Mustang Evolution Forum banner

headers shortys vs long tubes

8K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  Mustang50 
#1 ·
Ok guy I used the search bar looked through everything nothing helpful... I was wondering whats the major differences between long tubes and shortys is the power gain more with long tubes if so how much

#2 ·
i gained about 19 rwhp with just longtubes alone and a way better sounding exhaust

#3 ·
The stock headers on the mustang are very efficient tri-y design and flow pretty well, because of this, shorties really don't do anything for your car, you won't likely see any power gains. LT's on the other hand give a better, deeper, more crisp tone. They're a bit more expensive and most people don't believe the money/work involved in installing them, is worth it. But I have mine and I love them and of do it again

#4 ·
Ok so here is what I have exhaust wise give me your opinion I have a bbk after cat xpipe and slp loud mouth axle back if I go with long tubes I will have to get a different x/h pipe right? And where the slp is just a muffler delete how loud is this going to be I track my car alot but I also drive it from time to time have a work car but this is my weekend car

#5 ·
You'll need to buy a shorty mid pipe. For instance if you bought the BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tubes, you'll need to add on the BBK Shorty O/R or Catted mid pipe.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Doesn't it say that it will mate to factory cats only if you use a JPC catted X-Pipe, or do I have something mixed up?

#11 ·
The JPC headers replace your stock manifolds and your cats. And it will mount directly to your factory H pipe, essentially giving you a off road H. If you wanted a different H pipe, you would just shop for a after cat H. Heartthrob, JBA, MAC, Mbrp, and MRT make one. With the Heartthrob cat to axle pipes, you can get them with a HPipe. It would go from the collectors of the JPC Headers all the way back, keeping your Axle backs Modular, deleting your resonators and its mandrel bent piping. For $379.99

http://www.americanmuscle.com/2011-mustang-hpipe.html

Reactions: primer2tone
#18 ·
I'm running sw LT's and offroad x with FRPP sports which are essentially rebranded s types, it sounds pretty good and is very loud at wot and quiet at idle, can't speak for muffler deletes but I can't imagine the tone will be all that great, it'll be more like a noise dump than a musical tone that your v8 should be

#19 ·
OP, If your looking to get power HP and torque gains the choice is simple. GO WITH LONG TUBE HEADERS. There amazing with the sound and power gains are great. If you want no power gains and a shinny header that looks better than your stock manifold, buy the shortly header. Waste of money for the shortly in my opinion. I have the ceramic BBK long tube headers with o/r x pipe and real happy with them. Big difference in power.

#22 ·
Kooks new super street shortys have 1/78th primaries and 3" collectors that bolt right up to your cats. Jdm performance installed them on a n/a 5.0 with a high flow h pipe and peaked 25 hp in testing. When i bought a set from them i told them i have a bassani 3 inch true x pipe they said i will see even more. My car is supercharged and these headers make some power. They are not as loud as long tubes, but louder then the stock units. Take a look here to see how they outperform the stock headers:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151422696125139.505510.121068375138&type=1

#23 ·
I had the magnaflow tru x pipe and that thing was amazing as far as the hp gains but the rasp was horrible...

#30 ·
like I said before I have LT's and orxp with gt500's zero rasp, loud, and deep rumble, would love to do a muffler delete to shed weight, but I would rather carry the 30lbs then have rasp

#33 · (Edited)
The stock mufflers weigh 30lbs as well no biggy, they sound good...i have an extra drivers side gt-500 muffler in storage. A lady hit my passenger side 6 months ago and the replacement came in a box of 2 so i have a spare still the box, i don't know what to do with. ..lol

#35 ·
i dont know for sure what they weigh but i bet its close to 30 per muffler, compared to say 10lbs for a muffler delete?

#36 ·
Just to let you guys know the gt500 mufflers weigh in at about 22lbs a piece, so if you can take 44lbs off your car and add muffler deletes which probably weigh in at ? maybe 10lbs a piece? maybe 5? anyway taking 30 lbs off your car is always good, does anyone have the slp loudmouths muffler deletes and how many lbs they are?, sound? raspy?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.