Cai's - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Cai's

Guys I went to my service manager at my dealership he said something about not getting an after market cold air system. He said something about something melting. Can anyone shed some light on this subject.
sean5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
First I've heard about a CAI or its components melting. I know it gets scalding hot under our hoods in the summertime, but I doubt any of the premium CAIs are being deformed by normal engine bay heat, or I hope that's the case. An Airaid CAI (from AM) will be in my hot little hands today.
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss View Post
First I've heard about a CAI or its components melting. I know it gets scalding hot under our hoods in the summertime, but I doubt any of the premium CAIs are being deformed by normal engine bay heat, or I hope that's the case. An Airaid CAI (from AM) will be in my hot little hands today.
See I was confused too but this guy is the lead at the dealership I better investigate some more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I haven't heard of any problems with them melting, but i know a few people have had problems with water getting to the filter.
Unless your getting a tune to go with it, IMO i would just skip the cai altogether.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I read on another forum about this and the concern was about intakes made of PVC. No specific brands were mentioned that were made of PVC, although the earlier versions of days gone by may have been. So, I wouldn't worry about melting. If any exists (under normal engine bay heat), I'm sure the forums would be riddled with complaints about their expensive CAIs melting.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #6

Region: Florida
I have not heard of any CAI melting. I would go to another dealership and talk to them. I always get a second opinion.
wolfe1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I read on another forum about this and the concern was about intakes made of PVC. No specific brands were mentioned that were made of PVC, although the earlier versions of days gone by may have been. So, I wouldn't worry about melting. If any exists (under normal engine bay heat), I'm sure the forums would be riddled with complaints about their expensive CAIs melting.
That makes alot of sense! Thanks guys
Old 07-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

If you have a 13 the stock box intake is better than the bs 300 intakes
jaredGTneelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
I haven't heard of any problems with them melting, but i know a few people have had problems with water getting to the filter.
Unless your getting a tune to go with it, IMO i would just skip the cai altogether.
+1

Half the CAI's out there need tunes because those Companys know that without a tune its not worth it. BBK, Airaid with the MVT, AEM, and C&L (pretty sure about this one) don't require tunes, but you're getting 10 hp tops from manufacturer claims...so who knows what that translates into real world numbers.
2013_DIB_GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I've never heard of any melting either. I know I saw a factory equipt 2013 Shelby 500 w/ one on it in the showroom--I think it was an Airaid system.
dlstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 12 5.0 with an airaid and no melting been on the car a year in florida?
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

He said only use ford racing cai's that was what the big deal was. And I know what you're gonna say he works for ford but no that's not it I'm still wondering tho. I haven't found anything about it yet so I guess it isn't a problem so I guess I'll start shopping
Old 07-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean5.0 View Post
He said only use ford racing cai's that was what the big deal was. And I know what you're gonna say he works for ford but no that's not it I'm still wondering tho. I haven't found anything about it yet so I guess it isn't a problem so I guess I'll start shopping
The guy sounds like he has no idea what hes talking about. Either that or hes trying to push FRPP products for some reason. Like i said earlier though, unless you're gonna get a tune with it, i would just skip it for now. Unless you want it strictly for looks/sounds purposes.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 07-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
The guy sounds like he has no idea what hes talking about. Either that or hes trying to push FRPP products for some reason. Like i said earlier though, unless you're gonna get a tune with it, i would just skip it for now. Unless you want it strictly for looks/sounds purposes.
Agreed, if you plan on modding your car , like longtubes and orxp, and whatever else get the cai with the tune, you will need it and with everything else it does help, but if cai is all your doing, id say put your money some where else...
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post

Agreed, if you plan on modding your car , like longtubes and orxp, and whatever else get the cai with the tune, you will need it and with everything else it does help, but if cai is all your doing, id say put your money some where else...
Oh I'm getting orxp and long tubes so thanks!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
He may be talking about the plastic plate that goes around the cold air intake filter. I have the JLT cai, and it barely rub a corner of the cylinder head. Due to that, there is a SLIGHT smudge where you can see the plastic was melted, but certainly not something to be concerned about. It's just plastic.
striker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean5.0 View Post
I installed my new Airaid CAI today. In my opinion, it's made from heavier and more durable materials than the OEM model. I'd prefer it had a bulb type seal to insulate the filter from engine bay heat but, I'd say it will form to fit the box corner eventually.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

better to get a cai that needs a tune, bigger tube so the maf needs to be tuned,that is where the extra power will come from. Only problem with a cai when in traffic my iat got up to 150*,especially with the a/c on.
chefron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefron50 View Post
better to get a cai that needs a tune, bigger tube so the maf needs to be tuned,that is where the extra power will come from. Only problem with a cai when in traffic my iat got up to 150*,especially with the a/c on.
Not true. The air raid comes with the Modular Venturi tube (MVT) which means it doesn't require a tune, but it can be removed later on if you end up getting a tune. The size of the tube itself has nothing to do with the need of the tune. Its the MVT. If your car takes in more air, its the MAF sensors job to read that, and add more fuel. Think about it. You take in more air at 65 mph, than 25 mph right?
Old 08-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #20

Quote:
I installed my new Airaid CAI today. In my opinion, it's made from heavier and more durable materials than the OEM model. I'd prefer it had a bulb type seal to insulate the filter from engine bay heat but, I'd say it will form to fit the box corner eventually.
The have more thank one model for 5.0 motors, which one did you get and why?

Thanks
Motorin Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT