Aluminum One Piece Driveshaft - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
Nay
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Aluminum One Piece Driveshaft

Has anyone put the Aluminum One Piece Driveshaft from AM on their car. Was just wondering if it's worth the cost, or is there a better one around the same price.
Nay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I put the Dynotech aluminum ds on my car, I didnt get it from AM but it is a very nice mod, itfrees up alot of hp, the minute you dump the clutch for the first time you can feel it..
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'm goin to catch flak for this, but getting an aluminum driveshaft is really not saving you that much. The stock driveshaft is really not that heavy at all, but it can become a concern at certain horsepower levels. Also, the way that physics work, if you are wanting to decrease weight you would be better off shaving weight at the outermost part of your car like the wheels/tires. Shaving weight off with wheels and tires frees up more RWHP than a driveshaft will. Another place to consider if freeing up weight on the front end and lowering your center of gravity, which will help with weight transfer. If you put two great drivers in two similar 5.0s right next to each other and they race, the one with the aluminum driveshaft isn't necessarily going to be the winner.. If you catch my drift. Dumping $700 into the suspension on the other hand would easily give you the upper hand. Even at full weight
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

the al ds is 20 lbs lighter then factory and yes its a huge difference, obviously u dont have one? and I have shaved weight off rims and tires and control arms and radiator supports, flywheel and numerous other things, my car is very ligh ton its feet, I could really give a crap about who could win on a drag strip, I would much rather be on a road course where hp isnt everything, handling and a nimble car is what I want and have..
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
Old 06-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
I have a drive shaft shop DS in my car and it's great. You can really tell a difference in the cars response. Rpms climb more quickly and you can feel the car pulling harder through the entire rev range which should be expected when dropping 20+ lbs of rotating mass, regardless of where in the power train it is. I also noticed a pretty big difference when going with lighter wheels. I dropped about 10 lbs per wheel when I installed my forgestars which was also very noticeable.

I personally think it's a great idea. I would also do suspension mods first as stated previously, but by no means is it a waste of money.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Every pound you can taake off these cars regardless of where equals speed....now if you have no suspension or knowledge of how to drive it then yeah its a waist but lighter is faster. and adding hp / shaving weight is the key in any car
Old 06-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I don't have one but will. As people keep saying physics! Take the lost power on a stock mustang drivetrain from engine to ground ( about 60hp) then take into account the full mass of the drivetrain and divide. simple math times that number by the number of pounds you will be taking off. It's about 17hp if I remember correctly the last time I went threw this. That may not sound like much for $700 but this is to the ground power not the block, plus response goes up by somewhere near 15-20%. This kind of power is hard to find at this price range and without having to break into the engine.

As for wheels there is also huge gains there as well the mass to power changes however due to the location and you will only see PTG gain in the rear of course. Everyone knows lightweight is good so if you what it get.... As I will
J&M LCA'S
J&M adjustable panhard bar
Whiteline relocation brackets
Davestanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
the al ds is 20 lbs lighter then factory and yes its a huge difference, obviously u dont have one? and I have shaved weight off rims and tires and control arms and radiator supports, flywheel and numerous other things, my car is very ligh ton its feet, I could really give a crap about who could win on a drag strip, I would much rather be on a road course where hp isnt everything, handling and a nimble car is what I want and have..
No I don't have a aluminum driveshaft on my mustang. However, I do have a carbon fiber one on my lightning, which is set up for auto X. In the scheme of things, any weight you save will help the horsepower/weight ratio. He ask if it was worth spending the money on and I said it wasn't or more less I said other things should come first. And by the time you've put ALL of the weight saving parts on the car then of course you'll see the difference. But at the same time, I could easily argue with you that your car with all it's creature comforts hardly makes a monster of a road course car. And if it was I'd spend that $700 on brakes..
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #9
Nay
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds good, I do have plans on upgrading my suspension. I was looking at the Eibach pro kit and was planning on doing that and the DS at the same time. I figured I better upgrade my suspension with the mods I already have coming ie: Boss 302 mani, FR 90m TB, going with a K&N drop in filter right now cause I am looking at Putting a Ram hood on. So with that being said I just figured the 1 piece DS would be better than the stock one.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Don't forget, it's not just weight on a scale either, it's rotating mass, which robs the engine of power. I can't stand the fact that Ford put a 2 piece driveshaft on these cars. Makes no sense. I'd like to replace my driveshaft for that reason alone. But freeing up over 20lbs of rotating mass on the drivetrain is big.
Davey13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
Nay
Registered Member
Regular

I think I read it was 4 to 1 on the rotating mass about 80 pounds, Jay offered me a DS for about $80 cheaper just needs 2 weeks to make, think I might go that route.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT