Your Input on this Pinion Angle - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Your Input on this Pinion Angle

I have a 2013 GT that was lowered with BMR lowering springs. I replaced the LCAs and Panhard with Whiteline adjustables. I tweaked the panhard and LCA's and all seems centered.

I managed to get the pinion angle with stock UCA. I had bought the Whiteline but that was recalled. See the image below for Pinion angle. Please verify that it is about +2 degrees instead of the recommended -2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2984065586.jpg
Views:	1440
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	115380  
Alkhalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
It depends on how you're looking at it, from the trans it would be minus 2*, from the bottoms of the differential it would also be minus two degrees. From the top of the diff it's +2 degrees. Main point is that you want the DS angled upward to the trans from the diff 2*

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
It depends on how you're looking at it, from the trans it would be minus 2*, from the bottoms of the differential it would also be minus two degrees. From the top of the diff it's +2 degrees. Main point is that you want the DS angled upward to the trans from the diff 2*
Sorry, but I am still confused. Since I have the 2-piece stock drive shaft, no adjustment is necessary on the forward DS. Between the differential and the rear DS, it would seem like the axel is pointing up too high, making me think that with an adjustable UCA, I should shorten the arm to rotate the diff downward such that the rear DS is sloping upward by 2 deg relative to the diff instead of the way around as it is now. Doing that will make both drive shafts more aligned and the diff pointing downward by 2 deg relative to the rear DS.

I am trying to understand the specification of relative angles between the diff and rear drive shaft. I
Have a lot of clunking noise every time I change gears or even go over a rough road. All the noise is coming from what seems like the drive shaft.

Thanks for your input and patience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Yes, the rear half of the DS will need to be 2* relative to the differential. Sorry about the confusion I have a 1 piece and didn't even think about there being 2 halves.

As far as the clunking noise, from my experience that's seems to be the play in between the 2 half shafts "wobbling" and shaking and is reverberated through the rest of the drivetrain. Now that you have higher durometer bushings in your suspension you will have increased nvh, those bushing don't absorb noise as well as the stock rubber bushings so more sound is transferred.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Ok, people tend to over think this.

Take the DS angle, note whether its negative (down) or positive (up).

Take the pinion flange angle, same.

Subract the DS angle from the pinion angle and you have your inclusive pinion angle. Ideally, you want a couple degrees negative at rest on a 3-link so the DS and the flange align perfectly under load. Not more than 3 on a road car, though.

It doesn't matter what the measure of each of the items is, it's the inclusive calculated angle that's relevant.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Yes, the rear half of the DS will need to be 2* relative to the differential. Sorry about the confusion I have a 1 piece and didn't even think about there being 2 halves.
OK. We're getting there now. The question is the sign. The angle difference should be 2 deg. But in my case, the differential is pointing high while the rear DS is more horizontal. If I rotate the diff down (shorten the arm on the UCA), I can force the angle difference to be zero. If I rotate it a little more, I can get to -2 angle difference. This to me sounds like the correct attitude setting. Am I correct?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
heyy sorry to butt in but I am feeling a lot of vibration from my DS. could this be because of my pinion angle? I didn't change it at all when I installed my DS. thanks
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
heyy sorry to butt in but I am feeling a lot of vibration from my DS. could this be because of my pinion angle? I didn't change it at all when I installed my DS. thanks
Yea it could be, it could also be from an out of balance driveshaft or simply having lines up the heavy spots on the trans flange and driveshaft. I would start by checking the pinion angle, if that doesn't fix the problem then clock the driveshaft 90* at a time from the trans output shaft until vibration goes away

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkhalil View Post

OK. We're getting there now. The question is the sign. The angle difference should be 2 deg. But in my case, the differential is pointing high while the rear DS is more horizontal. If I rotate the diff down (shorten the arm on the UCA), I can force the angle difference to be zero. If I rotate it a little more, I can get to -2 angle difference. This to me sounds like the correct attitude setting. Am I correct?
5LHO answered this question perfectly just above your post

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT