Thinking about lowering - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Thinking about lowering

Since my birthday is coming up, my wife is looking to get me something big.

I've come down to either getting a go pro hero,,, or getting my car lowered. I'm not going to break the bank on her, so I woul only get something you guys would recommend. (Can't do coilovers)...

But one thing I am worried about is whether or not I need a new panhard bar... getting one in the future isn't relatively an option so if it's something I literally do not need, I'm going to pass...

Also, when I had my 02' I lowered the car by 1.5" on BBK specific rate springs... It literally ruined the ride of the car. So if lowering my car is going to give me noticeable rattle in the cabin, I'll pull those bad boys right back out.

Need some help and advice from the guys here who have lowered.
slonison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Lowered mine with Eibach Sportlines, Koni STRT's, GT500 mounts, camber bolts, BMR LCA's, relo brackets and panhard bar. All together about $1300. People say if you don't get new struts/shocks it will ride worse and wear out the factory units pretty quick. Also depending on how far you lower depends on how far over your rear end will be. With a mild drop it might not be noticeable.

Just saw that you have an 02 model. Sure you meant to post in this section('10-'14)? At least that's what your profile says. Did you get a newer car?
ARfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Sold the 02. Now I own a 2013
slonison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slonison View Post
Sold the 02. Now I own a 2013
Gotcha. Then I stand by what I said in previous post. If all you are asking about is the panhard bar, it is not required when you lower, but in my opinion, it is worth having. If you only lower 1" or so, no one might ever notice that the rear end is kicked to the drivers side a little. I did all the parts because I wanted to do it right the first time and be done with it for the most part. Only thing I need to finish it off is an adjustable UCA and bracket. Mine is lowered 1.7" F and 2.4" R. It rides stiffer than stock and you can tell, but I love the ride. Also got rid of the nose dive when braking and staring at the sky on hard launches. Worth every penny.
ARfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I talked to jayman over the phone and he recommended eibach pro 249.99 and a panhard bar 110. Said if I was only looking for a 1.5 drop and not looking for performance but not losing performance either. So this is what I'm going with. My birthday is next month and will be ordering then.
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:45 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
Birthday present are the best
Old 06-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I would highly recommend some new shocks/struts. The ride quality is just not going to be comfortable at all. Like stated before, look into the Koni str.t dampeners. I also have, and love them. They are a great way to go, and wont break the bank. At the very least, i would also recommend camber bolts and gt500 strut mounts.. If you can afford them, look into the maximum motorsports or steeda cc plates.
Again, as mentioned above, a panhard bar is not technically "needed", but you would be surprised how off the rear will look, even if it shifts just a little. Some people can live with it, others are driven crazy by it.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
I would advise against camber bolts if you do any racing or have rough roads. Camber bolts don't do a great job of holding their position over potholes ect... You might need an alignment more often with these.

Mm camber plates are louder than the steeda mounts also. I had zero nvh with the steeda's, and just a little with the mm camber plates.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:10 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Ok guys. Didn't want to break the bank. Bc I also wanted a tuner. But guess ill have to put that off for a while. Do y'all think I would be alright with
Eibach sports (f 1.3" b 2.0") 239.99 mm caster camber plates 324.99 and Whiteline adj ph bar 179 for just right now. I'm not looking for that smooth ride (as of now). And then later on when I get taxes or my money tree develops. I get str.t shocks and struts, bmr Uca's and lca's. I know these questions have been beat to death. But I'm just looking for a drop for now. That won't kill my tires. And I can get that luxury smooth ride when I get that luxury moo-la.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpost08 View Post
Ok guys. Didn't want to break the bank. Bc I also wanted a tuner. But guess ill have to put that off for a while. Do y'all think I would be alright with
Eibach sports (f 1.3" b 2.0") 239.99 mm caster camber plates 324.99 and Whiteline adj ph bar 179 for just right now. I'm not looking for that smooth ride (as of now). And then later on when I get taxes or my money tree develops. I get str.t shocks and struts, bmr Uca's and lca's. I know these questions have been beat to death. But I'm just looking for a drop for now. That won't kill my tires. And I can get that luxury smooth ride when I get that luxury moo-la.
That'll be fine.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I personally would do the shocks and struts first with the springs. And then do camber plates further down the line if you're trying to save now. Your stock dampeners, and stock strut mounts will both eventually go out on you anyway , so might as well do the dampeners first so you atleast have a comfortable ride. You say you dont care now, but after a couple thousand miles, i bet you change your mind. Only problem with that is if you go with the str.ts you will need new strut mounts anyway. As they only make the 05-10 model. You will either have to get the MM plates, which work with both the 05-10 or 11+ struts. Or the cheaper route, with the gt500 mounts. Honestly man, if you dont have air tools, the install is kind of a bear. Its easy in a sense, but those bolts are really on there. So i would just do all three at once, or else your basically going to be doing the job twice to add mounts or dampeners later on.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 06-27-2013, 01:22 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
I personally would do the shocks and struts first with the springs. And then do camber plates further down the line if you're trying to save now. Your stock dampeners, and stock strut mounts will both eventually go out on you anyway , so might as well do the dampeners first so you atleast have a comfortable ride. You say you dont care now, but after a couple thousand miles, i bet you change your mind. Only problem with that is if you go with the str.ts you will need new strut mounts anyway. As they only make the 05-10 model. You will either have to get the MM plates, which work with both the 05-10 or 11+ struts. Or the cheaper route, with the gt500 mounts. Honestly man, if you dont have air tools, the install is kind of a bear. Its easy in a sense, but those bolts are really on there. So i would just do all three at once, or else your basically going to be doing the job twice to add mounts or dampeners later on.
So what your saying is springs
Shocks and struts.
Mm camber plates or gt500 mounts
Panhard bar. <- need to be adj??
Old 06-27-2013, 04:30 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So what your saying is springs
Shocks and struts.
Mm camber plates or gt500 mounts
Panhard bar. <- need to be adj??
That's personally what I would do.. You will thank me later when you don't have to do all that work twice haha. If you wait on lcas, and uca, those two are done individually. You don't have to take anything else apart.
And yes, you need an adjustable panhard bar to bring the rear back to center, as it will shift to one side when lowering.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's personally what I would do.. You will thank me later when you don't have to do all that work twice haha. If you wait on lcas, and uca, those two are done individually. You don't have to take anything else apart.
And yes, you need an adjustable panhard bar to bring the rear back to center, as it will shift to one side when lowering.
What's the advantage of camber plates over the gt500 mounts??
Old 06-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:

What's the advantage of camber plates over the gt500 mounts??
Camber plates adjust camber. Gt500 mounts do not. Anything more than 1.5 drop I would do camber plates. Some people have got alignments in spec with gt500 mounts and some have not. If your getting 05-10 camber plates you will need springs from an 05-10 strut mount as well. Some camber plates use a spherical bushing, so it stiffens up the front a little more than gt500 mounts.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post

Camber plates adjust camber. Gt500 mounts do not. Anything more than 1.5 drop I would do camber plates. Some people have got alignments in spec with gt500 mounts and some have not. If your getting 05-10 camber plates you will need springs from an 05-10 strut mount as well. Some camber plates use a spherical bushing, so it stiffens up the front a little more than gt500 mounts.
I recommend getting the MM plates, regardless of how low you are going, since not only are they stronger than the gt500s but they work with both the 05-10 shocks, and the 11+. I like that option, so further down the line if i can't find 05-10 shocks anymore, i can use the 11+ without having to buy new mounts. Not sure if the Steedas are the same way or not. You can also adjust caster with both as well.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok. Well. I have a 2012. And was going to do the str.t. 05-10. But they will work in my car if I get the camber plates. Correct?

---------- Post added at 07:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 AM ----------

Ok. So will work. Thanks a lot guys for baring with me. First time ever working with a car. Or on a car.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:13 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok. Well. I have a 2012. And was going to do the str.t. 05-10. But they will work in my car if I get the camber plates. Correct?
Yes sir. The only difference is the length of the threads on the top of the strut. The MM plates come with a spacer to use on the 05-10 struts.

Im currently running the koni str.ts with these plates and love the setup. Adjustments are easy as cake, and we got it aligned with no problems at all. Spot on.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:

---------- Post added at 07:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 AM ----------

Ok. So will work. Thanks a lot guys for baring with me. First time ever working with a car. Or on a car.
Yes but you need the spring perch from 05-10 strut mounts.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes but you need the spring perch from 05-10 strut mounts.
Not correct. I used the spring perch of my 14. Just make sure you get the 11-14 CC plates

Here is the exact set you need. I promise you im right haha
http://www.americanmuscle.com/mm-cas...ates-2011.html
Old 06-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:

I recommend getting the MM plates, regardless of how low you are going, since not only are they stronger than the gt500s but they work with both the 05-10 shocks, and the 11+. I like that option, so further down the line if i can't find 05-10 shocks anymore, i can use the 11+ without having to buy new mounts. Not sure if the Steedas are the same way or not. You can also adjust caster with both as well.
Nah dude. 05-10 mm camber plates won't work with 11+ struts. Mm makes 11+ specific camber plates. Unless I'm missing something here.

---------- Post added at 06:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 AM ----------

Quote:

Not correct. I used the spring perch of my 14. Just make sure you get the 11-14 CC plates

Here is the exact set you need. I promise you im right haha
http://www.americanmuscle.com/mm-cas...ates-2011.html
Hmm...I didn't realize that. So the 11-14 plates can be used on 05-10 struts?
Old 06-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nah dude. 05-10 mm camber plates won't work with 11+ struts. Mm makes 11+ specific camber plates. Unless I'm missing something here.
I PROMISE you they work. The only difference between the two struts is the length of the threads. The 05-10 is about a half longer. The 11-14 CC plates come with a spacer to use, if using 05-10 struts.
Correct. They will work with both. You just need to make sure you get the 11+ CC in order for them to work with the 11+ perch.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Heres a couple pics from the instructions

Click image for larger version

Name:	guide-47028-29.jpeg
Views:	146
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	115827

Name:	guide-47028-28.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	115828

Name:	guide-47028-30.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	115829
Old 06-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
Heres a couple pics from the instructions
That's cool. I didn't know that. I've only had 05-10 mm camber plates
Old 06-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's cool. I didn't know that. I've only had 05-10 mm camber plates
Yes sir. Huge advantage in my opinion.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So does it come with the spacers??
Old 06-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So does it come with the spacers??
Yes it does.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #28
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yeah, if I knew that I would have got them. I didn't actually like how much noise the mm's produced though. Do your 11-14 mounts add nvh?
Old 06-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah, if I knew that I would have got them. I didn't actually like how much noise the mm's produced though. Do your 11-14 mounts add nvh?
No sir. The only nvh i get is a little bit in the rear from my panhard bar and lcas.
On second thought, i do get a bit of a squeek when hitting a bigger bump, but im almost 100% positive that its the springs. Very faint tho.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No sir. The only nvh i get is a little bit in the rear from my panhard bar and lcas.
Which panhard bar did you go with. I heard whiteline has no noise.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Which panhard bar did you go with. I heard whiteline has no noise.
Im personally not a fan of whiteline. Especially not after hearing about the failures from their UCAs which are actually now under recall. That being said, i have also heard they are pretty quite. I went with the J&M adjustable panhard bar instead. A little noisy when hitting bumps but it doesnt bother me much. My lcas and brackets are bmr.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Im personally not a fan of whiteline. Especially not after hearing about the failures from their UCAs which are actually now under recall. That being said, i have also heard they are pretty quite. I went with the J&M adjustable panhard bar instead. A little noisy when hitting bumps but it doesnt bother me much. My lcas and brackets are bmr.
Gotcha. Thanks again.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

No problem man. Let me know if you need anymore help!
Old 06-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #34
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:

Eh, IMO that's not a fair judgement. WL came out and admitted that there was an issue and is replacing all the failed components with a more sturdy piece at no charge to their customers. I don't base a company on how well they handle success but rather how they handle adversity. They admitted they were wrong and are making it right. They have been making performance suspension for quite some time for many different cars. They know their stuff

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post

Eh, IMO that's not a fair judgement. WL came out and admitted that there was an issue and is replacing all the failed components with a more sturdy piece at no charge to their customers. I don't base a company on how well they handle success but rather how they handle adversity. They admitted they were wrong and are making it right. They have been making performance suspension for quite some time for many different cars. They know their stuff
Not arguing that at all. I just PERSONALLY don't want their parts on my car. Not trying to steer anybody else away from them though. And you are 100% correct in regards to the way they handled the situation. They proved that they are committed to providing good quality products for their customers. Again, i personally just prefer BMR. Mainly being because, whiteline is pretty new to the mustang world and i dont have any "real life" experience with their parts. I have had alot of BMR parts on past cars, without ever having a single problem. My philosophy is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT