Clutch, Exhaust, Or New Car Smell - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Clutch, Exhaust, Or New Car Smell

Hey, I have a 2014 GT with a manual. I have had it for 3 weeks and have about 520 miles on it. I notice a smell after backing the car into my garage and very occasionally at low speeds with the windows down. The smell is a smokey smell coming from the rear of the car that goes away within a minute or two of turning the engine off. I am primarily worried it could be my clutch. I have to back up a slight hill to get into my garage. I have never owned a new car before but have my previous car was a manual that was my daily driver for five years. Is this just "new car burn off" from the engine or exhaust or is it something else, or am I just paranoid? Also, I normally cruise between 1500 and 2200 RPM. If anyone has any ideas or experiences it would be greatly appreciated because I am worried about the clutch. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You'll be ok most of the cars have oils and material in them that will burn off you can put a new x pipe with new cat and full exhaust on a old car and almost get the same smell. You should be ok just drive it and if it get worse you have warranty but most likely it's nothing to worry about. Mine had a weird smell for the first 1500 miles made sure the oil and fluids were good and drove it like I stole it. You learn these cars love rpm's they pull Ps congrats on the ride
Whtghost1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Mine smells sometimes when I hold the clutch while I'm driving in to my garage... Oh well
Gordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
It's just the new car being broke-in smell. :p It also could be a mix of 93 octane and a little bit of oil. These cars seem to love burning a little oil within the first 30k
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
My drivway is pretty steep also, If i ever have to back my car in I get the clutch smell you are describing. This odor has happened numerous times. Also my wife complains the car "stinks" after I get home right after a hard run into the upper registers of the rpm. What you are describing sounds normal.
mongo1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
As these guys said, it's a new car and the clutch is still breaking in at 500miles. It's nothing I would be alarmed about, especially since you're experienced with driving a manual transmission. The smell should stock occurring within the next could hundred miles though. Typically manufacturer's recommend 500miles flat (minimum) to break in a clutch..

Shane

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Thanks for all the responses. I have been babying the car and have not even had the engine past 2500 RPM. This helps alot to know that nothing is wrong.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust