Cant power shift anymore - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Cant power shift anymore

Well I've had the car for almost 3 months, 2300 miles on it, and I noticed the other night, that if I try to power shift it now, it grinds second gear, bad. It wont let me power shift everytime I try now it grinds. She didnt do this to me a week ago, or when I got her. What I mean by power shift is when you are at WOT push clutch in, slam her into second let clutch out. I have to now be at WOT let off the gas, by conciderably slower, shift it into gear then let off. Im just not real sure what happened. Needless to say Ill be going to the dealer as soon as I can make it in. The mods are CAI, tune, and magnaflow welded in place of stock mufflers. I also deleted the clutch assistor spring so the pedal wouldnt stick as much, although that doesnt seem to help a whole lot. Any quick ideas?
86 muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 muscle View Post
Well I've had the car for almost 3 months, 2300 miles on it, and I noticed the other night, that if I try to power shift it now, it grinds second gear, bad. It wont let me power shift everytime I try now it grinds. She didnt do this to me a week ago, or when I got her. What I mean by power shift is when you are at WOT push clutch in, slam her into second let clutch out. I have to now be at WOT let off the gas, by conciderably slower, shift it into gear then let off. Im just not real sure what happened. Needless to say Ill be going to the dealer as soon as I can make it in. The mods are CAI, tune, and magnaflow welded in place of stock mufflers. I also deleted the clutch assistor spring so the pedal wouldnt stick as much, although that doesnt seem to help a whole lot. Any quick ideas?
Power shifting is not good for your transmission at all. That's probably why it's messing up to begin with. Take it to the dealer and get them to look at it
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Power shifting is not good for your tranny the Mt-82 especially doesn't like power shifting, you modded your car which voided the warranty, and you grinded 2nd gear probably numerous times trying to find out why your car wont power shift anymore... Your pretty much ****ed kid try and be a little nicer to your next transmission.
Eatmorice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatmorice View Post
Power shifting is not good for your tranny the Mt-82 especially doesn't like power shifting, you modded your car which voided the warranty, and you grinded 2nd gear probably numerous times trying to find out why your car wont power shift anymore... Your pretty much ****ed kid try and be a little nicer to your next transmission.
You could have done without the last part of your post. I understand that power shifting these cars shouldnt be done, often at least, but we all do it. I am not worried about it, because it never really shifted like I thought a new car should so its been needing to go in for a while. My mods have nothing to do with the tranny anyways. If it was an auto sure, but not the mt82
Old 07-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Buy an auto next time.
Kona Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You could have done without the last part of your post. I understand that power shifting these cars shouldnt be done, often at least, but we all do it. I am not worried about it, because it never really shifted like I thought a new car should so its been needing to go in for a while. My mods have nothing to do with the tranny anyways. If it was an auto sure, but not the mt82
I know your mods have nothing to do with your transmission but unless your dealer is generous your "Powertrain Warranty" (Engine, transmission, and rear-end) has been voided. And if that doesn't raise any red flags they can easily see you abused your car when they tear down your transmission if they decided to further investigate.

I sincerely wish you the best sorry if I came off a little ******y.
Eatmorice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:

Hey bro. Mine does the same thing. It's the manual mt82. That's why alot of other people get the short throws because it eliminates it. I hate it too man, especially when I'm throwin down with another person and I grind my gears. It's embarrassing. You just gotta learn to ease it in their. No slamming gears lol best of luck brother!
United States Air Force
Bonnie12V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie12V6 View Post
Hey bro. Mine does the same thing. It's the manual mt82. That's why alot of other people get the short throws because it eliminates it. I hate it too man, especially when I'm throwin down with another person and I grind my gears. It's embarrassing. You just gotta learn to ease it in their. No slamming gears lol best of luck brother!
Even when I'm easing it in there its notchy, always has been.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
MGW shifter helps a lot!!!! I've yet to find an issue with it.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

mine used to make noise and grind some, but the mgw took care of that and a royal purple fluid change made a world of difference, I thought I was having a synchro issue so a last ditch effort i changed the fluid and since then not one missed gear or no grinding whatso ever
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
mine used to make noise and grind some, but the mgw took care of that and a royal purple fluid change made a world of difference, I thought I was having a synchro issue so a last ditch effort i changed the fluid and since then not one missed gear or no grinding whatso ever
Can/do you power shift?
Old 07-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
a few points, i do not know what mods you have done but the mod will likely not be an issue with warranty. You may have issues if they determine its abuse but Its not likely that they can tear down the tranny and determine definitively that the problem was abuse. I do not know this for sure but It would not stop me from taking it to the dealer and have them give you there opinion.

Mods will not void your warranty unless the failed part is the mod you put it. if you did do a shifter and the shifter fails ford is not going to help you. If you put a shifter on and the transmission has a problem unrelated to the shifter then it has no bearing on the transmission warranty.

Now the second part of question, if you did not put an MGW shifter on that would be then next thing i would do. it may save it or save it from happening to the next box you put in there. to help you diagnose you problem. does it happen in every gear or just a few?

Does it happen all the time or just at the red line shifts?

Try shifting with the motor off, if it shifts fine with the engine off its the syncros, may have cracked one or two during your bore shifting.

Lastly. If you beat the crap our of your car you have to expect to pay the maintenance bills.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Can/do you power shift?
That's the first thing I did as I pulled out of MGW
Old 07-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can/do you power shift?
yeah I can power shift, but all im really saying is the fluid in these tranny's gets really bad quick, i couldnt believe how bad mine was after 18000 miles, if you havent changed it, I would highly recommend doing it....

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

and with a 10.00 pump it takes about ten minutes to change
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
Old 07-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatmorice View Post
I know your mods have nothing to do with your transmission but unless your dealer is generous your "Powertrain Warranty" (Engine, transmission, and rear-end) has been voided. And if that doesn't raise any red flags they can easily see you abused your car when they tear down your transmission if they decided to further investigate.

I sincerely wish you the best sorry if I came off a little ******y.
I'd be leery to point my finger at his mods... They've got to prove the mods caused the transmission to grind. They'll also have to prove that he was abusing his transmission. Powershifting is hard on synchros, but synchros are also known to go bad in transmission all the time, so you may get lucky!

Don't tell them you weren't letting off the gas while slamming in gears!
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:09 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post

That's the first thing I did as I pulled out of MGW
Lmfao bro u sound like a salesman I see you on every shifter related post about that MGW haaha
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:50 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I only have the problem in 3rd gear 2nd and 4th gear is butter with the stock shifter. I just received My Barton 2post and shifter 'yes I know I should got the mgw' but it was there so I got it from what I seen no one had a problem with the 2post and the Shifter..

Anyway I hope this fixes the 3rd gear problem if not then I know it's the synchro... Anyways what do you guys recommend what type of clutch/tranny fluid?
GypsyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:58 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
If your on the stock shifter it will hurt your transmission bc it doesn't have the guards on it like aftermarket shifters
Old 07-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Lmfao bro u sound like a salesman I see you on every shifter related post about that MGW haaha
I really should get commission for all the shifters that have been sold on here lol I'm kidding. But I'm just like you man, I praise great products and MGW makes an outstanding product. I'm not bashing Barton, I'm just simply stating that the MGW is better.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the input, I'll order a nice shifter next check. It's always been a bit notchy, 2nd and 3rd. Even sitting still but I'll get someone to take it in for me as soon as I can.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyChris View Post
I only have the problem in 3rd gear 2nd and 4th gear is butter with the stock shifter. I just received My Barton 2post and shifter 'yes I know I should got the mgw' but it was there so I got it from what I seen no one had a problem with the 2post and the Shifter..

Anyway I hope this fixes the 3rd gear problem if not then I know it's the synchro... Anyways what do you guys recommend what type of clutch/tranny fluid?
I have heard good things about Fords synthetic trans fluid. you can always go to Red Line racing oils or royal purple. I think if you go with a quality mfg you cannot be to far off. I have used Redline MT- 85 and 90 I think MTL itself is a tic to thin.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

royal purple, fords fluid is crap, i dont know why some of us guys on here have first hand experience with products but other guys have opinions on what they hear or read about?? I dont get it? I know cars and I know when something works, and im not trying to sell rp, just giving people advice on what works, rp, redline amsoil all would be good, but if you saw the fluid that i took out of the tranny, , Fords fluid, you wouldnt think twice about putting something good in there, ...
Old 07-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
royal purple, fords fluid is crap, i dont know why some of us guys on here have first hand experience with products but other guys have opinions on what they hear or read about?? I dont get it? I know cars and I know when something works, and im not trying to sell rp, just giving people advice on what works, rp, redline amsoil all would be good, but if you saw the fluid that i took out of the tranny, , Fords fluid, you wouldnt think twice about putting something good in there, ...
basing your opinion on the color of the fluid you are taking out of a transmission is not exactly science, unless you sent it out for analysis. When it comes to motor oils and transmission oils, most of what you hear on forums is nothing more than opinions, not facts. I can tell you that i have changed oil out of my transmissions at least 15 times per year in the racing environment and the color of the oil when spent looks spent no matter whose oil it is.
Going with brand name is safe. I have not used fords Syn oil but have heard its good form someone I know who is on his game.
But if you like RP or Red line its all good to go. But that is just my opinion, i could be wrong.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
It's not a race car, so you really should let off the gas momentarily prior to shifting. Keeping the pedal nailed and then slamming clutch and gear is a really stupid thing to do to a $35,000 car that is NOT a racecar.

I didn't power shift and ran in the 12's at the track. So power shifting is not gaining you anything significant other than abnormal wear and tear on the drive train. Ask any real racecar driver and the key to speed is being smooth and quick. I haven't had any issues with my MT82 other than needing a moments hesitation longer between the 2-3 shift. This allows the torque to dissipate on the drivetrain long enough to allow safe engagement of 3rd gear. I love my car and it's fun to drive quick, but you can do it without putting unnecessary wear on the components.
Davey13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey13GT View Post
It's not a race car, so you really should let off the gas momentarily prior to shifting. Keeping the pedal nailed and then slamming clutch and gear is a really stupid thing to do to a $35,000 car that is NOT a racecar.

I didn't power shift and ran in the 12's at the track. So power shifting is not gaining you anything significant other than abnormal wear and tear on the drive train. Ask any real racecar driver and the key to speed is being smooth and quick. I haven't had any issues with my MT82 other than needing a moments hesitation longer between the 2-3 shift. This allows the torque to dissipate on the drivetrain long enough to allow safe engagement of 3rd gear. I love my car and it's fun to drive quick, but you can do it without putting unnecessary wear on the components.
Unless you're running an F1 transmission in that beast, let off the gas, push in the clutch, shift, and your transmission and clutch will love you for the rest of its existence.
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey13GT View Post

Bro, iam not trying to sound like an *** but yes power shifting the car does give you a better e.t.

When you are racing banging thru the gears everytime you let off the gas to shift your car takes a nose dive. When power shifting the nose of the car stays up at all times.

Put a race together same car same mods one driver powershifts one guy doesn't who you think will win?
GypsyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I guess it comes down to a choice. Which is bigger? A mans ego or his wallet.
mongo1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyChris View Post

Bro, iam not trying to sound like an *** but yes power shifting the car does give you a better e.t.

When you are racing banging thru the gears everytime you let off the gas to shift your car takes a nose dive. When power shifting the nose of the car stays up at all times.

Put a race together same car same mods one driver powershifts one guy doesn't who you think will win?
Bro, I wasn't born yesterday. Is .1 in a 1/4 that much of a deal for a daily driver street car?

Yea, power shifting gears on a race track will get .01 or maybe even .10, but it's not worth destroying my transmission.
Davey13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Try switching to redline mtl. Better quality fluid than ford. Makes shifting much smoother
chefron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #30

Region: Michigan
sharper shifts

I did the Barton Shift bracket ($65 or so) and the Trans bushing insert ($ 65ish) and both went in in 1 hours tops. It REALLY made a nice difference with the sloppy factory stuff. Ford did the softer bushings for civilized drivers, which we are not! Look these things up and do it! You will thank me in the morning.
kazoodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I can't believe you're abusing your tranny and then wondering why it grinds. Good luck with the warranty repair. Most dealers won't fix it for free.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
If i were your transmission, i would scream at you too.... just saying.

Past: 13 V6, 11 MCA V6, 89 GT, 88 GT, 04 V6
13BKV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Shifter

I have a Barton short throw with bracket haven't had a moments trouble yes I have power shifted from 1st to 4th several times never missed a beat. I do not power shift as a practice as no matter how good you are it is still abusive to the equipment.
Paradone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BKV6 View Post
If i were your transmission, i would scream at you too.... just saying.
Lol!!
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Year old thread resurrection. Gotta love it.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT