Heat soak? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Heat soak?

What is heat soak and what can be done cure?if anyone has read my last post about my starting issue
Torchred2010gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Heatsoak is when your engine gets hot and will heat up your intake (or supercharger, if you have one). This means the air going through your intake gets hotter, and when its hotter you make less power because the air isn't as dense. Really the only way to get rid of it is to let your car sit and cool off. This is why when you drag race you should wait 20 minutes between each run so that your engine has time to cool down.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Heatsoak is when your engine gets hot and will heat up your intake (or supercharger, if you have one). This means the air going through your intake gets hotter, and when its hotter you make less power because the air isn't as dense. Really the only way to get rid of it is to let your car sit and cool off. This is why when you drag race you should wait 20 minutes between each run so that your engine has time to cool down.
Could this be the problem I might have?after I do a couple drives it'll start but it'll act like weak start but most if he it'll start rt away but sometimes a feels like a weak start.plus I do feel heat by my legs at times as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Soccerluvr4 is most of the way on track. The reason you make less power is because the engine pulls timing. When you IAT's get to high your ecu will ****** the timing to prevent detonation. As long as you keep the car moving IAT's won't get too high but once you stop at a light on a moderately warm day it'll really set it

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchred2010gt View Post

Could this be the problem I might have?after I do a couple drives it'll start but it'll act like weak start but most if he it'll start rt away but sometimes a feels like a weak start.plus I do feel heat by my legs at times as well
Seriously doubt that is whats causing your starting issue. Heat soak will cost you some power if sitting in bad traffic or at a long light, like grabber already told ya, but all it does is pull timing, it has nothing to do with the way the car starts up.

Have you checked the relay and fuses for you're starter? Maybe its on its way out the door, or you got some condensation or residue on it, and at times limits the contacts.
Also could be a bad ignition switch.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Seriously doubt that is whats causing your starting issue. Heat soak will cost you some power if sitting in bad traffic or at a long light, like grabber already told ya, but all it does is pull timing, it has nothing to do with the way the car starts up.

Have you checked the relay and fuses for you're starter? Maybe its on its way out the door, or you got some condensation or residue on it, and at times limits the contacts.
Also could be a bad ignition switch.
Ok I see where y'all are getting at thanks guys.i guess the only thing for me is imma try out a tune up better battery and maybe a new starter before I put a tune.i mean even autozone didn't pull any codes so i guess ill be safe with bamas safe tune.yall think ill be safe
Old 06-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok I see where y'all are getting at thanks guys.i guess the only thing for me is imma try out a tune up better battery and maybe a new starter before I put a tune.i mean even autozone didn't pull any codes so i guess ill be safe with bamas safe tune.yall think ill be safe
Like i said, check all the basic stuff first. All your fuses and relays (inside and outside of the car) for the starter, and ignition. Also check to make sure your battery and battery cables are secure. A loose connection, or a fuse/relay with a not-so-clean blade will cause this.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 06-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

My car used to have the same starting issue. It wouldn't want to start after some driving, that was when I first got it and was putting 87 octane in it. I filled it up with 91 and a can of seafoam and it rarely does it anymore, and if it does then its not nearly as bad as it used to be.

HID end all thread
Old 06-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My car used to have the same starting issue. It wouldn't want to start after some driving, that was when I first got it and was putting 87 octane in it. I filled it up with 91 and a can of seafoam and it rarely does it anymore, and if it does then its not nearly as bad as it used to be.
So then I should be ok to put a tune then
Old 06-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

You should do a tune up to your car. So check all your fluids, maybe some seafoam, change the oil filter, fuel filter ect... That would be the best way to start.

HID end all thread
Old 06-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You should do a tune up to your car. So check all your fluids, maybe some seafoam, change the oil filter, fuel filter ect... That would be the best way to start.
Yea that's what I was thinking.she ha a lil 24000 miles but I figure why not do it now.but thanks everyone for y'all's input really appreciate
Old 06-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea that's what I was thinking.she ha a lil 24000 miles but I figure why not do it now.but thanks everyone for y'all's input really appreciate
A tune up wont hurt at all, but with only 24k i really doubt thats the route of your problem tho. Keep us posted man, we will try and help you out as much as we can. Make sure to check your ignition and starter fuses/relays!
Old 06-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
A tune up wont hurt at all, but with only 24k i really doubt thats the route of your problem tho. Keep us posted man, we will try and help you out as much as we can. Make sure to check your ignition and starter fuses/relays!
Ill definantly keep y'all posted. I mean its 2010gt n I know its the 5.0 section but I like the feedback n suggestions.and I can't wait for a tune.i don't race but I go fast.i use 91 octane only so I can imagine how it would feel with a tune

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT