MGW - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
MGW

Just got back from vacation and found this bad boy waiting for me. Be jealous! Lol. But in all seriousness, putting it on this weekend so anyone have any suggestions or things to watch out for from experience? Would appreciate any feedback you guys have, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3043691457.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	420.8 KB
ID:	115983  
Brock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Be prepared to smile every time you shift from 2nd to 3rd. Doesn't matter if your driving "nice" or "having fun".....you're gonna love it.
graystone2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Ok I'm jelly
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
MGW has a complete video on their website that I suggest watching first if you have any questions or concerns as to what it takes to complete the installation.
2013_DIB_GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Just got mine in tonight. and in the process of installing just wondering how many people who mainly drive street put the track block in. I am mainly street but a few track weekend per year. so not sure if i want the track rubber or street rubber. for those who have done track how does it do on the street?
Old 06-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
The 4 studs on the side will break easily so make sure you do what they say when they tell you to tight the nuts down just enough so the lock washer flattens. Other than that have fun bro its great!

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftodaro View Post
Just got mine in tonight. and in the process of installing just wondering how many people who mainly drive street put the track block in. I am mainly street but a few track weekend per year. so not sure if i want the track rubber or street rubber. for those who have done track how does it do on the street?
I didn't put the track piece in.. or the heat shield
LovinmyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinmyGT View Post
The 4 studs on the side will break easily so make sure you do what they say when they tell you to tight the nuts down just enough so the lock washer flattens. Other than that have fun bro its great!

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

I didn't put the track piece in.. or the heat shield
thanks for the tip. I think I am going to do the street for now. can always change it out.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

No problem bro, your gonna love it. I don't know what the track piece makes it feel like but it feels great without it I know that! Lol. And are you keepin your old shift knob or did ya get the rally ball from mgw?

Name:	ForumRunner_20130628_182527.png
Views:	550
Size:	439.8 KB
ID:	116003

Here's mine with the jam nut
Old 06-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No problem bro, your gonna love it. I don't know what the track piece makes it feel like but it feels great without it I know that! Lol. And are you keepin your old shift knob or did ya get the rally ball from mgw?

What all did you change to use that knob?
Old 06-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by graystone2013 View Post
Be prepared to smile every time you shift from 2nd to 3rd. Doesn't matter if your driving "nice" or "having fun".....you're gonna love it.
Am I the only person who has a flawless 2nd to 3rd but a ****ty 1st to 2nd?
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock23 View Post

I bought the Mgw shaft I forget what the thread size was but you can get the one that fits their shift balls and the other size fits the stock handle.. which did ya order?

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post

Am I the only person who has a flawless 2nd to 3rd but a ****ty 1st to 2nd?
Its a little tight at first, I had trouble with the 1st to second and reverse, but after I drove it for a couple if weeks its much better, it just needs to be broken in I guess
Old 06-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
How long does it take to install the new shifter? Do you reuse the original shifter boot?
Old 06-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I want one
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftodaro View Post
I put the track rubber in and cant tell you either way because I never used the street one for comparison...but I like it..
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I mentioned earlier about How much the MGW improved the 2-3 shift. Per KARgt13. Yeah my stock unit pretty much sucked 1-2 also. I just can't emphasize enough how much improvement is to be gained by upgrading shifters (my choice MGW). To you guys that are happy with stock unit & don't understand all the fuss. All I can say is really get on it sometime, and you will experience the "wall" that others speak of. No newbie here, been driving manual trans exclusively for over 40 years.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by George T View Post
How long does it take to install the new shifter? Do you reuse the original shifter boot?
Install is 1-2 hrs . I did mine on jack stands by myself. Took me about 3 hrs, with lunch thrown in, but I'm
slow as I go. ha ha. You will use the original console boot but replace the inner boot supplied by MGW.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Ok Got it done. It took me about 2.5 hrs to do it start to finish. had the lap top on the bench and would just start and stop it every step so install was easy and I took my time made sure i liked it as i went.
the hardest part of the install is putting on the new shifter boot. For the guy that asked you do not use the oem rubber boot. the leather one on the top side does not change. It shifts nice and tight.
No comparison to stock. on the stock shifter I had to wait on the shifter to take the gear now its just short and tight, just like i like my women, lol.

I also put in the Street rubber bushing, it is plenty for what I want. very good product with all the heat shielding and insulation. Now the car is the way i want it.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Ftodaro, thanks for the summary. Guess I'll have to get a shifter next...
Old 06-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE="LovinmyGT;1704409"]

I bought the Mgw shaft I forget what the thread size was but you can get the one that fits their shift balls and the other size fits the stock handle.. which did ya order?

I just got the one that fits the stock knob because I have the 401 interior and I really like the stainless knob so I wanted to keep it. But I do really like the look of the black MGW that you have.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock23 View Post

You have to specify the 12x1.75 thread pattern when ordering from mgw if you want their shift knob. Stock thread pattern is 12x1.25
2013_DIB_GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Just got mine installed by George a couple of hours ago, F****** love the shifter, oh and he had this out Infront of the shop
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3433823021.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	386.8 KB
ID:	116096   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1070794158.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	116098  

GT fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:

So i installed my MGW with stock post. My stock billet aluminum ball wont line up when i tighten it down. Will the jam nut eliminate that problem? Also can i buy a 12x1.25 jam nut from the hardware store? MGW wants $10 for a $1.00 nut
Ravnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Yea the jamnut fixes that.. I'm not sure if you can get it at a hardware store or not I don't see why not, but yea I went ahead and bought the Mgw jamnut just so I wouldn't have to deal with it lol.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Shifter Arrived

I order my new shifter MGW four weeks ago, it arrived to day. Looking forward to installing it soon.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

MGW Kit

This is the kit, I ordered the black shift ball too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	732.1 KB
ID:	122117  
Old 08-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by George T View Post
This is the kit, I ordered the black shift ball too.
Awesome!!! My dad sent me a text telling me it arrived as well, so we got the same batch!! Too tired from work, I'll pick it up tomorrow... I live by myself, but I send all my stuff to my parents house so that I make sure I get it, my dad is retired so he's always home, and I only go to my apt to sleep and do the same crap all over again.... Because Mustang -_-
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:53 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

Awesome!!! My dad sent me a text telling me it arrived as well, so we got the same batch!! Too tired from work, I'll pick it up tomorrow... I live by myself, but I send all my stuff to my parents house so that I make sure I get it, my dad is retired so he's always home, and I only go to my apt to sleep and do the same crap all over again.... Because Mustang -_-
+1^ Lol. You gonna get it installed before the show?
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post

+1^ Lol. You gonna get it installed before the show?
-_- probably not, workload this week is pretty insane, I'm gonna try tho... I'd love to be able to bring the Barton with me to the show and sell it to a potential buyer... I usually need a chill Sunday to correctly install something like that
Old 08-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

-_- probably not, workload this week is pretty insane, I'm gonna try tho... I'd love to be able to bring the Barton with me to the show and sell it to a potential buyer... I usually need a chill Sunday to correctly install something like that
Ahh to bad man. At least you have the shifter. Now you'll really be able to bang gears. Can't wait to hear how u like it.
l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Ordered mine today, ships in one week. If I knew it wouldn't take 4 weeks to get it, I would have ordered it months ago.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Ordered mine today, ships in one week. If I knew it wouldn't take 4 weeks to get it, I would have ordered it months ago.
Yea I ordered 4 weeks ago, they ship in batches I guess... I called a week ago and they said they will ship out next week, they didn't even ask my order#
Old 08-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Installed

Got the new shifter installed today. Will need to make an adjustment for 1st/2nd, but otherwise works great. A little harder to do on jack stands than the video where they had a garage lift. Wish I was closer and could have had them install it. Video was very helpful.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	810.9 KB
ID:	122343  
Old 08-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Looks good man
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Finally got my box today, just wondering is there any physical instructions? Or u have to study the video??
Old 08-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Instructions

There are no instructions, but the video is fairly thorough. It is definitely more challenging to install lying under the car than how it looks in the video when they have it on a lift. If you have access to a lift it will be a lot easier. Also, I used a 3/8 drive ratchet and 11" extension and was able to do the job (rather than the 1/4 drive and 18" extension mentioned in the video.

At about 35 minutes into the video he talks about the adjusting pin. In the video he says "if needed you can adjust it, but that 90% of the installs will not require the adjustment". I talked with him on the phone today and he said he really meant that 90% of cars would need to make the adjustment. 3/4 turn CCW so 1&2 shift smoothly. Just saying...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT