ATTN 2014 GT DRIVERS! Transmission question; - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
ATTN 2014 GT DRIVERS! Transmission question;

Hello all, I just bought my 2014 GT LAST THURSDAY and I'm already concerned about noises from the transmission in 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 4th gears. It doesn't happen all of the time, and not loud, but noticeable. Kinda like whining but without the whistle, if that makes any sense. This is my first time to ever own a Ford and yes, I've read all about the past issues they've had, but I'm still very concerned. I'd very much appreciate your comments! Thanks, KM
katynthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #2

Region: Maryland
I also have a 2014 GT Track Pack car, I look at it as its a factory hot rod get use to the ticking, whining, crappy gas mileage, clunky trans, and run the monkey piss out of it! Ps, put some axle backs on it you wont hear all those other noises as much.
Teebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
stop worrying about it. everything is fine
Finkikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
A little whine can be solved with a fluid change to this:

AMSOIL Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90

I recommend this because the factory fill is garbage...
2016 Gt/Cs autowith 3:55', mbrp cat back and a n/a build on the way!...
blackbeast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I had lots of noise from the tranny, whining really bad in 1st and 2nd but since i changed the fluid and the mgw shifter , ZERO NOISE...my tranny is like a different tranny now. as for crappy gas mileage i have to disagree, these are 400 plus hp v8's and they get close to 30mph if you drive normal, i would say thats dam good!!
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
believe me, you'll know it if you got the sick MT-82 whine. It's like a an old straight cut Vortech blower on a Fox body.

Some inconsistent and slight noises are to be expected. This is a budget sports car after all.

As long as it doesn't suddenly get worse, you're probably allright. Says me, who knows what one of these sounds like in its death throes.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well thanks y'all. I'm feeling a little better ha
Old 07-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I have a 14 gt as well. And the noise is only knowtisable at low speeds. That's normal and it doesn't bother me much
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
I had lots of noise from the tranny, whining really bad in 1st and 2nd but since i changed the fluid and the mgw shifter , ZERO NOISE...my tranny is like a different tranny now. as for crappy gas mileage i have to disagree, these are 400 plus hp v8's and they get close to 30mph if you drive normal, i would say thats dam good!!
So after u changed the oil ur whine vanished?
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G View Post
So after u changed the oil ur whine vanished?
i did the fluid and mgw at the same time, i think the mgw took care of the noise, but the fluid that ford put in was very burnt and nasty after 18000 miles, i recomend changing .
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
Old 07-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
i did the fluid and mgw at the same time, i think the mgw took care of the noise, but the fluid that ford put in was very burnt and nasty after 18000 miles, i recomend changing .

Which fluid did you change to?
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

royal purple from am, it really makes a difference, i was the type of guy who thought the tranny fluid was good for 50000, well not in these cars, maybe the rp is good for that but not the factory junk, I seriously thought I had a synchro issue like everybody else, randomly when I shifted to 5th gear it would grind bad about once or twice a week, now since ive changed the fluid its been smooth as silk and thats not the shifter its the royal purple..going on 5 weeks and no issues
Old 07-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I went with redline mtl. easier shifting and no whine.
chefron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks y'all
Old 07-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I've been noticing some noise lately too, mine is only at very low RPM's though. It seems like it's more noticeable than it used to be, but I think I'm just more conscious of it. I may have to try the fluid swap as well. I only have 1200 miles, so I may wait a bit.
DeJoe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Just putting this out there...no real proof of connection but, I did put in a reputable company's manual trans fluid (BG Synchroshift II) and I did have to have the trans rebuilt after that. Since then, I've stuck with the factory QDC fill and feel a little nervous about changing it for anything else, as one can imagine after fighting with Ford for a month to get the trans repaired. So far, no problems with the QDC so, I have little incentive to switch it from that perspective either.

Your car has QDC in it right now. That's been factory fill since late-build 2012 cars.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I'm just not going to worry about it, although it bugs me. The noise is more noticeable when it's hot out (100+ south of Houston) and sometimes it's clunky and hard to shift into sixth on the hwy, but I blame my driving since I've drove a 6-banger camaro for 9yrs before this. The last thing I need are problems from a NEW car that will be pampered, not raced. As long as I have a powertrain warranty, I figure I'm good if worse comes to worst. After all of the research I've done lately, I think I'm just being paranoid and the noise is just part of it. It even says that on Ford web. Thanks again y'all!
Old 07-07-2013, 01:34 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

You do have to drive these cars a bit. Lugging them around "pampering" them makes more noises appear. Load everything up just a touch and a lot of the issues disappear.

And get rid of that stock ****ty shifter bushing and you'll find things work together better. I'd say that's mod #1 on any of these cars.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the input!
Old 07-09-2013, 03:46 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Here's how it goes.

Fords mt-82 transmission is an outdated version of the mt-82. Ford also puts in thicker transmission fluid to lessen the noise coming from it. As far as I remember that's from nhtsa after numerous reports about the transmission being a hazard and their investigation through ford. Those problems vary through 11s to 14s it's not just a certain years that has it. I had a buddy change the fluid on his and it made the sound worse so he switched back. Only way is to put thicker fluid in then what ford has. That's what happens when ford cheap out with China made crap.
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

A short throw would take care of your problem, I'd change the fluid as well.
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezx View Post
Here's how it goes.

Fords mt-82 transmission is an outdated version of the mt-82. Ford also puts in thicker transmission fluid to lessen the noise coming from it. As far as I remember that's from nhtsa after numerous reports about the transmission being a hazard and their investigation through ford. Those problems vary through 11s to 14s it's not just a certain years that has it. I had a buddy change the fluid on his and it made the sound worse so he switched back. Only way is to put thicker fluid in then what ford has. That's what happens when ford cheap out with China made crap.
The assumptions and non-sequiturs in your "conclusions" are tough to accept, even from someone like me who's had a do-over on building the trans from Ford. I'm going to draw some conclusions of my own here.

How is the date of the trans design of any relevance whatsoever? Outdated compared to what? They manufactured T5s for well over a decade and stuck them in Mustangs, for example. There's no newer, better mystery version of this exact transmission out there. This one is still currently for sale to OEMs from Getrag and is the strongest version available.

Ford put QS fluid in this trans most likely because they have put it into manual transmissions for a long time now, across many model lines. I expect they spec'd out for the trans manufacturer what fluid they intended to use when the job went through and that was allright with Getrag.

The NHTSA found no basis for a safety defect in these transmissions (that's its mandate, not quality control). The case being made was that sometimes the trans would lock out of gear, preventing forward drive and thus placing the occupants at risk. The NHTSA could not find clear evidence that this was happening systemically and that the trans was the cause, across the ownership group.

As for the China argument, well, that's pretty much the globalized economy we live in; take your complaints up with management on that one. Based upon what I've seen, it isn't a manufacturing problem. The issue lies with quality control on outsourced parts, not assembly. So, "China-made" is a red herring, at the very least. In my particular case, it was a bearing failure that trashed the trans, not an assembly fault. The multi-gear whines people who have problems report from this trans suggest I am not alone. Who made the bearing? Who knows, wish I could have got it from Ford to look it over but, that isn't how things work.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I've had my 14 GT for 2 months now and trust me the little noises when shifting 1 to 2 is normal, it is a clunky car but nothing is better than making pulls in this little monsters. Also I got the barton 2 post shifter bracket after 2 weeks of owning it and it made shifting the car 1000x's better in my opinion, its a good cheap mod that i'd look into if i was you!
AnthonyK1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I'm just quoting roughly what nhtsa said. I was looking up the transmission problems and that's what they found. I wish I could find that link to where it was exactly. It has nothing to do with the world economy as to why they chose that transmission
Those Getrag are 5g a tranny. The Magnum is 3500 and has no real problems. Ford can easily replace 5.0 with those instead of putting in a new getrag transmission. In some cases ford has done that for 5.0 owners.

There has been reports of gears, synchros, slave cylinders etc I hardly believe that's all from a bearing. I've driven my car all year round even in winter. There is no real excuse on the transmission besides cheaping out and quality made material. I've owned 3 generations of mustangs and driven other muscle cars. They all never had problems like this. My 07 v6 transmission was way better then this one. When the gears grind 1-6 in winter because of the weather being cold just let's you know how cheap the material is. I run a shredder and we've used China made parts for everything and they don't last long at all and switch to german made. China alone uses low grade steel.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm just quoting roughly what nhtsa said. I was looking up the transmission problems and that's what they found. I wish I could find that link to where it was exactly. It has nothing to do with the world economy as to why they chose that transmission
Those Getrag are 5g a tranny. The Magnum is 3500 and has no real problems. Ford can easily replace 5.0 with those instead of putting in a new getrag transmission. In some cases ford has done that for 5.0 owners.

There has been reports of gears, synchros, slave cylinders etc I hardly believe that's all from a bearing. I've driven my car all year round even in winter. There is no real excuse on the transmission besides cheaping out and quality made material. I've owned 3 generations of mustangs and driven other muscle cars. They all never had problems like this. My 07 v6 transmission was way better then this one. When the gears grind 1-6 in winter because of the weather being cold just let's you know how cheap the material is. I run a shredder and we've used China made parts for everything and they don't last long at all and switch to german made. China alone uses low grade steel.
Holy, you're on planet weird. You're quoting only very roughly what the NHTSA said and ignoring their conclusions at the end of the report.

If you really think globalization has no effect on why Ford chose this transmission and to manufacture it in China you're delusional. This trans has been proven in many applications and every speck of money saved in lower labour costs is direct profit to the company; that's globalization writ small scale. That's straight up the deal over even manufacturing in Mexico like Tremec does.

Where do you get your pricing? You can buy a brand new MT-82 from Ford for about 2500 bucks, retail. You think the manufacturer can't get a better deal than you can? The Tremec upgrade is closing in on the 5000 mark, once you add in a good 26 spline clutch needed and the 1-piece DS.

as I said, in my case, I described my whining to the service advisor as caused either by the failure of the input or countershaft bearing and bingo, in my case and my case only, as I said, it was a failed input shaft bearing.

Show me any piece of provable evidence that Ford EVER put a Tremec behind a customer-car 5.0 to replace a blown MT-82. That just isn't how things are done in warranty land.

China manufactures a huge portion of the world's high grade steel as well as its low grade. Your cheapass shredder analogy hardly applies here. They produce 45% of the world's total steel production of all grades. Steel production is the leading industry in China and it doesn't get that way by producing only crap-grade steel. In fact, they produce so freakin' much high grade steel the bottom's nearly out of the market from over-supply.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
^this guy.
I thoroughly enjoy ever post you write.
You need your own blog or sticky on here.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Where do I get my pricing? From the dealer. They've shown me the bill for it. I'm not sure if it's more expensive with shipping etc in canada but when they put the new transmission they showed me the price and it was 5000 to get from a province beside where I live. From what I've looked online I've found new magnum xls for 3500 in the states.

As for my shredder analogy np it's does apply here as we've used every kind of China made steel for this shredder and it's all failed. Even their top steel. They are the top steel manufacturer which is produced on a massive scale but that also means a lot of defects to just like anything else out there that's produced on a massive scale.

As for showing evidence about the tremec being thrown into other people's vehicles for warranty I have no solid proof but people on here have claimed that they have had it done whether it's true or not I have no idea. Maybe it did happen and the dealer ate the bill who knows but I've only read of it happening after going through 2 mt-82s or more on one vehicle.

As I have said this transmission is poorly made considering all the problems it's had so far. Not just mechanical but in all seasons especially in winter. I have never had a transmission act up and run so poorly in winter and it's not the synchros or gears themselves cause the problem in winter. I've never experienced a single problem with any other manual transmission in newer vehicles and I have owned plenty of newer vehicles and because of the transmission alone I am going to be trading my 5.0 for a 13 shelby. I've had this transmission replaced once and it's the same problem carrying into my 2nd one.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Where do I get my pricing? From the dealer. They've shown me the bill for it. I'm not sure if it's more expensive with shipping etc in canada but when they put the new transmission they showed me the price and it was 5000 to get from a province beside where I live. From what I've looked online I've found new magnum xls for 3500 in the states.

As for my shredder analogy np it's does apply here as we've used every kind of China made steel for this shredder and it's all failed. Even their top steel. They are the top steel manufacturer which is produced on a massive scale but that also means a lot of defects to just like anything else out there that's produced on a massive scale.

As for showing evidence about the tremec being thrown into other people's vehicles for warranty I have no solid proof but people on here have claimed that they have had it done whether it's true or not I have no idea. Maybe it did happen and the dealer ate the bill who knows but I've only read of it happening after going through 2 mt-82s or more on one vehicle.

As I have said this transmission is poorly made considering all the problems it's had so far. Not just mechanical but in all seasons especially in winter. I have never had a transmission act up and run so poorly in winter and it's not the synchros or gears themselves cause the problem in winter. I've never experienced a single problem with any other manual transmission in newer vehicles and I have owned plenty of newer vehicles and because of the transmission alone I am going to be trading my 5.0 for a 13 shelby. I've had this transmission replaced once and it's the same problem carrying into my 2nd one.
Okay, I'm going to take one more crack at this. I really am trying to help you see reality for what it is. It's not an attack; I just don't see the world the way you do and I have evidence to back up my claims.

The dealer, when replacing your transmission has a whole other level of pricing that does not reflect retail. They replaced one Brembo wheel on my car for peeling paint and it was a $900 bill, internally, for this wheel. Similarly, a long time ago, in about 1995, I had a wiring fault in a '90 5.0 to fix, that burned one of the bean-bag chairs a bit. From Ford, through insurance, that seat was nearly 900 bucks as well; it wasn't even a GT seat and had no power options.

The competitive retail marketplace precludes dealer, insurance and internal pricing. Have you ever noticed Tousley can whup *** on dealer pricing every time? It's because these internal prices aren't reflective of market reality.

Here's Tousley's catalog price for an MT-82, $2500 bucks, like I said:

2012 FORD MUSTANG Parts - AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake Parts (previously Tousley Ford Parts)

Yep, no doubt some hassles with shipping and core charges but, still, that's the price.

I'll remind you that Tremec kits come without the required clutch and driveshaft, minimum. So, about 3500 is right...for the trans, bh, bolts and nuts, to attach it to the engine, sure. You still need to purchase the 700 dollar driveshaft and a clutch going anywhere from 300-1000 dollars, plus a shifter and upgraded slave cylinder are good choices, too. Here's the link to JPC's kit. See that 4500 is the minimum price and options can jack that up to mid-6K, for a complete kit:

TREMEC MAGNUM XL S197 CONVERSION COMPLETE KIT (also Includes Driveshaft,Clutch & Flywheel options) - Justin's Performance Center

JPC is a market leader in this area.

Plus, the gearing options suck on the Tremec for this engine, unless you run 4.30:1 gears in the back or are FI.

I'm not going any further discussing your shredder, it's just a ridiculous discussion point and a waste of breath.

As for the evidence supporting MT82s being replaced by Tremecs...you know that people put things that aren't true on the internet all the time, right? There's no way in hell Ford authorized a warranty replacement for anything that was not stock to the vehicle. I'll happily eat crow on this one if anyone can prove to me they did this.

The MT82 transmission, in general, is actually a pretty sound design. Tremecs have problems too, if you look around the internet, for what that's worth. Look up Shelby lists and see complaints about rough shifting, grinding, etc. Familiar? However, to globally damn them, or the MT82, or to draw conclusions that skirt dangerously close to outright racism because some have problems, is an error in logic. It also misses the fact that the vast majority display no problems at all.

I remind you, I am on transmission #2 as well; I'm no MT-82 fanboi. I am not, however, drawing spurious global conclusions about every MT82 the way you are. In my case, this is a mass produced object and **** happened. Ford finally owned up and fixed it. I sure didn't enjoy the process but, it's ok now. Since, the trans has made oh, what, 75+ passes on slicks at the dragstrip without issues of any kind that weren't caused by clumsy handing of the shifting on my part. The more time passes, the irritation over the warranty claim fades and a more realistic assessment of this transmission emerges. It's not without faults but, it's by far the best manual trans ever put in a Mustang GT. I've had 4 Mustangs, 3 of them manuals, spanning 40+ years of development, plus I've worked on dozens of these so, I feel reasonably equipped to judge.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post

Okay, I'm going to take one more crack at this. I really am trying to help you see reality for what it is. It's not an attack; I just don't see the world the way you do and I have evidence to back up my claims.

The dealer, when replacing your transmission has a whole other level of pricing that does not reflect retail. They replaced one Brembo wheel on my car for peeling paint and it was a $900 bill, internally, for this wheel. Similarly, a long time ago, in about 1995, I had a wiring fault in a '90 5.0 to fix, that burned one of the bean-bag chairs a bit. From Ford, through insurance, that seat was nearly 900 bucks as well; it wasn't even a GT seat and had no power options.

The competitive retail marketplace precludes dealer, insurance and internal pricing. Have you ever noticed Tousley can whup *** on dealer pricing every time? It's because these internal prices aren't reflective of market reality.

Here's Tousley's catalog price for an MT-82, $2500 bucks, like I said:

2012 FORD MUSTANG Parts - AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake Parts (previously Tousley Ford Parts)

Yep, no doubt some hassles with shipping and core charges but, still, that's the price.

I'll remind you that Tremec kits come without the required clutch and driveshaft, minimum. So, about 3500 is right...for the trans, bh, bolts and nuts, to attach it to the engine, sure. You still need to purchase the 700 dollar driveshaft and a clutch going anywhere from 300-1000 dollars, plus a shifter and upgraded slave cylinder are good choices, too. Here's the link to JPC's kit. See that 4500 is the minimum price and options can jack that up to mid-6K, for a complete kit:

TREMEC MAGNUM XL S197 CONVERSION COMPLETE KIT (also Includes Driveshaft,Clutch & Flywheel options) - Justin's Performance Center

JPC is a market leader in this area.

Plus, the gearing options suck on the Tremec for this engine, unless you run 4.30:1 gears in the back or are FI.

I'm not going any further discussing your shredder, it's just a ridiculous discussion point and a waste of breath.

As for the evidence supporting MT82s being replaced by Tremecs...you know that people put things that aren't true on the internet all the time, right? There's no way in hell Ford authorized a warranty replacement for anything that was not stock to the vehicle. I'll happily eat crow on this one if anyone can prove to me they did this.

The MT82 transmission, in general, is actually a pretty sound design. Tremecs have problems too, if you look around the internet, for what that's worth. Look up Shelby lists and see complaints about rough shifting, grinding, etc. Familiar? However, to globally damn them, or the MT82, or to draw conclusions that skirt dangerously close to outright racism because some have problems, is an error in logic. It also misses the fact that the vast majority display no problems at all.

I remind you, I am on transmission #2 as well; I'm no MT-82 fanboi. I am not, however, drawing spurious global conclusions about every MT82 the way you are. In my case, this is a mass produced object and **** happened. Ford finally owned up and fixed it. I sure didn't enjoy the process but, it's ok now. Since, the trans has made oh, what, 75+ passes on slicks at the dragstrip without issues of any kind that weren't caused by clumsy handing of the shifting on my part. The more time passes, the irritation over the warranty claim fades and a more realistic assessment of this transmission emerges. It's not without faults but, it's by far the best manual trans ever put in a Mustang GT. I've had 4 Mustangs, 3 of them manuals, spanning 40+ years of development, plus I've worked on dozens of these so, I feel reasonably equipped to judge.
Damn. Bravo sir, +1
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

....oh and, btw, I'm actually a Canadian, too so, I understand our market strengths and shortcomings quite well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT