MGW - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by George T View Post
There are no instructions, but the video is fairly thorough. It is definitely more challenging to install lying under the car than how it looks in the video when they have it on a lift. If you have access to a lift it will be a lot easier. Also, I used a 3/8 drive ratchet and 11" extension and was able to do the job (rather than the 1/4 drive and 18" extension mentioned in the video.

At about 35 minutes into the video he talks about the adjusting pin. In the video he says "if needed you can adjust it, but that 90% of the installs will not require the adjustment". I talked with him on the phone today and he said he really meant that 90% of cars would need to make the adjustment. 3/4 turn CCW so 1&2 shift smoothly. Just saying...
I wonder why they would ship it out with a setting that was wrong 90% of the time? When I installed mine I did not adjust it. I understood that the adjustment was for the reverse lockout, but not sure how that effects 1 and 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
There are no instructions, but the video is fairly thorough. It is definitely more challenging to install lying under the car than how it looks in the video when they have it on a lift. If you have access to a lift it will be a lot easier. Also, I used a 3/8 drive ratchet and 11" extension and was able to do the job (rather than the 1/4 drive and 18" extension mentioned in the video.

At about 35 minutes into the video he talks about the adjusting pin. In the video he says "if needed you can adjust it, but that 90% of the installs will not require the adjustment". I talked with him on the phone today and he said he really meant that 90% of cars would need to make the adjustment. 3/4 turn CCW so 1&2 shift smoothly. Just saying...
I havent started the project yet but the return spring on mine is definitely wrong... It right in between the 1-2 gate, I guess it's best adjusted when its bolted on the car
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:20 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Each car is slightly different. There NOT send out adjusted wrong! The 2011-12 cars have a slight tolerance difference than the 2013-14 by about 0.2inches. This may not seem like much but it will require the pin to be adjusted slightly. It's not at all hard to do!

---------- Post added at 06:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

I havent started the project yet but the return spring on mine is definitely wrong... It right in between the 1-2 gate, I guess it's best adjusted when its bolted on the car
Don't set anything until you have it in the car. The shift pattern is extremely tight in these tranny's. it will spring return below 3rd and above 4th. The tranny it's self does this aswell as the stock shifter does not have return springs.
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Anyone having trouble with the install video link working?
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I had to use Firefox to get the video to work, didn't work with IE for me.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:02 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Anyone having trouble with the install video link working?
We may have "worn that video out" last night, both playing it on our phones while I was under the car and my son was in the car doing the topside work. It worked out great. By far, the toughest part of the install is the boot. Way more of a ***** to get it seated around the base of the shifter box than what it shows. Other than that, it is pretty straight forward and easy.
Night and Day difference in the shifting though. We used the street rubber, but wish we had removed one of the return spring caps to make the return just a little softer. Would have softened it last night if we didn't have to deal with the boot from hell again. That made the descsion easy that it is jusssst fine.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
We may have "worn that video out" last night, both playing it on our phones while I was under the car and my son was in the car doing the topside work. It worked out great. By far, the toughest part of the install is the boot. Way more of a ***** to get it seated around the base of the shifter box than what it shows. Other than that, it is pretty straight forward and easy.
Night and Day difference in the shifting though. We used the street rubber, but wish we had removed one of the return spring caps to make the return just a little softer. Would have softened it last night if we didn't have to deal with the boot from hell again. That made the descsion easy that it is jusssst fine.
I think you wore it out. Lol I changed the shifter on my 05 a couple times, but I was wanting to see the part on adjusting the MGW. What is fire Fox, never heard of it.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Firefox is an alternative web browser to Internet Explorer.

Mozilla Firefox Web Browser — Free Download — mozilla.org
Old 08-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Pin Adjustment

I made the pin adjustment and it resolved the 1&2 gear problem. Before the adjustment there was a ridge that the shifter caught on going to 1st or 2nd, requiring a slight shifter movement to the right to enable movement up or down to engaged gears.

The boot can be pulled out of the way to access the locking nut (1/2" wrench) and pin adjustment hole. The hole on mine was straight up and down from the factory. It takes a little maneuvering to make the 3/4 CCW turn. A 11" ty wrap is needed to replace the original.

My suggestion for anyone doing the install in the future is to install the handle and knob prior to installing the boot (from hell) and ensuring smooth operation into 1st and 2nd, making the adjustment without the boot in the way is a one minute job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	467.1 KB
ID:	122473  
Old 08-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
My suggestion for anyone doing the install in the future is to install the handle and knob prior to installing the boot (from hell) and ensuring smooth operation into 1st and 2nd, making the adjustment without the boot in the way is a one minute job.
LOL, We made an executive decision to do the 3/4 CCW turn from the start Paid off since it shifts perfectly 1-2 and R. From the video, I thought the boot from hell was hard to get on the tunnel. NOT.... it is hell getting it to seat all around the groove on the bottom of the shifter housing.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #46
MGW

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnus View Post
So i installed my MGW with stock post. My stock billet aluminum ball wont line up when i tighten it down. Will the jam nut eliminate that problem? Also can i buy a 12x1.25 jam nut from the hardware store? MGW wants $10 for a $1.00 nut

you do not need a jam nut to fix your issue.

watch the video about how we explain to make sure the knob lines up and adjust the handle in the gold bracket BEFORE putting the console on. if you tighten the knob and it is crooked, simply break the jam nut loose on the handle that attaches it to the gold part and twist the handle and knob together . then take the ball off , put the console on and then reattach the ball.

george

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftodaro View Post
I wonder why they would ship it out with a setting that was wrong 90% of the time? When I installed mine I did not adjust it. I understood that the adjustment was for the reverse lockout, but not sure how that effects 1 and 2.

thats like saying why a tailor would make suits that dont fit 90 percent of the people.

we cannot set it because there is no setting to go by. EVERY car seems to be a little different due to all the tolerances at ford.

the pin hits the plate when you go for 1-2 and keeps you from going to reverse.

but if the pin is not set out far enough you can actually go slightly PAST the 1-2 in the dead mans zone between 1-2 and reverse.

hope this helps

george

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------
MGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

George, can you post a link to the install video. I've been trying all day to access it on your site with no luck. Thanks
Old 08-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #48
MGW

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
George, can you post a link to the install video. I've been trying all day to access it on your site with no luck. Thanks

this is the page....

MT-82 Shifter Installation Video

george
MGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGW View Post

this is the page....

george
Thank you sir.

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

It takes me to the same page that's not working on my phone. I'll try it on a lap top I guess.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Just checked, the video comes up using IE and Firefox on my PC.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:

this is the page....

george
Love your products man :p
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:

you do not need a jam nut to fix your issue.

watch the video about how we explain to make sure the knob lines up and adjust the handle in the gold bracket BEFORE putting the console on. if you tighten the knob and it is crooked, simply break the jam nut loose on the handle that attaches it to the gold part and twist the handle and knob together . then take the ball off , put the console on and then reattach the ball.

george

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

thats like saying why a tailor would make suits that dont fit 90 percent of the people.

we cannot set it because there is no setting to go by. EVERY car seems to be a little different due to all the tolerances at ford.

the pin hits the plate when you go for 1-2 and keeps you from going to reverse.

but if the pin is not set out far enough you can actually go slightly PAST the 1-2 in the dead mans zone between 1-2 and reverse.

hope this helps

george

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------
thank you George
Great product..👍
Ravnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
Awesome!!! My dad sent me a text telling me it arrived as well, so we got the same batch!! Too tired from work, I'll pick it up tomorrow... I live by myself, but I send all my stuff to my parents house so that I make sure I get it, my dad is retired so he's always home, and I only go to my apt to sleep and do the same crap all over again.... Because Mustang -_-
For the love brother!!! Amen!!! That's funny though...
Old 08-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I made the pin adjustment and it resolved the 1&2 gear problem. Before the adjustment there was a ridge that the shifter caught on going to 1st or 2nd, requiring a slight shifter movement to the right to enable movement up or down to engaged gears.

The boot can be pulled out of the way to access the locking nut (1/2" wrench) and pin adjustment hole. The hole on mine was straight up and down from the factory. It takes a little maneuvering to make the 3/4 CCW turn. A 11" ty wrap is needed to replace the original.

Can you please explain in more detail what the 1 & 2 gear problem is exactly?

I ask because I want to make sure it isn't the same thing I'm feeling when I'm shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Although, my issue goes away as the car warms up and just chalked it up as the transmission fluid issue that the Pony's were having a while back. Yes, I do have the MGW shifter.

Thanks
Old 08-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just checked, the video comes up using IE and Firefox on my PC.
Thanks, finally got it, great job on the video MGW.

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengnd View Post

Can you please explain in more detail what the 1 & 2 gear problem is exactly?

I ask because I want to make sure it isn't the same thing I'm feeling when I'm shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Although, my issue goes away as the car warms up and just chalked it up as the transmission fluid issue that the Pony's were having a while back. Yes, I do have the MGW shifter.

Thanks
The video explains it.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The video explains it.
Yeah, I get that (and watched it), but I want to know exactly what is being felt when driving and shifting. Is it clunky; is it just that hitting a wall and you have to move the shifter to the right to hit 2nd; is it something else?
Old 08-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

The issue I had was "the wall" or "dead zone" as mentioned. When you moved the shifter all the way to the left and try to go into 1st or 2nd there is a slight notch or something requiring a tiny movement to the right to shift into 1st or 2nd. The correct pin adjustment eliminates this issue completely.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The issue I had was "the wall" or "dead zone" as mentioned. When you moved the shifter all the way to the left and try to go into 1st or 2nd there is a slight notch or something requiring a tiny movement to the right to shift into 1st or 2nd. The correct pin adjustment eliminates this issue completely.
Got it! Thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT