All the more reason to run nothing less than 93 in it... It's a no brainer if u wanna get the most out of your car
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Quote:

I don't doubt you were told that, I bet the dealer told you that didn't they.
Hahahahahahaha that made me laugh so hard! I just imagined a dealer sitting there blowing smoke about **** they don't know. I remember once I asked a question and the salesman was like hold on and pulled out the owners manual.... Sad really!
BigP0314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #28
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigP0314 View Post

Hahahahahahaha that made me laugh so hard! I just imagined a dealer sitting there blowing smoke about **** they don't know. I remember once I asked a question and the salesman was like hold on and pulled out the owners manual.... Sad really!
I don't expect anyone to know everything, but I expect a professional to be able to know where to find an answer instead of just blurting out the first thing that comes to mind or whatever sounds good because it seems like it makes sense

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Ya you can't expect a salesman to know everything about all the products on the lot, but knowing where to find the answers at is a must. I consider myself to be a mustang enthusiast, but I'll be the first to tell you I don't know everything.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I had never owned a new mustang, being 10 plus, but I to taught my dealer things about this car he didn't know. And that's sad. They offered me a job because I could tell them more about what they had on there lot then they could! Back on topic, just run the highest grade pump has you can.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Not well known, but much of the time a gas station's mid-grades are actually the same as the premium grade. All the regulations require is that a grade be at least the octane advertised, so mid-grades can be the same at the premium. This saves the refinery from actually making more than two grades.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #32
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
I would not suggest it. Shell and Mobil both have good quantities of additives to prevent the build up of crap on the valves and backside of the throttle body.

And install an oil seperator on the passenger side of the engine. This works. I empty about two tablespoons of oil from the container each week (I drive about 600 miles of highway driving a week).
Old 06-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Can you run race gas in the 5.0. I've got a 2011 5.0 with full bolt on's. and gears. Plus suspension. I've been dying to fill up the tank with dome race gas. Just to do it but do not know if will hurt any thing or not. Just wondering
Jsmorley81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #34
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Can you run race gas in the 5.0. I've got a 2011 5.0 with full bolt on's. and gears. Plus suspension. I've been dying to fill up the tank with dome race gas. Just to do it but do not know if will hurt any thing or not. Just wondering
It wouldn't do anything for you whatsoever, even if you tuned for it, there's no point in runnin race gas on an NA car

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It wouldn't do anything for you whatsoever, even if you tuned for it, there's no point in runnin race gas on an NA car
I agree with this to an extent. Race gas will prevent just about any chance of detonation and under extremely high compression motors or boosted applications it works well. The 5.0 motor is high compression but not as much as the average race car motor. Under WOT the properties and benefits of running race gas or even E85 can be seen but driving daily will be a huge waste of not only the gas, but your money as well.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT