Stock hood and CAI - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Stock hood and CAI

If you put a CAI with the stock gt hood can the water get into the engine and damage it?
GT fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT fanatic View Post
If you put a CAI with the stock gt hood can the water get into the engine and damage it?
No, this is asked often. CAI come with heat shields and rubber gaskets that keep water from entering
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #3

Region: Canada
PS Some have said post add CAI would be covered under warranty.

Think I got the best answer from my dealer...."any non Ford part that does damage to car would not be covered""

Good answer: So, no damage (foul), no harm, but.....

(apparently a couple years ago guys were adding CAI's to a Ford p/up model with turbo, those that didn't wet the filter allowed particulate into turbos eroding them; Ford could tell immediately (even for dudes that later swapped back to the OEM intakes)

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

PPS ( I will still likely add an aftermarket to my '14 GT; had great success on my 06TL)
nkellybrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Honestly I would skip a CAI altogether if you are not planning to get a tune with it. Its been proven that a CAI alone yields little to no HP gain over the stock setup. Only benefit would be a slight increase in throttle response.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Honestly I would skip a CAI altogether if you are not planning to get a tune with it. Its been proven that a CAI alone yields little to no HP gain over the stock setup. Only benefit would be a slight increase in throttle response.
If I do get a CAI I will get a tune.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If I do get a CAI I will get a tune.
Smart move. Most of them will require a tune anyway. But Airaid makes one that does not, and i believe steeda as well.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 06-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Smart move. Most of them will require a tune anyway. But Airaid makes one that does not, and i believe steeda as well.
How many horses will I gain with the CAI and the tune? Like 5-10 right?
Old 06-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

How many horses will I gain with the CAI and the tune? Like 5-10 right?
You will get almost nothing from the CAI, but a good tune will get you close to 25-30hp. And a lot more torque under the curve
Old 06-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You will get almost nothing from the CAI, but a good tune will get you close to 25-30hp. And a lot more torque under the curve
25-30 isn't bad
Old 06-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

25-30 isn't bad
Nope
Old 06-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Airaid claims an 11 hp gain from the CAI with no tune.

The Steeda CAI does require a tune.
2013_DIB_GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_DIB_GTCS View Post

Airaid claims an 11 hp gain from the CAI with no tune.

The Steeda CAI does require a tune.
Claims is different than guaranteeing. If you do some research you will find that its been proven over and over again that a cai provides little to no HP gain on a dyno with these cars. We basically already have a cai setup from the factory, so an aftermarket system will really only improve your throttle response, and give you a slightly louder sound.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
There's a dyno sheet on Airaid's website "proving" 11 hp increase. That's where I got the 11 hp increase from.

http://airaid.com/Documents/DynoResu...264%20dyno.jpg
2013_DIB_GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_DIB_GTCS View Post
There's a dyno sheet on Airaid's website "proving" 11 hp increase. That's where I got the 11 hp increase from.

http://airaid.com/Documents/DynoResu...264%20dyno.jpg
That can be easily swayed by not controlling the conditions during dyno pulls. Of course the manufacturer is going to do that, but like i said, do some research and you will quickly find out that those are not real world numbers in a controlled dyno environment.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I would get jlt hood inserts just incase. W8lifter on YouTube did a test to see if water would enter his steeda cai and it was drenched.
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

People gotta realize that what a manufacturer "claims" or "proves", is different than a guarantee. A manufacturer can pretty much claim whatever they want. Hell i could claim that when Justin cant get it done, Jessica biel comes over to see me. But claiming something, or in the example of airaids dyno sheet, altering the control to change the outcome, doesn't make it true.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
K&N has a sealed box CAI that works well with the newer hoods. I purchased it because it was sealed - I did not want water to get into the engine. You can see pictures of it on my website: www.2013-mustang-gt.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT