I need help with 3D Carbon GT500 Spoiler Install! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I need help with 3D Carbon GT500 Spoiler Install!

Problem #1: I purchased a 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler for my 2013 Mustang, my car came with the factory spoiler and I received my spoiler today from 3D Carbon and it should be very simple since I dont have to drill any holes but they included these weird looking T-Clips that are about 7 inches long and the instructions dont make sense what they are used for, has anyone put this same brand of spoiler on their Mustang and can you tell me what those T-Clips are for? Any info is appreciated.

Problem #2: I have removed the trunk liner and all of the bolts that hold the factory rear spoiler in place and it also has some sort of adhesive still holding it on, does anyone have any ideas on how to remove the spoiler with the adhesive still holding it? Ive have tried and tried and it will not budge! I dont want to jam something in between my trunk lid and factory spoiler because the trunk lid will end up damaged and scratched as well as the factory rear spoiler. Could i spray Goo Gone and leaving it sitting overnight to loosen up the adhesive or possibly WD40 and if I did would it damage the paint from sitting on it for overnight?

I put on my black 5.0 emblems and the adhesive was horrendous to remove but I used goo gone after I removed the emblems using fishing line. I have tried fishing line on the rear spoiler to no avail

Any suggestions?
Vintage Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The spoiler is held on by 4 bolts and alot of adhesive! You will have to cut that adhesive with some fishing line if you hope toget the spoiler off
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
The spoiler is held on by 4 bolts and alot of adhesive! You will have to cut that adhesive with some fishing line if you hope toget the spoiler off
Thats what I was using was fishing line but you can only go so far until you into another stud that goes through the trunk lid, I have all the bolts loose, what about a heat gun?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I used fishing line and worked it back and forth until I could start pulling it off goo gone softens the adhesive up
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Iron View Post

Thats what I was using was fishing line but you can only go so far until you into another stud that goes through the trunk lid, I have all the bolts loose, what about a heat gun?
Once you hit a stud, peel up and feed the line through. It's fairly easy, you just have pull hard. Do it on a really hot day.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
I taped off the trunk around the spoiler, used a blow dryer to get some heat on it then used a spatula to break up the adhesive. It worked pretty well, the paint UNDER the spoiler was a little scratched but the visible paint was just fine. I don't know how you would pass fishing line under the spoiler, it'll stop on the studs on the spoiler.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

He's talking about lifting spoiler up here he reached studs and continue using fishing line after like how I did mine
Old 06-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
He's talking about lifting spoiler up here he reached studs and continue using fishing line after like how I did mine
Yea I did the fishing line with my 5.0 emblems and it was still pretty tough, spatula worked really well and was really easy. So I didn't even bother with fishing line on the spoiler

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

What ever works to get this crap off lmao
Old 06-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
What ever works to get this crap off lmao

Tomorrow morning im heading to wallay world, getting some really thick fishing line, Turtle Wax Label and sticker remover and a hair dryer and I already have goo gone and im gonna have at it again!
Old 06-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I did most of my car 3dcarbon, i did do the spoiler and all i used was a rubber thin spatula and heat gun to remove.
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:42 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
All I used was a plastic putty knife, just tape around the spoiler and then get that knife under the spoiler to break it free. It was a total pain in the A_S.

New Orleans FaceBook Mustang Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NewOrleansS550/
rm2092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Do like everyone else said. Have someone hold a hair dryer as you are working the fishing line. When you hit a stud lift up on the spoiler and feed it through and keep working it in a back n forth cutting motion. Once off I used googone and a towel to rub the adhesive off. Took about 40 minutes to remove spoiler and all adhesive.

Be careful not to apply too much heat in one spot for too long or you could discolor the paint.
Mods: AED Tune,Boss 302 IM, BBK 85mm TB,Kooks SS Shorty Headers,HF Cats,Alum 1pc DS,Hotchkis Subframe Connectors,Steeda CAI,Roush Axlebacks,Barton Shifter,SR Clutch Line,Boss Oil/Trans Coolers,SVT Fan,Steeda Sport Springs/LCAs/UCA/Shifter Bracket/HD Motor Mounts,BMR LCA Relo Brackets,Koni Shocks/Struts,GT500 Strut Mounts,JLT Oil Sep,Hood Struts,GT500 Spoiler,MMD Taillight Trim,OEM Leather Seats,MT Street Comps on black AMRs,MT ET Street Radial IIs on black Bullits(track duty).
2013fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013fiveO View Post
Do like everyone else said. Have someone hold a hair dryer as you are working the fishing line. When you hit a stud lift up on the spoiler and feed it through and keep working it in a back n forth cutting motion. Once off I used googone and a towel to rub the adhesive off. Took about 40 minutes to remove spoiler and all adhesive.

Be careful not to apply too much heat in one spot for too long or you could discolor the paint.
Thanks for the info...

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT