Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Cant power shift anymore

5K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  mnl1121 
#1 ·
Well I've had the car for almost 3 months, 2300 miles on it, and I noticed the other night, that if I try to power shift it now, it grinds second gear, bad. It wont let me power shift everytime I try now it grinds. She didnt do this to me a week ago, or when I got her. What I mean by power shift is when you are at WOT push clutch in, slam her into second let clutch out. I have to now be at WOT let off the gas, by conciderably slower, shift it into gear then let off. Im just not real sure what happened. Needless to say Ill be going to the dealer as soon as I can make it in. The mods are CAI, tune, and magnaflow welded in place of stock mufflers. I also deleted the clutch assistor spring so the pedal wouldnt stick as much, although that doesnt seem to help a whole lot. Any quick ideas?

#3 ·
Power shifting is not good for your tranny the Mt-82 especially doesn't like power shifting, you modded your car which voided the warranty, and you grinded 2nd gear probably numerous times trying to find out why your car wont power shift anymore... Your pretty much ****ed kid try and be a little nicer to your next transmission.

#4 ·
You could have done without the last part of your post. I understand that power shifting these cars shouldnt be done, often at least, but we all do it. I am not worried about it, because it never really shifted like I thought a new car should so its been needing to go in for a while. My mods have nothing to do with the tranny anyways. If it was an auto sure, but not the mt82

#10 ·
mine used to make noise and grind some, but the mgw took care of that and a royal purple fluid change made a world of difference, I thought I was having a synchro issue so a last ditch effort i changed the fluid and since then not one missed gear or no grinding whatso ever

#12 ·
a few points, i do not know what mods you have done but the mod will likely not be an issue with warranty. You may have issues if they determine its abuse but Its not likely that they can tear down the tranny and determine definitively that the problem was abuse. I do not know this for sure but It would not stop me from taking it to the dealer and have them give you there opinion.

Mods will not void your warranty unless the failed part is the mod you put it. if you did do a shifter and the shifter fails ford is not going to help you. If you put a shifter on and the transmission has a problem unrelated to the shifter then it has no bearing on the transmission warranty.

Now the second part of question, if you did not put an MGW shifter on that would be then next thing i would do. it may save it or save it from happening to the next box you put in there. to help you diagnose you problem. does it happen in every gear or just a few?

Does it happen all the time or just at the red line shifts?

Try shifting with the motor off, if it shifts fine with the engine off its the syncros, may have cracked one or two during your bore shifting.

Lastly. If you beat the crap our of your car you have to expect to pay the maintenance bills.

#17 ·
I only have the problem in 3rd gear 2nd and 4th gear is butter with the stock shifter. I just received My Barton 2post and shifter 'yes I know I should got the mgw' but it was there so I got it from what I seen no one had a problem with the 2post and the Shifter..

Anyway I hope this fixes the 3rd gear problem if not then I know it's the synchro... Anyways what do you guys recommend what type of clutch/tranny fluid?

#21 ·
I have heard good things about Fords synthetic trans fluid. you can always go to Red Line racing oils or royal purple. I think if you go with a quality mfg you cannot be to far off. I have used Redline MT- 85 and 90 I think MTL itself is a tic to thin.

#22 ·
royal purple, fords fluid is crap, i dont know why some of us guys on here have first hand experience with products but other guys have opinions on what they hear or read about?? I dont get it? I know cars and I know when something works, and im not trying to sell rp, just giving people advice on what works, rp, redline amsoil all would be good, but if you saw the fluid that i took out of the tranny, , Fords fluid, you wouldnt think twice about putting something good in there, ...

#23 ·
basing your opinion on the color of the fluid you are taking out of a transmission is not exactly science, unless you sent it out for analysis. When it comes to motor oils and transmission oils, most of what you hear on forums is nothing more than opinions, not facts. I can tell you that i have changed oil out of my transmissions at least 15 times per year in the racing environment and the color of the oil when spent looks spent no matter whose oil it is.
Going with brand name is safe. I have not used fords Syn oil but have heard its good form someone I know who is on his game.
But if you like RP or Red line its all good to go. But that is just my opinion, i could be wrong.

#24 ·
It's not a race car, so you really should let off the gas momentarily prior to shifting. Keeping the pedal nailed and then slamming clutch and gear is a really stupid thing to do to a $35,000 car that is NOT a racecar.

I didn't power shift and ran in the 12's at the track. So power shifting is not gaining you anything significant other than abnormal wear and tear on the drive train. Ask any real racecar driver and the key to speed is being smooth and quick. I haven't had any issues with my MT82 other than needing a moments hesitation longer between the 2-3 shift. This allows the torque to dissipate on the drivetrain long enough to allow safe engagement of 3rd gear. I love my car and it's fun to drive quick, but you can do it without putting unnecessary wear on the components.

#25 ·
It's not a race car, so you really should let off the gas momentarily prior to shifting. Keeping the pedal nailed and then slamming clutch and gear is a really stupid thing to do to a $35,000 car that is NOT a racecar.

I didn't power shift and ran in the 12's at the track. So power shifting is not gaining you anything significant other than abnormal wear and tear on the drive train. Ask any real racecar driver and the key to speed is being smooth and quick. I haven't had any issues with my MT82 other than needing a moments hesitation longer between the 2-3 shift. This allows the torque to dissipate on the drivetrain long enough to allow safe engagement of 3rd gear. I love my car and it's fun to drive quick, but you can do it without putting unnecessary wear on the components.
Unless you're running an F1 transmission in that beast, let off the gas, push in the clutch, shift, and your transmission and clutch will love you for the rest of its existence.

#30 ·
sharper shifts

I did the Barton Shift bracket ($65 or so) and the Trans bushing insert ($ 65ish) and both went in in 1 hours tops. It REALLY made a nice difference with the sloppy factory stuff. Ford did the softer bushings for civilized drivers, which we are not! :) Look these things up and do it! You will thank me in the morning.

#34 ·
Lol!!

#35 ·
Year old thread resurrection. Gotta love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.