UCA Help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
UCA Help

I ordered the steeda non adjustable UCAs. They haven't arrived yet but I'm researching how to install them with no luck. I'm sure they will come with instructions but I can't find any videos except one on youtube that doesn't explain it very well.

So I just went outside and crawled under the car to get an idea of where they are and wtf? I only see ONE centered above the axle. What am I missing here?

If anyone could please explain or share a link with pictures or more info it will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Mods: AED Tune,Boss 302 IM, BBK 85mm TB,Kooks SS Shorty Headers,HF Cats,Alum 1pc DS,Hotchkis Subframe Connectors,Steeda CAI,Roush Axlebacks,Barton Shifter,SR Clutch Line,Boss Oil/Trans Coolers,SVT Fan,Steeda Sport Springs/LCAs/UCA/Shifter Bracket/HD Motor Mounts,BMR LCA Relo Brackets,Koni Shocks/Struts,GT500 Strut Mounts,JLT Oil Sep,Hood Struts,GT500 Spoiler,MMD Taillight Trim,OEM Leather Seats,MT Street Comps on black AMRs,MT ET Street Radial IIs on black Bullits(track duty).
2013fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Ok before you laugh I just realized there is only one arm? For some reason I always thought there were two because a lot of stuff I've read refers the the UCA in plural. ?

So please confirm there is one Upper Control ARM. And any additional info or advice for install is appreciated.
Mods: AED Tune,Boss 302 IM, BBK 85mm TB,Kooks SS Shorty Headers,HF Cats,Alum 1pc DS,Hotchkis Subframe Connectors,Steeda CAI,Roush Axlebacks,Barton Shifter,SR Clutch Line,Boss Oil/Trans Coolers,SVT Fan,Steeda Sport Springs/LCAs/UCA/Shifter Bracket/HD Motor Mounts,BMR LCA Relo Brackets,Koni Shocks/Struts,GT500 Strut Mounts,JLT Oil Sep,Hood Struts,GT500 Spoiler,MMD Taillight Trim,OEM Leather Seats,MT Street Comps on black AMRs,MT ET Street Radial IIs on black Bullits(track duty).
Old 06-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Yea there is only one uca, technical term is a 3rd link if that helps you any (as opposed to a 3rd and 4th link or something goofy)

There are two lcas however (technically called lower trailing arms)

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Yea there is only one uca, technical term is a 3rd link if that helps you any (as opposed to a 3rd and 4th link or something goofy)
Yeah been doing more reading and it makes sense now. lol. I did the lowers by myself with no issues. I hope to tackle the upper this weekend. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013fiveO View Post

Yeah been doing more reading and it makes sense now. lol. I did the lowers by myself with no issues. I hope to tackle the upper this weekend. Thanks!
It's a bit of a pain and an extra set if hands will definitely be useful

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
2013fiveO,

Here's some instructions on installing a 05-10 Steeda adj UCA. It's not exactly your application, but the install process is still the same as the 11+ Mustangs. Hopefully this helps you some!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
an impact gun or 24v cordless or air is a major help...
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Make sure yo have a breaker bar handy for the top bolt the 1 under your rear seat, breaking that loose will be the hardest part of the job! Don't forget to set the correct pinion angle! Between -1 to -2!
2016 Gt/Cs autowith 3:55', mbrp cat back and a n/a build on the way!...
blackbeast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast12 View Post
Make sure yo have a breaker bar handy for the top bolt the 1 under your rear seat, breaking that loose will be the hardest part of the job! Don't forget to set the correct pinion angle! Between -1 to -2!
In this case, the pinion angle is defined as the angle between the axle and front drive shaft or axle and u-joint of transmission? Also, is negative defined as the axle (on DS side) pointing more downward than the transmission axis?
Alkhalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkhalil View Post

In this case, the pinion angle is defined as the angle between the axle and front drive shaft or axle and u-joint of transmission? Also, is negative defined as the axle (on DS side) pointing more downward than the transmission axis?
There should be an upward slope in the DS from the differential to the transmission. The "negative" angle would be measuring a downward angle from the trans

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
2013 Five 0

Your product will come with a set of instructions ... if you still need help ... let us know and we can try to troubleshoot any issues you may have.

You can reach us at 1-800-950-0774. We appreciate your business!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post

There should be an upward slope in the DS from the differential to the transmission. The "negative" angle would be measuring a downward angle from the trans
Thanks BG5.0. In this case, making it more negative is equivalent to expanding the UCA length. In my case with a stock non-adjustable UCA, that would be equivalent to shortening my adjustable LCA. Correct?
Old 06-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Great info. Thanks to everyone who responded!
Old 06-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

So I installed the UCA today. Great improvement in traction. However It was a major PITA to install.

What is the correct torque spec for the big 24mm bolt under the rear seat. I saw a video that said 129 ft lbs but it was WAY harder to get off than 129 ft lbs even with a breaker bar and steel pipe.

I need to be sure it is tight enough. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Hello Five0

I have an email in to our technical department. I will let you know what I find out.

Best Regards,

TJ
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
Old 06-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So I installed the UCA today. Great improvement in traction. However It was a major PITA to install.

What is the correct torque spec for the big 24mm bolt under the rear seat. I saw a video that said 129 ft lbs but it was WAY harder to get off than 129 ft lbs even with a breaker bar and steel pipe.

Same here. It was probably more like 160lb.
By the way, did you check the pinion angle (axle to rear drive shaft), to make sure it hasn't changed?
Old 06-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkhalil View Post
Same here. It was probably more like 160lb.
By the way, did you check the pinion angle (axle to rear drive shaft), to make sure it hasn't changed?
I read another forum where someone said that bolt is 350 ft lbs. Not sure what to believe. No I didn't check the angle because I got the non adjustable uca. Was I supposed to check?
Old 06-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

Factory spec is 350lb-ft with loctite. Many aftermarket parts have different tq specs for their UCA mounts/bolts, but that should be called out in the directions. If it was not, or if you re-used the stock mount/bolt then it should be 350 with fresh loctite.

Here's a link to the WSM if you have any further questions on tq specs.

Ford Service Manuals - Workshop Manuals
Old 06-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I spoke to our technical department and this is what was provided:

Torque to factory specs. I am pretty confident it is 129.

Best Regards,

TJ
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT