removing catalytic converters - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #1

Region: California
removing catalytic converters

i installed a pair of 10 series flowmaster but it still doesnt have the noise i would like it have.
i was thinking bout removing the cats but i was told it would lose 10-15 hp i dnt know if this is true. i wanna be heard let people know im coming

any advise ????
exclusive_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by exclusive_10 View Post
i installed a pair of 10 series flowmaster but it still doesnt have the noise i would like it have.
i was thinking bout removing the cats but i was told it would lose 10-15 hp i dnt know if this is true. i wanna be heard let people know im coming

any advise ????
if anything the car would feel a little bit of gain... nowhere near a lose of power
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #3

thats what i imagine i just wanted to be sure before i did it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by exclusive_10 View Post

any advise ????
Complete opposite. You will gain HP. The faster you expel that air out, the more HP your getting. Your cats block a good amount of HP and torque.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
From what I saw it should be a 15 hp increase
Old 06-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #6
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Removing cats and a proper tune will yield 15-20 hp gain

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Has anyone just cut the cats out and welded a pipe in place? Or do people usually order catless x or h's?
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstone94 View Post
Has anyone just cut the cats out and welded a pipe in place? Or do people usually order catless x or h's?
Most people either buy an offroad midpipe or buy cat deletes. The exhaust is modular, there is no reason to weld, you'll just make it harder to change you exhaust in the future.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post

Most people either buy an offroad midpipe or buy cat deletes. The exhaust is modular, there is no reason to weld, you'll just make it harder to change you exhaust in the future.
^this.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

you will love the hp gain if you get with an off road mid pipe
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
do you lose lose low end torque?
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
do you lose lose low end torque?
No.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #13

thanx everyone for the advise im gonna go ahead and do it now
Old 06-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Removing the resonators will give a substantial gain in db as well, much cheaper than cat removal if you just want sound.

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

Ahh cool, I get to be the first one to use the word "issue" on this thread. Threads on this forum are no good without this word. This thread has now been christened & certified. :p
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
Removing the resonators will give a substantial gain in db as well, much cheaper than cat removal if you just want sound.

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

Ahh cool, I get to be the first one to use the word "issue" on this thread. Threads on this forum are no good without this word. This thread has now been christened & certified. :p
From my personal experience and opinion, by removing the resonators if you have no cats, the interior noise is horribly annoying when traveling speeds of 60 mph plus. I have BBK long tube headers and off road x pipe and the exterior sound is great. The interior sound was highly irritating with a high pitch sound. Once I had two resonators installed on, it greatly reduced the interior drone and almost gone. Still loud as heck from an exterior sound especially when wide open throttle.

Remove the cats, and your exhaust system is gonna sound awesome and ,,highly aggressive but GET THOSE RESONATORS welded on. Lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130625_125323.png
Views:	817
Size:	491.9 KB
ID:	115604

Name:	ForumRunner_20130625_125350.png
Views:	1138
Size:	540.2 KB
ID:	115605

Name:	ForumRunner_20130625_125430.png
Views:	351
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	115606
Old 06-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Mine had some HORRIBLE raspy sound with the 10-series and no cats. Like a raspy glasspack-ish sound. Loud as a mofo too. I had to get rid of them. With cats, they were ok though.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I have fought raspy since i bought my 12 but after a couple trial and errors I found the perfect tone that i like, no rasp at all amd very loud on wot, my set up is jba longtubes, jba orxp, factory over the axle pipes with resonators cout off and gt500 mufflers, no rasp, nice and loud deep rumble all the way thru rpms, alot of people say gt500's are too quiet and they are, until you put them behind longtubes and orxp, the resonators when i removed them it was even louder but still no rasp, its so far the only system that ive heard with longtubes and orxp that doesnt have the raspy sound, ive search and searched and found that alot of mufflers sound awesome until you add the headers and orxp, but this is just my opinion, i love the sound of the slp loudmouths on idle but it turns raspy in higher rpms, if someone has longtubes and orxp with muffler deletes i would like to know how they sound, i want to delete my mufflers for weight savings but wont do it if its raspy...
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I thought catalytic converters had to be on late model cars by law, anyone know? Also, we have emissions testing here in Virgina, will a car still pass without them?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I guess it is illegal to remove catalytic converters on late model cars, but apparently if you do not have an emissions test in your state/locality it likely will never be an issue for you.

According to Title II of the EPA Clean Air Act (Enacted Jan 1 1988) there are multiple regulations concerning the use or misuse of aftermarket catalytic converters, or the removal and/or modification of a stock catalytic converter. According to various parts of Section 203, all aftermarket catalytic converters must be EPA certified, and your car must have a gas conversion device of some manner. If not, both you and the installer are punishable of a Federal Offense by Section 205 (a). The operator's fine can be no more than $2,500 and the installation agency no more than $25,000.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by George T View Post
I thought catalytic converters had to be on late model cars by law, anyone know? Also, we have emissions testing here in Virgina, will a car still pass without them?
You must be in northern VA because here in Richmond the extent of the emissions test is to see if cats are on the exhaust, and they don't even check if they are hollowed or not.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
I guess it is illegal to remove catalytic converters on late model cars, but apparently if you do not have an emissions test in your state/locality it likely will never be an issue for you.

According to Title II of the EPA Clean Air Act (Enacted Jan 1 1988) there are multiple regulations concerning the use or misuse of aftermarket catalytic converters, or the removal and/or modification of a stock catalytic converter. According to various parts of Section 203, all aftermarket catalytic converters must be EPA certified, and your car must have a gas conversion device of some manner. If not, both you and the installer are punishable of a Federal Offense by Section 205 (a). The operator's fine can be no more than $2,500 and the installation agency no more than $25,000.
That's why they are called off road midpipes lol. They are meant for off road use only

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

From my personal experience and opinion, by removing the resonators if you have no cats, the interior noise is horribly annoying when traveling speeds of 60 mph plus. I have BBK long tube headers and off road x pipe and the exterior sound is great. The interior sound was highly irritating with a high pitch sound. Once I had two resonators installed on, it greatly reduced the interior drone and almost gone. Still loud as heck from an exterior sound especially when wide open throttle.

Remove the cats, and your exhaust system is gonna sound awesome and ,,highly aggressive but GET THOSE RESONATORS welded on. Lol
BTW gt's have resonators from the factory, our 3.7s don't
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I have the magnaflow 3" off road x and 3" cat back with street mufflers I don't have this interior noise I think when you try to pair the after market with factory it's bad the factory is not designed to be mated with aftermarket so your going to get weird noises
Thomas11CS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post

That's why they are called off road midpipes lol. They are meant for off road use only

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

BTW gt's have resonators from the factory, our 3.7s don't
True that.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #24
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:

And if you sell the car, either to a private individual or as a trade it to a dealer, even with an "as is" sale, they can come back and fine you. My son sold his catless Subaru a few years ago. Three days after he sold it, he was presented papers at his work, stating he could either buy the car back, pay for installation of cats, or be fined and charged by federal law. He refunded the money to the purchaser and installed the cats, and kept the car (he had sellers remorse).

I'd keep the cats if you do remove them, as you'll need to re-install them when you sell/trade in the car. Federal law supersedes all state laws, so if your lucky to live in a state without inspections, it won't matter when removing the cats.

There are easier and lwful ways to get the so called 10 to 15 HP gains (I doubt it's this high; they are pretty free flowing anyhow). If it's more noise you are after, install the Borla or Roush axle backs. They will get you the attention you may be after.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:21 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
And if you sell the car, either to a private individual or as a trade it to a dealer, even with an "as is" sale, they can come back and fine you. My son sold his catless Subaru a few years ago. Three days after he sold it, he was presented papers at his work, stating he could either buy the car back, pay for installation of cats, or be fined and charged by federal law. He refunded the money to the purchaser and installed the cats, and kept the car (he had sellers remorse).

I'd keep the cats if you do remove them, as you'll need to re-install them when you sell/trade in the car.
When you sell the car just purchase and install the high flowing catted x pipe. It connects the same to the long tube headers. Just unbolt the off road x pipe and bolt the new high flowing x pipe. Problem solved.

The factory catted pipe will not connect to your aftermarket long tube headers. No need to save the factory x pipe
Old 06-26-2013, 06:32 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

When you sell the car just purchase and install the high flowing catted x pipe. It connects the same to the long tube headers. Just unbolt the off road x pipe and bolt the new high flowing x pipe. Problem solved.

The factory catted pipe will not connect to your aftermarket long tube headers. No need to save the factory x pipe
I save all of my original parts BC if I ever trade/sell I will demod it and sell the parts separately. More money that way
Old 06-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #27
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
I save all of my original parts BC if I ever trade/sell I will demod it and sell the parts separately. More money that way
That's always a good plan.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's always a good plan.
Backup plan lol. I don't plan on ever selling but you never know
Old 06-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #29
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Backup plan lol. I don't plan on ever selling but you never know
I've said this to my wife of 30 years now. She has heard it around 52 times now (yep, I've owned over 52 vehicles, and still going). She's a keeper!
Old 06-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've said this to my wife of 30 years now. She has heard it around 52 times now (yep, I've owned over 52 vehicles, and still going). She's a keeper!
Lol
Old 06-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not including the cars my dad has flipped, he has owned probably 25-30 since I've been alive, and I'm 18. With the ones he has flipped probably around 100.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah, but then you have to take off your headers and put back your stick manifolds. Extra work. You can leave the BBK headers on and just put on the high flowing catted x pipe. Just unbolt the off road pipe and bolt the catted pipe. Done. No need to take off the headers and put back the stock manifolds
Old 06-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah, but then you have to take off your headers and put back your stick manifolds. Extra work. You can leave the BBK headers on and just put on the high flowing catted x pipe. Just unbolt the off road pipe and bolt the catted pipe. Done. No need to take off the headers and put back the stock manifolds
It would be worth the money to swap them to me.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It would be worth the money to swap them to me.
Thats cool. When I sell my pony some day I will just remove the off road pipe and connect a high flowing catted pipe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT