Manual transmission fluid change - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Manual transmission fluid change

Im sure alot of you guys already know this, but i just wanted to throw this out there, I changed my tranny fluid for the first time last week and put in the royal purple, I was actually surprised with how bad the old fluid was...I have 18000 miles on her and the fluid was pretty bad, a dark brown color and smelt really burnt,, I changed it because I thought I was having a synchro problem, but since Ive changed it its been very nice and no problems what so ever, my fingers are crossed that it will stay that way, the mgw shifter is AMAZING too...!
Just my two cents for anyone who cares...
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
I have the synchromesh in my trans as well. Made a pretty big difference in the feel of the trans, less grinding and notchiness.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

im not surprised by the results of the royal purple, I was surprised by how bad the old oil was...
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Im looking into changing mine but I dot no what company to go with... I was looking at redline
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Royal Purple made a huge difference with mine as well. I would go with RP again or Redline, both are superior products. I'm not sure if AMSoil makes compatible manual transmission fluid, but if they do, that would be on my list as well. The MGW does make a world of difference but i was surprised how much the fluid helped.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Yea these trans need all the help they can get!! I'm using Redline MTL and it definitely helped with my shifts especially when cold. Depending what year Mustang u have its a must, especially if u have an earlier build with the thick QS fluid.
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
clear out some of your PM's Greg
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
Done
Old 06-15-2013, 05:42 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
Honestly bro i dont no how to i cant see the delete button
Old 06-15-2013, 06:07 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
Yea these trans need all the help they can get!! I'm using Redline MTL and it definitely helped with my shifts especially when cold. Depending what year Mustang u have its a must, especially if u have an earlier build with the thick QS fluid.
I have a a lot of experience with Red line MTL. and transmission wear. I race spec Miata and have rebuilt about 10 to 12 SM trannies. MTL is real thin like 70 wt compared to std oil that is 75/90wt or 140 wt.

MTL is good and light for less drag and cold shifting but i think it does not do as much as you need for wear. Redline also now makes MT85 and has always made MT90. I used to mix MTL with MT90 to get a little more protection. now I just use MT85.

my point, i think MT85 is the best combination of light wt oil and gear protection. Just my opinion but i have see lots of fork wear with MTL.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G View Post

Honestly bro i dont no how to i cant see the delete button
I'm usually on the iPhone, I rarely sit down in front of a computer... But if that's what u have, on each message individually u can slide left or right on the actual message before opening and it will give U the option to delete that message, hope that helps
Old 06-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftodaro View Post
I have a a lot of experience with Red line MTL. and transmission wear. I race spec Miata and have rebuilt about 10 to 12 SM trannies. MTL is real thin like 70 wt compared to std oil that is 75/90wt or 140 wt.

MTL is good and light for less drag and cold shifting but i think it does not do as much as you need for wear. Redline also now makes MT85 and has always made MT90. I used to mix MTL with MT90 to get a little more protection. now I just use MT85.

my point, i think MT85 is the best combination of light wt oil and gear protection. Just my opinion but i have see lots of fork wear with MTL.
I think that weight will be best for the ones that live in extremely hot climates... The MTL is thinner than what came in the earlier MT82s but its a little thicker than the TSB fluid from Ford which is the dual clutch fluid.

In Jersey we get the typical winter and summer, so MTL I believe can adapt to either situation, mine isn't a DD so its not in my best interest to change the fluid every season
Old 06-19-2013, 01:42 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
For you guys that used royal purple, did you use RP Sycromesh or the RP 75w-90 gear oil?
Mods: AED Tune,Boss 302 IM, BBK 85mm TB,Kooks SS Shorty Headers,HF Cats,Alum 1pc DS,Hotchkis Subframe Connectors,Steeda CAI,Roush Axlebacks,Barton Shifter,SR Clutch Line,Boss Oil/Trans Coolers,SVT Fan,Steeda Sport Springs/LCAs/UCA/Shifter Bracket/HD Motor Mounts,BMR LCA Relo Brackets,Koni Shocks/Struts,GT500 Strut Mounts,JLT Oil Sep,Hood Struts,GT500 Spoiler,MMD Taillight Trim,OEM Leather Seats,MT Street Comps on black AMRs,MT ET Street Radial IIs on black Bullits(track duty).
2013fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:15 AM   #14
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013fiveO View Post
For you guys that used royal purple, did you use RP Sycromesh or the RP 75w-90 gear oil?
I used synchromesh

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

I'm usually on the iPhone, I rarely sit down in front of a computer... But if that's what u have, on each message individually u can slide left or right on the actual message before opening and it will give U the option to delete that message, hope that helps
Thank you styles i am on my iphone and it was driving me nutz trying to delete msgs lol thanks bro
Old 06-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
same here synchromesh
Old 06-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

The M82 is a synchromesh transmission. the other oil offered is likely for Differentials.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

i just keep finding synchroMAX made by RP not mesh
l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftodaro View Post
The M82 is a synchromesh transmission. the other oil offered is likely for Differentials.
google mt-82 and royal purple. There are a lot of forums and a lot of Mustang owners who say the 75w90 oil is better than the Synchromesh.

Food for thought. I'm still researching.

I'm not having any issues with my tranny but sure changing the fluid will be good for it because I have run it pretty hard since I bought it.
Mods: AED Tune,Boss 302 IM, BBK 85mm TB,Kooks SS Shorty Headers,HF Cats,Alum 1pc DS,Hotchkis Subframe Connectors,Steeda CAI,Roush Axlebacks,Barton Shifter,SR Clutch Line,Boss Oil/Trans Coolers,SVT Fan,Steeda Sport Springs/LCAs/UCA/Shifter Bracket/HD Motor Mounts,BMR LCA Relo Brackets,Koni Shocks/Struts,GT500 Strut Mounts,JLT Oil Sep,Hood Struts,GT500 Spoiler,MMD Taillight Trim,OEM Leather Seats,MT Street Comps on black AMRs,MT ET Street Radial IIs on black Bullits(track duty).
2013fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
google mt-82 and royal purple. There are a lot of forums and a lot of Mustang owners who say the 75w90 oil is better than the Synchromesh.

Food for thought. I'm still researching.

I'm not having any issues with my tranny but sure changing the fluid will be good for it because I have run it pretty hard since I bought it.
I am not an expert but I have rebuilt manual transmissions. People have lots of opinions based upon different information. If someone who has rebuilt this box and seen the inside of the box and knows the history of what oil it had in it, and had an opinion, I would take that to heart. Otherwise, its just noise.

I do not know much about RP never have used it. I use Red Line oils and my comments about the wt of synthetic oil are strictly based upon my experience with Spec Miata transmission rebuilds, and the wear that i have observed. Period.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
How often are you supposed to change your manual tyranny fluid?
BIGHOSS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT