Annoying rattle!!!!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Annoying rattle!!!!!!

I have had this annoying rattle in the back right interior panel near the small window. I finally today took a stab at figuring out what it was. As far as I can tell there is this white plastic dowel / spacer that keeps the panel from collapsing if pushed on. Well ford tried to be smart and insulated the panel from the dowel/spacer but didn't insulate the dowel/spacer from the metal frame. It was just held in by four small expanding legs. Luckily there is a hole in the frame right above it, so I reached back there and popped it out. put some 3M doubled sided adhesive strips between where the dowel/spacer rests against the frame and the dowel/space.

Now it sounded like that was made the rattle but for extra measure I went ahead and used some cheap double sided weather stripping from Lowes and insulated any where where the panel contacts the car.

For future note anyone who own a 2014 the way to get in those back small panels is to remove the start screw from the clothes hanger and then remove the bolt holding the seat belt in. After that just give it a firm tug around the edges and everything pops out enough to get you hands and head back there. I didn't remove them fully since I didn't have to. The part above the door just pulls out as well.

Needless to say, the rattle is now gone! Just though I would gloat a bit.
GWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
My 2011 does the same thing....
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Good deal. I dont have that rattle yet, but i will definitely keep it in mind for the future. I do however have a small rattle coming from the power plug between the air vents. Seems like the door is rattling when its closed. Gotta love American cars!
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick9550 View Post
My 2011 does the same thing....
Mine also, i thought it was coming from the trunk. Been there since i got it in aug of 2010
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:30 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I've been hunting that damn rattle for 6 months. I will try that and hope that's it. Thanks for the info
Jsmorley81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
I had the same rattle so i traced to the area in the trunk in the hole next to the passenger side rear speaker. I took a nice chunk of drywall insolation and stuffed that area with it and i haven't heard the noise since and its been a year and a half!
2016 Gt/Cs autowith 3:55', mbrp cat back and a n/a build on the way!...
blackbeast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Do the dealerships not fix these problems? Granted they will probably come back, but maybe if enough people have the problem Ford will send out a recall, or maybe that'll happen when hell freezes over...

My grandma's Prius had to have the whole dash torn out to replace a rattle, cost her about $400... I hate those cars.
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstone94 View Post
Do the dealerships not fix these problems?
Haha, that's funny! Lmao. But seriously, even if they would, I wouldn't let them. I'm not big on having some greasy dude with his work boots on climbing around my interior trying to source the sound. No thanks. Not to mention, 99.9% of the time time you get the old line "We couldn't recreate the problem."
I'll never have a dealership ever work on my car again.
Before a flame war starts, there are probably are a few good service departments and dealerships out there. But my experiences have proved otherwise.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
Haha, that's funny! Lmao. But seriously, even if they would, I wouldn't let them. I'm not big on having some greasy dude with his work boots on climbing around my interior trying to source the sound. No thanks. Not to mention, 99.9% of the time time you get the old line "We couldn't recreate the problem."
Haha, I seriously don't blame you. They're called stealerships for a reason!
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

Before a flame war starts, there are probably are a few good service departments and dealerships out there. But my experiences have proved otherwise.
+1 Not over a rattle anyways.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
+1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT