Soon to be owner, need help with mods. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #1

Region: Indiana
Soon to be owner, need help with mods.

I am going to be purchasing a 2014 GT manual within the next few weeks. I would like to do some performance mods but honestly not very knowledgeable. After my down payment, I will have around 16k to put into the car. I'm up for suggestions. Thanks!
noxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Supercharger, long tubes, axlebacks, lowering springs, new dampers, lca and uca with mount, aluminum 1 piece driveshaft, new wheels and tires, and some fuzzy dice

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
^ what he said.

Fuzzy dice r on sale at Dollywood.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
16k to put into mods?? U can put the difference into a brand new Shelby... That's what I would do anyway
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
16k to put into mods?? U can put the difference into a brand new Shelby... That's what I would do anyway
Only bad thing is that you can easily keep up with a gt500 if you're dumping 16k into a 5.0.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #7

In reply to why I am not buying a Shelby.

This car is more of a project I want to do with my Grandpa.

I finally have the funds to do this and want to be able to do mods with my Grandpa.

If I was to buy a Shelby, then I would not have the funds to do any mods.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
Superhcarger!!!!
lwevert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by noxb View Post
I am going to be purchasing a 2014 GT manual within the next few weeks. I would like to do some performance mods but honestly not very knowledgeable. After my down payment, I will have around 16k to put into the car. I'm up for suggestions. Thanks!
I'm jealous haha.throw some of that my way so I can go get a 5.0 haha no but your list sounds bout rt.get stingers though
Torchred2010gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
$16k? That is going to be a serious project... Keep us in the loop as you build!!!

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #11

I most def will post pics as we go along. The 16k is not going to all be spent on performance mods. I have some cosmetic mods in mind also! Thanks for the info!
Old 06-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #12

Region: Missouri
Any thoughts on turbos?!?
Old 06-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Deep breath...

Step 1. Pull the brand new motor out, do not drive with it other than to get it home.
Step 2. Sell it, hopefully you can fetch around $5,000 for it. Maybe more.
Step 3. Pull the brand new transmission out.
Step 4. Sell it, you could probably get $2500, maybe more.
Step 5. Pull the Rear end housing out.
Step 6. Sell everything that's inside of it and set it aside.
Step 7. Throw the factory driveshaft away. Lol.
Step 8. Completely gut every factory suspension piece brakes, including your brand new wheels and tires.
Step 9. Sell it all along with all your factory exhaust pieces for whatever someone is willing to give you.

At this point, you won't have much of a car left. But trust me, it will be ok. If you followed steps 1-9 correctly, along with the $16,000 you already have, you should have about $8,000-$10,000 more. Bringing your total for mod money up to....
Anybody....
Bueller...
Bueller.
That's right, $24,000-26,000. We will just call it $25,000. So if you have completed steps 1-9 and are not afraid to continue. Proceed to step 10.
This is where the fun begins.
Step 10. Buy this:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-a...sc-1112gt.html
Step 11. Buy this:
http://www.jpcracing.com/tremec-magn...ns/?fullSite=1
Step 12. Buy everything needed to build up the rear end housing. New Differential, Axles, gear set, watts link, have the rear welded and braced, etc... To fully build the rear you should be looking at about $2,000-2,500.
Step 13. Buy this:
http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...productid=1118
And this:
http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...&productid=169
Step 14. Buy this:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/wilwoo...ront-0512.html
And this:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/wilwoo...rear-0512.html
Step 15. Assemble
Step 16. Wheels and tires, Buy these:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/glossb...3-mt-stag.html
Or a quality variation of that
Step 17. The icing on the cake, BUY THIS:
http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/S...ustang2011.htm
Go with the 3.6LC Mammoth, you won't regret it
Step 18. Full Exhaust, headers, xpipe, 3" OTA Pipes, quad tip gt500's if you like. Whatever.
Step 19. All the little stuff, cooling, hoses, brake lines, whatever. After all this stuff you should be spent and brake pretty much even.
Step 20. Enjoy your potentially 1,000rwhp handle on rails sounds like the devil himself freaking monster of a car, the way it should have been.

Good luck!
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #14

To be honest, I do not know much about turbos, always thought that a supercharger would be the better choice. But I am always open for suggestions. Thank you!
Old 06-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #15

On3 performance has a twin turbo setup for the 5.0 that's super cheap...I know a couple people who run turbos on other mustangs around my area and they love em
Old 06-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
Deep breath...

Step 1. Pull the brand new motor out, do not drive with it other than to get it home.
Step 8. Completely gut every factory suspension piece brakes, including your brand new wheels and tires.
Step 9. Sell it all along with all your factory exhaust pieces for whatever someone is willing to give you.

At this point, you won't have much of a car left. But trust me, it will be ok. If you followed steps 1-9 correctly, along with the $16,000 you already have, you should have about $8,000-$10,000 more. Bringing your total for mod money up to....
Anybody....
Bueller...
Bueller.
That's right, $24,000-26,000. We will just call it $25,000. So if you have completed steps 1-9 and are not afraid to continue. Proceed to step 10.
Step 10. Buy this:
Step 11. Buy this:
Step 12. Buy everything needed to build up the rear end housing. New Differential, Axles, gear set, watts link, have the rear welded and braced, etc... To fully build the rear you should be looking at about $2,000-2,500.
Step 13. Buy this:
And this:
Step 14. Buy this:
And this:
Step 15. Assemble
Step 18. Full Exhaust, headers, xpipe, 3" OTA Pipes, quad tip gt500's if you like. Whatever.
Step 19. All the little stuff, cooling, hoses, brake lines, whatever. After all this stuff you should be spent and brake pretty much even.
Step 20. Enjoy your potentially 1,000rwhp handle on rails sounds like the devil himself freaking monster of a car, the way it should have been.

Good luck!
What he said
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #17

First off, Dear Lord! That was an amazing response. I am actually going to consider what you suggested. 1000 rwhp?? That would be truly amazing. Would that be street legal??

What kind of power output are your friends getting from their twin turbos?
Old 06-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Or you could buy a 03-04 Terminator and build the mess out of it.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #19

None on a 5.0 but on a couple 4.6s and one who is lookin to put one on a 351 swapped fox...I'd have I ask around to see what kind of numbers they're pushin
Old 06-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #20

That is a great idea about the 03-04 terminator, I am just in love with the looks of the 2014 GT.

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

Thank you for the info on the turbos!! I would be very interested in a TT.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #21

Yeah no prob...here's the site tht you can buy from

http://www.on3performance.com/Twenty11.aspx
Old 06-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

DO NOT BUY CHEAP ON3 CHINA MADE Junk turbos. Especially if you have the money for better.
Come on, save money on your turbos so you can put a front splitter on. Then two months down the road, "oh no, my turbo is crap, it blew apart and threw shrapnel into my engine. Maybe I shouldn't have bought cheap china made turbos"
I've seen it happen.
And yes, everything I listed will keep your car street legal, especially of you run high flow cats with your exhaust. The only state you'd have a issue you be California. But there's always ways around the legalities.
But with that setup, it would dam near in normal driving feel like a normal car. It would even retain the mpg's of stock with a good tune. The links I gave are nearly suggestions, but they are some of the best parts on the market. The sites I linked may or may not be the best priced. I'm sure with a little shopping around you could knock $1,000-2,000 off the cost of parts. But remember YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!
Worry about your cosmetic mods later, your car will already look awesome. You'll be surprised what a great stance and some wheels and tires will do for a car. It won't even look like the same car.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
DO NOT BUY CHEAP ON3 CHINA MADE Junk turbos. Especially if you have the money for better.
Come on, save money on your turbos so you can put a front splitter on. Then two months down the road, "oh no, my turbo is crap, it blew apart and threw shrapnel into my engine. Maybe I shouldn't have bought cheap china made turbos"
I've seen it happen.
And yes, everything I listed will keep your car street legal, especially of you run high flow cats with your exhaust. The only state you'd have a issue you be California. But there's always ways around the legalities.
But with that setup, it would dam near in normal driving feel like a normal car. It would even retain the mpg's of stock with a good tune. The links I gave are nearly suggestions, but they are some of the best parts on the market. The sites I linked may or may not be the best priced. I'm sure with a little shopping around you could knock $1,000-2,000 off the cost of parts. But remember YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!
Worry about your cosmetic mods later, your car will already look awesome. You'll be surprised what a great stance and some wheels and tires will do for a car. It won't even look like the same car.
Have you ever bought a on3 setup ?
Old 06-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post

Have you ever bought a on3 setup ?
No I haven't, but I've personally seen 2 cars destroyed by them. And I have heard multiple horror stories about the quality and longevity of the kits. They're cheap for a reason, if they were good kits that performed and stood up to half tHe abuse other kits will, they would cost more and be seen on race teams, big names would use them, and more distributors would sell them. But that's not the case
Old 06-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #25

I haven't herd a single thing wrong with the guys I know who are running them...
Old 06-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateakabrog View Post
I haven't herd a single thing wrong with the guys I know who are running them...
Yet
Old 06-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post

Yet
Yeah but you could say the same things about any car w/ or without fi...everything deteriorates over time so there is always a yet...
Old 06-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
With a car pushing 1000 + horse power I don't think pump gas is going to be an option, I could be wrong....
Old 06-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am3gross View Post
With a car pushing 1000 + horse power I don't think pump gas is going to be an option, I could be wrong....
It's definitely possible
Old 06-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am3gross View Post
It's already been done several times.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Deep breath...

Anybody....
Bueller...
Bueller.
Step 10. Buy this:
Step 11. Buy this:
Step 13. Buy this:
And this:
Step 14. Buy this:
And this:
Step 15. Assemble

Good luck!
Lol wow. Maybe one of the most informative posts ive EVER seen on any forum.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post

Lol true, looks like someone has researched this before
Old 06-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

Hahaha all of us true enthusiasts have. I have my own build list, but unfortunately my paycheck won't support it lol. Huge props to DWC for typing that out. Definitely a time consuming post. Stuff like that makes forums likes this so helpful, knowledgeable, and informational.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:27 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
That is awesome that you get to do this with your grandpa. Can't wait to see the progress
Old 06-19-2013, 04:59 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hahaha all of us true enthusiasts have. I have my own build list, but unfortunately my paycheck won't support it lol. Huge props to DWC for typing that out. Definitely a time consuming post. Stuff like that makes forums likes this so helpful, knowledgeable, and informational.
Thanks guys! This was more of a impromptu list. Nothing I've been working on. Given those kinda funds and wanting a project, this is direction I would go. Many people, myself included, when they get a new car start impulse buying. Not buying what they need but buying what they want. We've all bought something only to replace it later. Think before you click buy now. Good luck!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT