Boss intake mani packages - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Boss intake mani packages

I'm looking at getting the boss mani and I've noticed a few options (ebay mostly) when it comes to packages. I already have a CAI and tuner so the power pack isn't necessary.

Anyone ever had experience with high flow fuel rails? 90mm TB? Just wondering what a good companion will be.
Please dear God, protect my sweet ride.

2013 California Specil GT "Tater"
jdemK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemK View Post
I'm looking at getting the boss mani and I've noticed a few options (ebay mostly) when it comes to packages. I already have a CAI and tuner so the power pack isn't necessary.

Anyone ever had experience with high flow fuel rails? 90mm TB? Just wondering what a good companion will be.
Fuel rails would be a waste of money, and so would larger injectors unless you want to use e85. A 90mm throttle body like the bbk will help a little, but arguably so for the price tag. You'd be better off just getting the boss mani and the adapter for you cold air with a revised tune. After that get headers or some suspension work.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Do not waste money on the tb unless you are heads/cams. Or boost or nitrous.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I've seen a few posts about the TB being a waste. And for me (N/A, no no2) I'm good with just the mani and the adapter. So for the amount I'm saving, it looks like I'll be picking up whiteline's panhard, brace, and LCA relos.

Any of you have any pointers on the mani? You like the high end Hp?

Old 06-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've seen a few posts about the TB being a waste. And for me (N/A, no no2) I'm good with just the mani and the adapter. So for the amount I'm saving, it looks like I'll be picking up whiteline's panhard, brace, and LCA relos.

Any of you have any pointers on the mani? You like the high end Hp?
The high end HP that comes with the boss mani is very nice from what a dyno shows.. You can use more aggressive timing on the down low for more grunt.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

I will have a Boss manifold for sale on July 12th for cheap. Get the tvs installed the 11 Th. Check classifieds for posting then
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I was looking at the same thing here!
I've notice the power packs come with some type of vacuum lines also, so what is needed to for the conversion?

http://www.youtube.com/user/StoneWhiteDaytona/videos
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
Quote:

you referring to the ebay buy it now for the boss mani, bbk TB, and CAI for $850? I was tempted to get it but, my car only has 132 miles. Want to hit at least 2500 before I do any work to it.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

I will patiently be waiting for that post. There is someone on the mustang source forum who has one for $300.
lwevert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwevert View Post
you referring to the ebay buy it now for the boss mani, bbk TB, and CAI for $850? I was tempted to get it but, my car only has 132 miles. Want to hit at least 2500 before I do any work to it.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

I will patiently be waiting for that post. There is someone on the mustang source forum who has one for $300.

Thats exactly the one I was referring too! There was also one a bit ago that included some high flow fuel rails. I mean, none of it is really necessary for N/A engines, from what I now understand.

I'll be checking out the classifieds too! Looks like I've got a little competition

Old 06-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

You're going to love the Boss Manifold! I went with a Boss Manifold, Ford Racing Throttle Body, JLT CAI, LT Headers and O/R X-pipe all at once. Needless to say, my car went from stock an absolute animal!

Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I just switched over to a VMP tuning tvs. Only problem is i need 100 posts befire I can sell mine.It will come with the fuel rails,injectors and tb and all the black rubber insulation and a #635 plate on top. I'm also selling a steeda cai for the boss and the shock tower brace. Just be patient,I will try to get 100 posts asap.
chefron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I would never buy a boss mani. I had a buddy who bought it and didn't see enough gains to justify the price or the hype that everyone makes it to be. I'm saving for the cobra jet mani. Looks a lot better and for a few hundred more it would be worth it just have to see what gains are posted on it etc
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:12 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezx View Post
I would never buy a boss mani. I had a buddy who bought it and didn't see enough gains to justify the price or the hype that everyone makes it to be. I'm saving for the cobra jet mani. Looks a lot better and for a few hundred more it would be worth it just have to see what gains are posted on it etc
if you don't bring your rev limiter to 7500+ its not worth it. mine is set at 7800
Old 07-04-2013, 01:24 AM   #14
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

if you don't bring your rev limiter to 7500+ its not worth it. mine is set at 7800
+1 this ***** kicks in at higher rpms.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:24 AM   #15
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
True,......if you are not going to use it/beat it up a bit.......what's the point?
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:00 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I would agree about the cobra jet intake and the higher rpm it is made for but the gt cam's are not made for power over 7,000 rpm's so you lose low end power and won't get high rpm power so that is a mismatch of parts. smaller power band
chefron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:12 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Well in that case I would wait til I decide to get cams to do that
Old 07-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezx View Post
Wait, so you don't want a boss because you won't see gains, but you're going to get the FR cobra jet intake and expect some with normal driving? You still have to bring the RPMs up substantially. And I definitely feel more pull after 5k. So instead of listening to naysayers, I bought and CAN feel it.

By the way, the cobra jet is a "few hundred more", then there's the $700 throttle body you HAVE to buy. Oh and then there's my impatience haha.

But +1 on looks. The painted piano black CJ mani looks amazing.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

if you do not spin the boss intake to 7'600 + DO Not waste the money!!!!!! its that simple
Old 07-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

You also get more flow with the cobra throttle body. All in all its a nice package. I'm just not impressed with the boss mani in general my father has 12 boss and my car with just cat backs accelerates way quicker then his and has beat his with the track key. With the boss mani your going to have to get a bigger throttle body anyway to go with the aftermarket cai so either way your spending at least 1000 with either mani.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

I have seen some dyno charts suggesting the benefits to be at high RPM's. Has anyone seen Dyno evaluation of a forced intake with and without the boss manifold?
Alkhalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

You would not need to change your cams, just your valve springs right? The cam can handle the RPM it is the stock valve set up that cannot....Right?
BIGHOSS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGHOSS5.0 View Post
You would not need to change your cams, just your valve springs right? The cam can handle the RPM it is the stock valve set up that cannot....Right?
You don't need cams but the valve springs aren't meant to handle the rpms. The boss exhaust cams are actually a better profile and the cams are relatively cheap. If I was doing the springs I would change out for the boss cams also while I was in there.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post

You don't need cams but the valve springs aren't meant to handle the rpms. The boss exhaust cams are actually a better profile and the cams are relatively cheap. If I was doing the springs I would change out for the boss cams also while I was in there.
That is what I was thinking...I have delt with a few Boosted Stangs and we always changed the valve springs and rollers so they can handle more rpm...Thanks
Old 07-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkhalil View Post

I have seen some dyno charts suggesting the benefits to be at high RPM's. Has anyone seen Dyno evaluation of a forced intake with and without the boss manifold?
Anything that creates a path of less restriction will have dramatic effect on a forced induction engine. I'd imaging a centrifugal set up like the vortech could easily make 650+rwhp on 9-11psi with a boss manifold. You could make 650+ without it but it would require more boost. Same could also be said with long tube headers and forced induction. The exhaust scavenging effect creates even more torque than usual because the exhaust has more compression coming out of the engine. Essentially when you have a supercharger, anything that's get air in or out faster will dramatically increase hp and torque. Even a throttle body would net decent gains provided it increased air volume.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

As I stated above the Boss 302 and Steeda Cold Air intake are for sale in the classifieds section. will sell them together for an even better deal..
Old 07-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

boss intake and 4.10 gears make a nice combo, no low end loss and its a beast, lots of high end fun
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
boss intake and 4.10 gears make a nice combo, no low end loss and its a beast, lots of high end fun
What RPM range do you run hwy speeds? I am looking at 3.73 or 4.10's...
Old 07-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGHOSS5.0 View Post

What RPM range do you run hwy speeds? I am looking at 3.73 or 4.10's...
373.. 6th gear, 60 mph, 2k rpm
Old 07-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
373.. 6th gear, 60 mph, 2k rpm
Sounds right. I also think the 3.73s are fine with the Boss mani, buuuut I haven't driven a stang with the 4.10s and Boss mani.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:49 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Have you thought about a 3.90, once I quit daily driving mine that's what going in it.
Raxiom switchback turn signals, Black billet grill
Tinted tail lights and markers
86custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

You guys lost me. Sorry. Newbie here. What is the difference between 3.73 gears and 4.10?
Anthony214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #33
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
It's a ratio of how many times the driveshaft spins for every one revolution of the wheels. The higher the number the shorter the gear and the higher your engine rpms will be to drive the same speed as a longer (lower number) gear. Shorter gears will give a faster seat of the pants feel and get you into the power band faster and longer gears will give you slower acceleration but higher top speed

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
It's a ratio of how many times the driveshaft spins for every one revolution of the wheels. The higher the number the shorter the gear and the higher your engine rpms will be to drive the same speed as a longer (lower number) gear. Shorter gears will give a faster seat of the pants feel and get you into the power band faster and longer gears will give you slower acceleration but higher top speed
Good explanation. Ok so if I were to get 3.73s. Is there anything else I could do to balance out the top speed lost and regain it?
Anthony214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony214 View Post
Good explanation. Ok so if I were to get 3.73s. Is there anything else I could do to balance out the top speed lost and regain it?
How often do you go 155+mph? I think you will be fine with 3.73...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT