Random Rev from Idle - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Random Rev from Idle

Ok, so this has happened a few times in the last week. I tried the search and a few things came up but nothing pertaining to newer mustangs.

I drive a 2012 gt and recently replaced the exhaust with the roush axle back and everything is great. I didn't notice anything from that change.
However, about a week or so ago I added a K&N drop in air filter K&N Mustang Drop-In Replacement Air Filter (10-14 GT, 11-14 V6) 33-2431 - Free Shipping!
and since then every now and then while im sitting at a stop light my car will rev for no reason. Its goes from about 750 rpm to 1100-1500 for no reason. I read that this could be something to do with the filter having oil on it? not sure whats going on here. Anyone know of any reasons why this would happen? The air filter makes sense as i have never noticed it until changing it.
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
not sure why but mine does it every once in awhile, ive gotten used to it
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Make sure your air box is on right mine did that but when I checked it out I pinched the air filter
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Based on your signature then i would assume its a car issue and not a mod issue, just seems strange that it started all of the sudden.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
This may sound stupid but have u recently started using the A/C in the car? My car does the exact same thing but only when the A/C is on.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Haha, i always use the AC i live in texas!

Except this weekend i used 2-80 Air control, best stuff ever.

pretty sure its not that.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytus View Post
Haha, i always use the AC i live in texas!

Except this weekend i used 2-80 Air control, best stuff ever.

pretty sure its not that.
Im tellin u check airbox my car was doing exactly the same thing
Old 06-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well i checked it, everything seemed to be good, i wiggled it just to be sure it was fitted all the way around. Ill update tomorrow after i go a cruise for a bit. Thanks for the Advice Smoke.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well i checked it, everything seemed to be good, i wiggled it just to be sure it was fitted all the way around. Ill update tomorrow after i go a cruise for a bit. Thanks for the Advice Smoke.
No problem sorry it wasent that .I changed my air filter and my car was doing the same thing just figured it might have been same issue ......One question how u like the air filter
Old 06-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Update: so it was loose, part of the rubber was catching and a very slight gap (maybe half quarter inch was on the backside hiding underneath the hose. *face slap*

Hopefully this will fix it thanks smoke.

On another note after researching the K&N drop in I came across this website and kind of makes me feel like a fool for getting this as the dyno test shows drops in power. The K&N website claims gains in performance...

Makes me wonder what "performance" is defined as since clearly hp and torque dropped and i have not read anywhere where someone has experience any mph gain. really seems only good to get if you dont wanna change air filters at $15 each.... ooh well, live and learn.

For those curious check this site out to see the results...

SVTPerformance 2012 GT : K&N Replacement Filter Test - SVTPerformance
Old 06-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Update: so it was loose, part of the rubber was catching and a very slight gap (maybe half quarter inch was on the backside hiding underneath the hose. *face slap*

Hopefully this will fix it thanks smoke.

On another note after researching the K&N drop in I came across this website and kind of makes me feel like a fool for getting this as the dyno test shows drops in power. The K&N website claims gains in performance...

Makes me wonder what "performance" is defined as since clearly hp and torque dropped and i have not read anywhere where someone has experience any mph gain. really seems only good to get if you dont wanna change air filters at $15 each.... ooh well, live and learn.

For those curious check this site out to see the results...

SVTPerformance 2012 GT : K&N Replacement Filter Test - SVTPerformance
Lol ok cool yea had a lot of faith in k&n products I put them in all my cars .I hate to hear that they perform poorly in the coyotes .I guess im going to keep my stock filter thanks for the info
Old 06-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, seems to be more of a longterm thing. $60 for 150k miles or 15 bucks every 15k, so unless you go past 90k on that filter its really not gonna be worth it... :/ at least thats how i see it.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I took my air filter out for one run at the track, and believe it or not, the car acted up at idle, just how you described.
Davey13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Hopefully davey is kidding haha but k and n filters are junk I wouldn't use one on anything most shops recommend replacing them with pretty much anything else anytime they seem them including the one I work for.
BlackStang00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT