Fuel in oil! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Fuel in oil!

I think I'm gonna be sick, this last half tank of gas went slightly quicker than any previous half tank of fuel. Popped the hood after work pulled the dip stick smelled it and it smelled like fuel. My heart sank. This all after I almost traded the stang in. For whatever reason they felt it would have been a good idea to change the oil and whatever else they ill be talking to them tomorrow as to what they did on a vehicle they didn't own and the deal hadn't gone through yet to their knowledge.
2012Vader5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Vader5.0 View Post
I think I'm gonna be sick, this last half tank of gas went slightly quicker than any previous half tank of fuel. Popped the hood after work pulled the dip stick smelled it and it smelled like fuel. My heart sank. This all after I almost traded the stang in. For whatever reason they felt it would have been a good idea to change the oil and whatever else they ill be talking to them tomorrow as to what they did on a vehicle they didn't own and the deal hadn't gone through yet to their knowledge.

I'm trying to follow the last half of your post. Are you saying that you're trading in your Mustang, and when it was at the dealership they changed the oil? Not really sure what's going on here, but gasoline being in oil is very, very bad.
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstone94 View Post

I'm trying to follow the last half of your post. Are you saying that you're trading in your Mustang, and when it was at the dealership they changed the oil? Not really sure what's going on here, but gasoline being in oil is very, very bad.
Yep, gasoline in the oil will mess bearings up quick.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

Yep, gasoline in the oil will mess bearings up quick.
It definitely doesn't make a good lubricant.

For the OP:

Sometime cars left idling for long periods of time can run extremely rich and build up fuel almost causing a flooding situation comparable to the carbureted days of yesteryear. It's still odd that they would do anything to your car that wasn't theirs yet. Anyway, best case scenario it's that simple, change the oil and filter and check within few miles or hours after. Not as good scenario, you have a leaky injector or issues with your fuel pressure regulator. Worst case scenario and a very slim chance but a chance nonetheless, a bad piston ring or rings. Which is very bad news. And can be ruled out with a compression test very easily.
Either way, good luck. I hope they figure it out for you on their dime.

Question, how was it running up to your discovery?
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post

It definitely doesn't make a good lubricant.

For the OP:

Sometime cars left idling for long periods of time can run extremely rich and build up fuel almost causing a flooding situation comparable to the carbureted days of yesteryear. It's still odd that they would do anything to your car that wasn't theirs yet. Anyway, best case scenario it's that simple, change the oil and filter and check within few miles or hours after. Not as good scenario, you have a leaky injector or issues with your fuel pressure regulator. Worst case scenario and a very slim chance but a chance nonetheless, a bad piston ring or rings. Which is very bad news. And can be ruled out with a compression test very easily.
Either way, good luck. I hope they figure it out for you on their dime.

Question, how was it running up to your discovery?
It was and is running great, I have an appointment to drop the car off at a highly recommended extremely great reviews independent for a compression and leak down test. Depending on the results I get ill go from there.

I had recently been sitting In a parking with the engine running at idle. If that's the case of why the fuel made it to oil ill be confused but happy. If its a bigger problem ill upset and praying to the car gods ford does me right on this warranty issue and covers it under warranty. Mileage is at 24,000 miles.

I HAVE NOT touched the engine or the computer with any type of modification at all ever. No need to mess with an engine that is under warranty when I don't want to spend the extra money yet.

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

Quote:

I was going to trade in my mustang, the financing fell through and I took my mustang back. I'm glad the financing fell through though, it doesn't feel right driving anything but my mustang.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
No need to sweat. If you haven't modded it all at, and are only at 24k the warranty should definitely cover it. Unless you're past the 3 year old mark..
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
No need to sweat. If you haven't modded it all at, and are only at 24k the warranty should definitely cover it. Unless you're past the 3 year old mark..
3 year mark? These cars have a 5yr/60k mile powertrain warranty. No 5.0 could be old enough to have an expired warranty on time alone.

OP - I would just take the car to the dealership. Someone else tearing it down isn't going to do you and favors at Ford if they notices someone has been messing with it.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post

3 year mark? These cars have a 5yr/60k mile powertrain warranty. No 5.0 could be old enough to have an expired warranty on time alone.

OP - I would just take the car to the dealership. Someone else tearing it down isn't going to do you and favors at Ford if they notices someone has been messing with it.
Oh i didn't know that. I thought it was only the bumber to bumber 3yr/36k
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 06-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Oh i didn't know that. I thought it was only the bumber to bumber 3yr/36k
Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

On a side note - you have free roadside assistance from Ford for the same 5/60.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

On a side note - you have free roadside assistance from Ford for the same 5/60.
Good to know! Thanks!
Old 06-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Agreed on the taking it to the dealer, Iam not taking it my nearest one though. They have a hard enough time keeping techs and managers. Anyone around the Roswell/ Carlsbad New Mexico, area that knows of a good ford dealer or a trusted independent certified ford shop. I welcome the advice.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It was and is running great, I have an appointment to drop the car off at a highly recommended extremely great reviews independent for a compression and leak down test. Depending on the results I get ill go from there.

I had recently been sitting In a parking with the engine running at idle. If that's the case of why the fuel made it to oil ill be confused but happy. If its a bigger problem ill upset and praying to the car gods ford does me right on this warranty issue and covers it under warranty. Mileage is at 24,000 miles.

I HAVE NOT touched the engine or the computer with any type of modification at all ever. No need to mess with an engine that is under warranty when I don't want to spend the extra money yet.

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

I was going to trade in my mustang, the financing fell through and I took my mustang back. I'm glad the financing fell through though, it doesn't feel right driving anything but my mustang.

Fuel can also make it's way to the oil if you cut the car on and off for short periods of time. I'm hoping you get this worked out with the Dealer and they take care of you!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Fuel can also make it's way to the oil if you cut the car on and off for short periods of time. I'm hoping you get this worked out with the Dealer and they take care of you!
I'm hoping so too, I'm gonna change the oil to verify that fuel is Indeed getting in the oil. It hasn't smelled worse or change in viscosity at all since I discovered this.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm hoping so too, I'm gonna change the oil to verify that fuel is Indeed getting in the oil. It hasn't smelled worse or change in viscosity at all since I discovered this.
It won't change the viscosity, it just breaks down the lubrication components of the oil.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
OIL SEPARATOR KITS

Let me throw this question in this thread. Can someone explain to me what "Oil Separator Kits" do? I see Steeda, JLT and others have these kits, and the lines and filter mounts on the right side of Engine. Thinking about getting, but not really sure what it does.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
Let me throw this question in this thread. Can someone explain to me what "Oil Separator Kits" do? I see Steeda, JLT and others have these kits, and the lines and filter mounts on the right side of Engine. Thinking about getting, but not really sure what it does.
It catches any oil blow by from going back into the intake, as well as any moisture from condensation.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
I found all this by just typing "oil separator" into Google.
This should help answer your question.
Copied from JLT's Website:

JLT Performance’s newest product to keep oil out of your intake is the Oil Separator. During the process of venting crankcase pressure back through your intake track, large amounts of oil, in the form of vapors, can coat your blower rotors, intercooler fins and even dilute your gas, lowering its octane level. This happens on all engines and is even worse when supercharged as crankcase pressures are increased.

To combat this, we have developed an oil separator of our own design. Milled from solid billet aluminum this is a rock solid piece. It has a knurled tank base for easy removal to drain the spent oil and an O ring seal to prevent any leaks. We took this unit a step further and added a Ford Motorcraft metal mesh PCV Pre Filter element. This element collects the last bit of oil droplets and drains back into the tank when the engine is shut down. We use this exact filter in our hugely successful JLT Pre Filters for the 4.6 DOHC engines. The tank holds 2 oz of fluid, while that may not sound like a lot, you shouldn’t see that much oil in your PCV system. Drain it every oil change and you will never come close to filling it.

This new JLT Oil Separator is designed to work on any engine, but we have made it easy for many of the popular Mustangs we offer parts for. No more drilling holes and routing hoses all over your engine bay. Offered as a plug and play set up for all 2007-2011 Shelby GT500’s passenger and drivers side and 2005-2010 Mustang GT’s drivers side with factory PCV hard lines already attached. Simply unplug your stock line and attach the new set up, no bracket needed as it supports itself. When you’re ready to empty the tank, just undo the clips on the factory lines and remove the entire line, unscrew the tank, empty and reinstall. This will take less then 1 minute to complete, too easy!!

PLEASE READ FAQ

What size are the threads on the separator? 3/8 NPT

Do I need 1 or 2? That all depends on your engine. "Most" engines will see 80% of the oil come from the side with the PCV valve and 20% from the other. 2 is the best option, but may not be "needed" on all engines. GT500's PCV is on passenger side, most Cobras PCV is on the driver side.

Will this stop the excessive oil coming out of my crank case? No, if you have excessive oil coming out of your PCV from blow by or other internal wear this is not a fix. It is designed for normal good working engines to remove the oil from the PCV system.

I have your pre filter on my Cobra now, do I still need this? The JLT Pre Filter is a great product and filters a good amount of oil, but the separator stops much more. The best set up for any Cobra is the Seperator on the driver side and Pre Filter on the passenger side.

Will this fit my 94 GT with a turbo? You can make it fit anything. Get the base kit and then you can build it to fit with fittings and hose from any autoparts store.

Will this fit my 05-up GT with a Roush, Vortech, Whipple, Ect Supercharger on it? If you have the stock PCV line still in use, then most likely yes, but most aftermarket blowers do not use the stock line and will need to be custom set up. Get the base kit and plumb it in yourself, it's easy!
Old 06-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
I found all this by just typing "oil separator" into Google.
This should help answer your question.
+1

Let me google that for you
Old 06-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lmao!
Old 06-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

There was no fuel in the oil, it had to have been the motor craft oil that had the smell. Engine has good compression and acceptable leak down. Oil has also been changed again and back to Mobil 1 synthetic, for peace of mind.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Agreed on the taking it to the dealer, Iam not taking it my nearest one though. They have a hard enough time keeping techs and managers. Anyone around the Roswell/ Carlsbad New Mexico, area that knows of a good ford dealer or a trusted independent certified ford shop. I welcome the advice.
It aint close, but Lubbock has some good techs, so does Midland Odessa
86 muscle is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT