Gear Lash?? 2014 GT new - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Gear Lash?? 2014 GT new

Ok... so had this GT a couple of weeks now. Test driving it i didn't know it, not being used to clutch and taking off i'd kick it up to 1200-1500 rpm and then let off at clutch. Now that i've gotten used to it, i do a little more letting off clutch before gas and take off even easier now. I've notice a noise that sounds like a blender/clatter/dump truck noise. Kind of embarrassing. Does it low rpm 1st and 2nd gear. Most noticeable if you let the car roll... like really no gas and clutch out.. like if you were cruising slow for a parking spot, then give it some gas you hear it real good.

Dealer says its "gear lash". I've read up on it, and supposedly its normal to make some noise. i've been told its MT82, performance... deal with it.

Test drove another GT with 3.55 gears, could barely hear it at all. My concern is that my excess noise may mean too much gear lash?

Im still talking with them but they go back to their little computer and contact ford that comes back with a text book response of let it ride... if the gears work ****'em!

I know theres other GTs same set up with nearly no noise at all.

Did the little test of having rear end up off ground, put it in first gear with car off, and grab back wheel and see how much you can rotate it. Moves about 3-4inches. Not much at all.

Any ideas?
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Blender/clatter/dumptruck noise.lol
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderKissGT View Post
Ok... so had this GT a couple of weeks now. Test driving it i didn't know it, not being used to clutch and taking off i'd kick it up to 1200-1500 rpm and then let off at clutch. Now that i've gotten used to it, i do a little more letting off clutch before gas and take off even easier now. I've notice a noise that sounds like a blender/clatter/dump truck noise. Kind of embarrassing. Does it low rpm 1st and 2nd gear. Most noticeable if you let the car roll... like really no gas and clutch out.. like if you were cruising slow for a parking spot, then give it some gas you hear it real good.

Dealer says its "gear lash". I've read up on it, and supposedly its normal to make some noise. i've been told its MT82, performance... deal with it.

Test drove another GT with 3.55 gears, could barely hear it at all. My concern is that my excess noise may mean too much gear lash?

Im still talking with them but they go back to their little computer and contact ford that comes back with a text book response of let it ride... if the gears work ****'em!

I know theres other GTs same set up with nearly no noise at all.

Did the little test of having rear end up off ground, put it in first gear with car off, and grab back wheel and see how much you can rotate it. Moves about 3-4inches. Not much at all.

Any ideas?

I have a '14 track pack 5.0 with 3.73s and I think i no what youre talking about. I hear a sort of blender/clunking ish noise when i take off in 1st gear and am moving very very slowly. Once i get going it no more. I think its normal and just something we have to deal with being thats its a mt82 tranny. I wouldnt worry about it.
l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey8 View Post

I have a '14 track pack 5.0 with 3.73s and I think i no what youre talking about. I hear a sort of blender/clunking ish noise when i take off in 1st gear and am moving very very slowly. Once i get going it no more. I think its normal and just something we have to deal with being thats its a mt82 tranny. I wouldnt worry about it.
Yup. I have 3.73s as well in my 14. The MT82 is a clunky loud trans as it is. As well as the 2 piece driveshaft. I had alot of noise when i first bought the car, but after a couple thousand miles it got a lot better. I wouldn't worry about it for now.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I hear the same thing. I just don't drive slow so it's never really an issue. Lol. All kidding aside, I only hear it at very low RPM and if I'm rolling at very low speed and let off the clutch. It concerned me at first but I barely notice it now. Who cares , she runs like a scalded cat so I can't complain.
SystemCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Sounds like the throwout bearing. 1st gear, very low RPM's it sounds like having rusty breaks or a friction noise.
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Get a louder exhaust lol
Sbales88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Bales View Post
Get a louder exhaust lol
This +100000000000
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Yup
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-448993843.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	113293  
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I get this a bit, post the Ford rebuild on my faulty MT82. It's centred in thte clutch area for me; I think it is the TO bearing just hanging up slightly. Everything works fine and a simple wrorkaournd is just load up the low gears a wee touch more before shifting.

The driveshaft can also be the source of some racket as well.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #11

Yeah exhaust is coming soon. But the noise sounds like its coming from up front, or directly underneath? I still think i'll hear it even with exhaust.

Im not about to try and make them buy it back over it; i do however find it lame that some gts barely make noise, and others are ridiculous and im told to get over it either way. I guess...
Old 06-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #12

Region: Florida
14 GT with 3.73s here. That noise is normal, characteristic of the mt82. Mime only does it when the car is warmed up.
jpl4k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderKissGT View Post
Yeah exhaust is coming soon. But the noise sounds like its coming from up front, or directly underneath? I still think i'll hear it even with exhaust.

Im not about to try and make them buy it back over it; i do however find it lame that some gts barely make noise, and others are ridiculous and im told to get over it either way. I guess...
Most Likely will still hear it. I have borla s types with a Res delete and I still hear it when I'm going very slowly in first. Once warmed up ad I get going I don't hear it
l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
You'll get used to it after awhile lol.
LovinmyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #15
Nay
Registered Member
Regular

I must be lucky, I 3.73's and I have never heard that noise.
Nay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay View Post
I must be lucky, I 3.73's and I have never heard that noise.
Same here. I do get some clutch noise if she's cold though, but never any rattling or crunching.

OP, maybe do a trans fluid flush? It's a shot in the dark, but maybe that could help?
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT