Suspension has Arthritis - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Suspension has Arthritis

When i go over bumps of any kind and especially the big rounded 3 foot wide ones, my 2013GT sounds like an old grandpa with bad hips. Creeeeeaaaaaaaaak. The entire travel distance just makes a lot of groaning and it is present in the front mostly but in the rear too.

I installed FRPP shocks/struts/springs and now that the heat of summer is here its just gotten terrible.

Any ideas?
Budwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Sounds like lower control arms. I had mine done on a 13 (v6) there is a tsb. It made horrible noises or bumps. My car was 1 month old when it started and was really bad in the heat. They changed them and all is good! You might have the same issue.
FastFord13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
These sounds started happing after the suspension upgrade right?
2016 Gt/Cs autowith 3:55', mbrp cat back and a n/a build on the way!...
blackbeast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
The bushings squeak because there is so much suspension travel in the stock set up. If you lower it the wont squeak. My left one was replaced and my right one started up, but went away when lowered it.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
The upper shock bolts might be too tight. I had the worst squeaking and I kept loosening them until it went away (mostly, now it does it when there is a lot of moisture in the air). Apparently if you tighten them with no load on the suspension they will bind and cause the squeak. This is what I did so I think I'm going to try taking the bolt off with the *** in the air and then putting some load on the suspension and tightening it again.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
The upper shock bolts might be too tight. I had the worst squeaking and I kept loosening them until it went away (mostly, now it does it when there is a lot of moisture in the air). Apparently if you tighten them with no load on the suspension they will bind and cause the squeak. This is what I did so I think I'm going to try taking the bolt off with the *** in the air and then putting some load on the suspension and tightening it again.
That could definitely be the problem in the rear. A LOT of people overtighten these nuts.

The front could be that, LCAs (known TSB for about three years now) or it could be the stock strut mounts. They are one-time-use parts and if you did not replace them they will fail on you.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I used GT500 strut mounts so that wont be an issue. The front end had the noise before i lowered it but its gotten worse with the 105 degree days it seems. Sounds like control arms as suggested.

Upper shock bolts, thats an interesting notion. Will keep that in mind for the rear.

Thanks everyone.
Budwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Mine never made a squeak until I lowered it. Then it was squeaking and popping. It was ****ing embarrassing! After I upgraded to Coilovers it all went away. I have never been happier.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #9

Region: Canada
I had to get a new tie rod replaced on my 2012 GT/CS because it was creaking and I got pissed off .....they don't make cars to last anymore !!!, 20 thousand kms on it and it was already going , wtf , when I bought a new car like that , if I throw that amount of money on a car I expect it to be perfect , not start to fall apart after not even 2 years
Danfullarton is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT