Best adjustable swaybars for 5.0 GT? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

View Poll Results: Which is the best adjustable sway bars for '10-present Mustang GT
Whiteline 2 15.38%
Strano 3 23.08%
Steeda 2 15.38%
UPR 0 0%
BMR 1 7.69%
keep it stock 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Question Best adjustable swaybars for 5.0 GT?

Hi Guys,

I upgraded my car with KONI STRT & STEEDA Sport Springs, that are a great 1st. steep setup, now I think I should look for better adjustable swaybars to control the understeer an oversteer that is a natural part of our cars. I have been looking for users information on the web, but very little information is available. Based on your experience, please share your preference, in the following survey.
2011 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, KONI STRT, Steeda Sport springs, GT500 strut mounts, Strano's adjustable swaybars, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS, ATE DOT 4, CS style rear pedestal spoiler, AM Eleanor side scoops, "C style" side decals, Black BOSS style roof vinyl, black custom hood vinyl & Black pony.
M3hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3hunter View Post
Hi Guys,

I upgraded my car with KONI STRT & STEEDA Sport Springs, that are a great 1st. steep setup, now I think I should look for better adjustable swaybars to control the understeer an oversteer that is a natural part of our cars. I have been looking for users information on the web, but very little information is available. Based on your experience, please share your preference, in the following survey.
Most people will tell you to keep the stock ones unless you are doing serious auto x racing, and i agree. The stock sways on these cars are actually pretty good. And your not gonna notice a big difference with aftermarket. You would be better off getting some lcas, uca, brackets, and panhard bar first.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post

Most people will tell you to keep the stock ones unless you are doing serious auto x racing, and i agree. The stock sways on these cars are actually pretty good. And your not gonna notice a big difference with aftermarket. You would be better off getting some lcas, uca, brackets, and panhard bar first.
I agree completely, Def do LCA over sway bars if your going to go in stages. I did LCAs at the same time i did the sway bars because I just thought it was easier since I had it on jacks, wheels off, tools in hand and a buddy. I went with Whiteline and they make really good suspension parts. Noticeable stiffness and flatness when turning.

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I say stock
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
I went with the fr3 adjustable suspension. I think it's a great choice.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Swaybars can be added any time, technically they would never be “required”. They improve cornering and keep the car flatter in corners, adjustable ones can be used to “dial in” the handling, correcting over- or understeer.

I generally advise to do sway bars later on in the suspension build. If you don’t drive on the street hard enough then you may not make full use of them, though if you enjoy corner carving they make a huge benefit.

On FWD cars the rear bar upgrade is excellent as it reduces the cars tendency to understeer making it more fun to drive and more neutral.

Shoot me an email at tim@steeda.com and we can set you up with a package that fits your needs.

Let me know your thoughts?

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I totally agree with upgrading swaybars...to say they dont make much of a difference is totally wrong...again depends on what you like but a stock swaybar cant even come close to an aftermarket adj. swaybar..if you like to go thru corners fast or even just everyday driving,,,when you turn your wheel and the car as ZERO body roll its an amazing feeling and hitting corners and keeping your foot on the gas is something stock sways wont let you do, but it is all in what you like, i went from stock to a roush non adj sway and it was ok, but then i strapped on the BMR front adj swaybar and put it on the race setting and I LOVE IT!! What ever you get or when you get it just make sure the front is adjustable you will love it
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I added the strano bars after springs / shocks/ upr/lower control arms and relocation brackets. I think it finished off my suspension nicely, but no problem with the stock bars either.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
I totally agree with upgrading swaybars...to say they dont make much of a difference is totally wrong...again depends on what you like but a stock swaybar cant even come close to an aftermarket adj. swaybar..if you like to go thru corners fast or even just everyday driving,,,when you turn your wheel and the car as ZERO body roll its an amazing feeling and hitting corners and keeping your foot on the gas is something stock sways wont let you do, but it is all in what you like, i went from stock to a roush non adj sway and it was ok, but then i strapped on the BMR front adj swaybar and put it on the race setting and I LOVE IT!! What ever you get or when you get it just make sure the front is adjustable you will love it
Brian I agree 100% with you, that is the driving feeling I am looking for. Maybe after sway bars, watts link will be my next steep. Do you increased any understeer with your set up? Are you stagered or square? Your rear bar is the stock one?

---------- Post added at 06:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam2012 View Post
I added the strano bars after springs / shocks/ upr/lower control arms and relocation brackets. I think it finished off my suspension nicely, but no problem with the stock bars either.
So do you think that both bars feel similar, not a big change on handling?
2011 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, KONI STRT, Steeda Sport springs, GT500 strut mounts, Strano's adjustable swaybars, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS, ATE DOT 4, CS style rear pedestal spoiler, AM Eleanor side scoops, "C style" side decals, Black BOSS style roof vinyl, black custom hood vinyl & Black pony.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
Swaybars can be added any time, technically they would never be “required”. They improve cornering and keep the car flatter in corners, adjustable ones can be used to “dial in” the handling, correcting over- or understeer.

I generally advise to do sway bars later on in the suspension build. If you don’t drive on the street hard enough then you may not make full use of them, though if you enjoy corner carving they make a huge benefit.

On FWD cars the rear bar upgrade is excellent as it reduces the cars tendency to understeer making it more fun to drive and more neutral.

Shoot me an email at tim@steeda.com and we can set you up with a package that fits your needs.

Let me know your thoughts?

Hi Tim,
With my present setup of koni's & steeda springs, if I add adjustable bars I will not be able to reduce roll over & understeer? If I skip the adjustable sway bars and instead go for the watts links it will be better by provoding more handling control?

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 06-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #11
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
I think where you're getting things mixed up is that most people believe the difference is negligible on a street only car. Now clearly road course and "hooning" cars it will make a difference, but if you don't push your car hard in the twisties sway bars won't do much for you. I agree with TJ that it would be my last suspension upgrade aside from a watts link or a torque arm.

I believe you 100% when you say it makes a big difference, but I bet you also push your car a lot harder than most people.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I felt an improvement with the bars, but only when you really push the car, like maybe 7/10 or more. For a regular dd I would probably just stick to stock. I like to take off ramps a little faster than most, and there are a lot of twisty back roads that I drive regularly.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
I think where you're getting things mixed up is that most people believe the difference is negligible on a street only car. Now clearly road course and "hooning" cars it will make a difference, but if you don't push your car hard in the twisties sway bars won't do much for you. I agree with TJ that it would be my last suspension upgrade aside from a watts link or a torque arm.

I believe you 100% when you say it makes a big difference, but I bet you also push your car a lot harder than most people.
Ive been a racer my whole life so maybe I do push it more, but even turning slow thru imtersections I can feel it, its a nice piece of mind when your turning slow and the car just bites and turns with zero body roll and acceleration and braking in the twisties as you say is pretty awesome...)
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
Old 06-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
I don't know too much about the mustang yet, but I have used whiteline on an Evo X and Evo VIII and they were a solid piece and really made a difference over the stock. But I Auto-X the car alot. I plan to keep mine stock until I get to a base that has a track nearby.
lwevert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Why is Eibach not an option?
SCT Tuner, Vinyl Dipped Plenum and Valve Covers, BBK 85mm TB, JLT Oil Catch Can, Pypes Pipe-Bomb Axle Backs, JBA Ceramic Long Tube Headers, High Flow Cat X-Pipe, Forgestar F14 19x9, 19x10, Nitto Invo Tires, Eibach R2 Suspension, Eibach Adjustable Sway Bars Front and Rear, Eibach Adjustable LCA, BMR Rear Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets, MMD Bolt-On Hood Strut, BMR Pan Hard Bar, Caster Camber Plates, Brembo Brakes, Adjustable UCA and Mount, Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, Procharger Stage II, Bosch 75lbs injectors.
tarupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarupert View Post
Why is Eibach not an option?
Haven't heard nothing from any users

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

The way that I drive (spirited), I think I will have good use for some adjustable bars, besides that I'm planing to go track my car, and want to fine tune it.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3hunter View Post

Haven't heard nothing from any users

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

The way that I drive (spirited), I think I will have good use for some adjustable bars, besides that I'm planing to go track my car, and want to fine tune it.
Are you lowered or just stock Brembo suspension. If not lowered, aftermarket bars might make a difference. Not sure. Mines a DD and will likely never see a road course so the only way I would do sway bars would be for looks.
ARfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Lowered with STEEDA sport springs + KONI STRT that I got from Sam Strano. I consider them the best thing that I bought for my Mustang.

Swaybars are not for looks, they are to increase handling at the curves. Probably nobody will notice them from outside.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I realize they are not for looks, I'm talking about possible car shows and the like. If you plan on tracking your car I would get some. I have sportlines with STRT's and it rides like it is on rails. But, I don't track my car. IMHO, if you are building a track car, it would help. I would go with a reputable brand after much research.
ARfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I tried doing a search for body roll and this thread came up, I do not want to lower the car or reduce ride quality but I always feel like the car is going to flip over when I take corners lol. I had an Audi A4 Quattro that had beefier sways and springs/shocks. I have no desire to go back to feeling every bump on the rd but I would like to feel like I can take corners a bit faster
CaliSpecial5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSpecial5.0 View Post
I tried doing a search for body roll and this thread came up, I do not want to lower the car or reduce ride quality but I always feel like the car is going to flip over when I take corners lol. I had an Audi A4 Quattro that had beefier sways and springs/shocks. I have no desire to go back to feeling every bump on the rd but I would like to feel like I can take corners a bit faster
if you want to carve corners you need a good swaybar, im guessing any adjustable swaybar will work, i have mine set on the hole closest to the front of the car and I have zero body roll, stock sways are pretty weak regardless what some say they do not prevent body roll, some but not alot.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

if you want to carve corners you need a good swaybar, im guessing any adjustable swaybar will work, i have mine set on the hole closest to the front of the car and I have zero body roll, stock sways are pretty weak regardless what some say they do not prevent body roll, some but not alot.
Any brand recommendations? Putting together an Xmas list for the 5.0 #1 is borla type s lol
CaliSpecial5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSpecial5.0 View Post
Any brand recommendations? Putting together an Xmas list for the 5.0 #1 is borla type s lol
well like i said in earlier post ive had the roush swaybar and it wasnt that good and not adjustable and it was solid and very heavy, then i found the bmr and its like 20 or 25lbs lighter and agjustable it works better...but im sure any adjustable bar will work if its on the right adjustment hole, mine is set to the stiffest and i love not having body roll and took 25lbs off my cars front end
Old 12-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Guys,

Just want to share my experience with the adjustable swaybars at the track. I left the front bar in the middle hole and the rear bar soft (outer hole). The car behaved fantastic with the Strano sway bars and the other goodies that he also sold to me (KONI's, Steeda sport springs), and my Michelin Pilot SS. Car was completely neutral, I was able to give a very close chase to a BMW M3 (V8 model). No regrets!. Thanks Sam!

On my personal and humble opinion, I think that you will really feel a great improvement in handling at the track. For regular city/road driving, you will not feel a big difference with adjustable swaybars.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT