Cutting part of factory grill.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Cutting part of factory grill..

Ok so I want to cut some of the grill out that is on the right side of the grill next to factory fog light, I want all the airflow I can get and the air inlet is right behind that foglight, Im thinking of just removing the some of the plastic between the horizontal pieces..anyone done that yet? obviously it will allow more air, and debri and probably water, but I dont drive in rain very much and was going to put a screen dehind it, and im doubting that anyone would ever notice it as long as i do it so it looks professional...let me know.
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
Ok so I want to cut some of the grill out that is on the right side of the grill next to factory fog light, I want all the airflow I can get and the air inlet is right behind that foglight, Im thinking of just removing the some of the plastic between the horizontal pieces..anyone done that yet? obviously it will allow more air, and debri and probably water, but I dont drive in rain very much and was going to put a screen dehind it, and im doubting that anyone would ever notice it as long as i do it so it looks professional...let me know.
It would be no different than adding an open grille. Just dremel out those little pieces
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

yeah i know, im just out of money right now and too cheap to buy a new grill, I like the big fogs anyways, and i know its not alot of air but it will help some im sure
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
yeah i know, im just out of money right now and too cheap to buy a new grill, I like the big fogs anyways, and i know its not alot of air but it will help some im sure
People putting open grilles have been claiming all kinds of things like cooler a/c, oil temps, and of course engine temperatures. I doubt the ford engineers did that horrible of a job designing the grille that there would be that much improvement by adding an open grille but who knows. They did spend years on the design of the car and they did design this awesome 5.0 motor we all rave about
Old 06-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
People putting open grilles have been claiming all kinds of things like cooler a/c, oil temps, and of course engine temperatures. I doubt the ford engineers did that horrible of a job designing the grille that there would be that much improvement by adding an open grille but who knows. They did spend years on the design of the car and they did design this awesome 5.0 motor we all rave about
that they did...I just dont like that the inlet tube is directly behind the fog and the part of the grill that is closed, im sure its for a reason, but here in florida I need all the air I can get...maybe in the north where its cold it makes for more heat when you need it.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:

I agree with this for the most part, but I do believe they would leave some cooling capabilities on the table, the car still has to meet many emissions standards and part of doing this requires the engine to reach proper operating temp within a certain period of time from starting the car. In colder weather and climates it still needs to be able to quickly reach normal operating temp.

I'm not saying that engine temp directly effects emissions, but it does directly effect fuel consumption. A cold engine doesn't work optimally thus an emissions change during cold operation.

Point is, there could very well still be better cooling capabilities than stock.

Cost and federal mandate dictates the way things are engineered as much as performance does with high performance cars

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
I agree with this for the most part, but I do believe they would leave some cooling capabilities on the table, the car still has to meet many emissions standards and part of doing this requires the engine to reach proper operating temp within a certain period of time from starting the car. In colder weather and climates it still needs to be able to quickly reach normal operating temp.

I'm not saying that engine temp directly effects emissions, but it does directly effect fuel consumption. A cold engine doesn't work optimally thus an emissions change during cold operation.

Point is, there could very well still be better cooling capabilities than stock.

Cost and federal mandate dictates the way things are engineered as much as performance does with high performance cars
I totally agree, and im sure what little im cutting out will only be a minimul air increase, but like i said even at 8am in florida its plenty warm enough, heck the car is always warm
Old 06-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

+1

Very good point, and most wouldn't even think from that perspective. I also assume that they blocked off certain sections of the upper and lower grille just to help prevent damage from road debris to your condenser or oil cooler. You're going to get some damage regardless however. It's another +100 degree day today in south Texas, and I can feel my black leather burning through my t-shirts when I leave the car in the parking lot at the local grocery store for a short 20 minutes. I know exactly how you are feeling being from Florida, but Atleast you get alot of rain lol
Old 06-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

+1

Very good point, and most wouldn't even think from that perspective. I also assume that they blocked off certain sections of the upper and lower grille just to help prevent damage from road debris to your condenser or oil cooler. You're going to get some damage regardless however. It's another +100 degree day today in south Texas, and I can feel my black leather burning through my t-shirts when I leave the car in the parking lot at the local grocery store for a short 20 minutes. I know exactly how you are feeling being from Florida, but Atleast you get alot of rain lol
Lol yea most people don't think of it that way but I'm going to school right now for mechanical engineering, they're pretty much twisting my arm into thinking that way lol

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol yea most people don't think of it that way but I'm going to school right now for mechanical engineering, they're pretty much twisting my arm into thinking that way lol
Ive been a racer my whole life and my car is basically a racecar, im constantly looking for ways to shed weight and add hp, and improve things for certain climates, im from vt and up there i wouldnt cut the grill out because it very rarely gets to 80 and its always cold in the mornings, but believe me i know how hot tx is i spent some time there last yr and no thanks....lol if i still lived in vt i would take my ac out, even here in fl i never use it, but my gf has to have it....
Old 06-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's what I went for! Senior design was awesome. We got to design the exterior of a lawnmower for aerodynamics to help achieve "high speeds" lol
Old 06-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #12
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

That's what I went for! Senior design was awesome. We got to design the exterior of a lawnmower for aerodynamics to help achieve "high speeds" lol
Haha, bobby Boucher style!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3145009456.jpg
Views:	2866
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	115753

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha, bobby Boucher style!!
Yessir! We made it look like a formula 1 lawnmower and it made it all the way 13mph downhill :O. 2nd place by .8mph

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT