Terrible DRONE!!!! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Yeah, I like to remember the good old days, too, then it all comes back to me in stark clarity:

Blowouts, vapour lock, run on, no brakes, wet points, bad tires, no suspension, no chassis strength, huge but gutless engines, faulty analog emissions control, rust, bad wipers, worse heaters, hit or miss AC, electrical gremlins, weak headlights, no gauges, no options included unless you paid for each and every one, did I already say rust? Etc. etc.

These are the good old days, in case nobody noticed.
Lmao
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Calm down guy. I wasnt talking about with any particular muffler. Just in general the sound of an x vs h pipe. An x pipe will typically rasp more then an h pipe. Its a fact. Some mufflers, like the GT500s will limit that more than others.

If you notice his question, he asked what the sound difference was. Not what do GT500s in particular sound like with each. In fact i even recommended he goes with gt500s if hes getting rid of the cats for that very reason.
I wasnt freaking out I just wanted him to know that the 500's are the only muffler that i know of that doesnt get raspy when you add longtubes or orxp or anything for that matter, and I know you were recommending them, I wish I knew more about them when I first bought exhaust parts, i had to do the trial and era method to get the sound I wamted, which is the sound alot of people are looking for, some people like the rasp crap but I hate it..
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wf2491 View Post
Thanks to everyone for your inputs. I guess that I will have to bite the bullit and ! I will never make that mistake again. I think that I am going to look into the GT500s.
So, how much do you want for the Pypes?
BatmanUriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I had lots of problems with my Flowmasters once I got rid of the cats. After a year I got GT500's on it and no complaints now. It's loud once I get the RPM's up there, but not raspy or metallic/popping sounding.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
About 8 months ago I installed a set of Pypes "Pype Bombs" axle back exhaust. To me they sound great for local driving. We just returned from a 2k mile driving vacation and still have headaches from the drone! I recently learned about the sound tube and removed it hoping that it was the problem. Although I like it better without the tube, I don't think that it contributed to the drone. I hate to trash a fairly new set of exhaust and was curious if anyone knows of any modification tricks I can do to them to help with the drone? I would appreciate any input. Thanks
Helmholtz resonators. Google it. It's not common at all, but it solves the problem with physics. Will get rid of drone in any exhaust, as long as whoever makes the pipes does the math correctly.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Yeah, I like to remember the good old days, too, then it all comes back to me in stark clarity:

Blowouts, vapour lock, run on, no brakes, wet points, bad tires, no suspension, no chassis strength, huge but gutless engines, faulty analog emissions control, rust, bad wipers, worse heaters, hit or miss AC, electrical gremlins, weak headlights, no gauges, no options included unless you paid for each and every one, did I already say rust? Etc. etc.

These are the good old days, in case nobody noticed.
Yah, you already said 'Rust'--are you from Mich too?
dlstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #42

Region: Florida
How are the Magnaflow Competition series?
jpl4k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:05 AM   #43
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Only con about the GT500s are that they are heavy. That and they look like **** from behind unless you paint the cans. Also......I hate the tips,almost to the point of having some rolled ones welded on.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #44
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Only con about the GT500s are that they are heavy. That and they look like **** from behind unless you paint the cans. Also......I hate the tips,almost to the point of having some rolled ones welded on.
I love the tips, I hate rolled tips but double walled tips are pure sex

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlstang View Post
Yah, you already said 'Rust'--are you from Mich too?
Canada....

On another point, the tips on the 500s are a little low rent but, I like the fact they are huge and fill the hole nicely.

I did paint the entire can w. flat black BBQ paint so you can't see those parts from behind. Big improvement for low cost, just like the 500s themselves.

The mufflers are a bit tubby because they have to last 100,000 miles. That's the standard expectation of an OEM exhaust component in durability testing. Saving what, 20 pounds here isn't really a big deal on a 3600 pound car.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
I love the tips, I hate rolled tips but double walled tips are pure sex
I'm Not a fan of Rolled Tips either, and I can't say I've seen a better looking tip than these Pypes 4" double walled SS tips. And they stick out far enough to see the Pypes name embossed on the top. I don't want something that just comes flush w/ the Facia. If they could just engineer the "Drone" out, I'd be as Happy as a Clam!
Old 07-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Canada....

On another point, the tips on the 500s are a little low rent but, I like the fact they are huge and fill the hole nicely.

I did paint the entire can w. flat black BBQ paint so you can't see those parts from behind. Big improvement for low cost, just like the 500s themselves.

The mufflers are a bit tubby because they have to last 100,000 miles. That's the standard expectation of an OEM exhaust component in durability testing. Saving what, 20 pounds here isn't really a big deal on a 3600 pound car.
Well, we're speaking the same language about 'Rust'. Thank God they did go to SS exhaust systems--I've replaced many "aluminized mufflers" and exhaust pipes over the yrs.
That's one thing I thought detracted from the rear view of the car, were those big stock mufflers hanging there. Great idea, painting the cans Black. But w/ these 4" Resonator Tips, they fill up the hole and there's nothing else to see.
I put mine in, when the snow starts flying, and drive a van in the Winter. But the extra wt of the GT500's should give you better rear wheel traction--Summer or Winter. LOL
Old 07-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I had the roush as my first muffler, but as soon as I added the 3" heartthrob cat to axle with flowpacks, the rasp became a huge annoyance. Since then, I switched to the RTR mufflers and have never looked back. They sound great! I also added kooks long tubes and sidepipes with QTP electric cutouts.

My exhaust videos are below:

striker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #49

Region: Illinois
Do the GT500s ever go on sale? I've been looking on american muscle and late model resto for several months waiting for a deal. With no luck.
Boj311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boj311 View Post
Do the GT500s ever go on sale? I've been looking on american muscle and late model resto for several months waiting for a deal. With no luck.
I doubt it. Especially considering the already low price compared to other axlebacks. Once you hit 50 posts PM Dan or Shane from AM and they will give you a discount code for an extra 6% off
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 07-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I wanted the RTRs for quite a while. There's a unique sound to them, and I love the tips. I scored a really good deal on a set of Flowmaster 40-series with some custom pipe work/H-pipe. I reeeeeally like it, but once in a while there's a real rattle. Tinny sounding. Only when the engine isn't under a load. I looked at the GT500s, and to be honest I'm debating swapping...that price is unreal, and with 3" catbacks, h-pipe, and possible LTs in the future (maybe cat deletes), I think it'll sound great.
Please dear God, protect my sweet ride.

2013 California Specil GT "Tater"
jdemK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I doubt it. Especially considering the already low price compared to other axlebacks. Once you hit 50 posts PM Dan or Shane from AM and they will give you a discount code for an extra 6% off
Good To Know. I've spent over $900. at American Muscle and they sure get the parts to you Fast.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good To Know. I've spent over $900. at American Muscle and they sure get the parts to you Fast.
Yes sir they do. Unfortunately i had already spent over $2k before anybody told me hahaha
Old 07-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
I wasnt freaking out I just wanted him to know that the 500's are the only muffler that i know of that doesnt get raspy when you add longtubes or orxp or anything for that matter, and I know you were recommending them, I wish I knew more about them when I first bought exhaust parts, i had to do the trial and era method to get the sound I wamted, which is the sound alot of people are looking for, some people like the rasp crap but I hate it..
Hey Brian, do you have any stats about 'Back pressure' on the GT500s compaired to the Axle-back Resonator design?
Old 07-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey Brian, do you have any stats about 'Back pressure' on the GT500s compaired to the Axle-back Resonator design?
Huh??? Axlebacks are just the mufflers. Has nothing to do with back pressure. No axleback will gain/loose you any hp or back preasure. The resonators are a different part of the exhaust, used to help muffle the exhaust. Some get people get them cut out to pick up a bit more sound. The only parts of the exhaust that will make a difference in back pressure and HP will be removing the cats, which will pick you up around 15hp on the dyno, and by switching to long tube headers.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:04 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Huh??? Axlebacks are just the mufflers. Has nothing to do with back pressure. No axleback will gain/loose you any hp or back preasure. The resonators are a different part of the exhaust, used to help muffle the exhaust. Some get people get them cut out to pick up a bit more sound. The only parts of the exhaust that will make a difference in back pressure and HP will be removing the cats, which will pick you up around 15hp on the dyno, and by switching to long tube headers.
Are you saying that there isn't any difference in 'back pressure', between the GT500's (which I assume is a Chambered muffler, like the stock mufflers I took off my GT) and the Axle-back Resonators (Pypes Pype Bombs), which I replaced them with?
Old 07-08-2013, 03:56 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Snuck up on em

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstone94 View Post
Strict VA emissions? Haha, since when did VA started testing that?! I've never gone through an emissions test here.
This is another sleeping sheep, New World Order got him good.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Are you saying that there isn't any difference in 'back pressure', between the GT500's (which I assume is a Chambered muffler, like the stock mufflers I took off my GT) and the Axle-back Resonators (Pypes Pype Bombs), which I replaced them with?
There should not be a change in back pressure. The only option that may affect back pressure would be going with axle backs that have a 3" inlet and piping instead of the stock 2 3/4" inlet and piping. I went with 3" all the way, and it seems to flow a lot better. This will definitely help if I go forced induction.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker79 View Post

There should not be a change in back pressure. The only option that may affect back pressure would be going with axle backs that have a 3" inlet and piping instead of the stock 2 3/4" inlet and piping. I went with 3" all the way, and it seems to flow a lot better. This will definitely help if I go forced induction.
Exactly correct. You also got rid of the resonators when doing that as well.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

I actually went with the heartthrob cat to axle kit with flowpacks in the mid section. They still have fitment issues, but for the price, I didn't mind the 15 minutes of cutting the pipe to the correct length.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:12 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
About 8 months ago I installed a set of Pypes "Pype Bombs" axle back exhaust. To me they sound great for local driving. We just returned from a 2k mile driving vacation and still have headaches from the drone! I recently learned about the sound tube and removed it hoping that it was the problem. Although I like it better without the tube, I don't think that it contributed to the drone. I hate to trash a fairly new set of exhaust and was curious if anyone knows of any modification tricks I can do to them to help with the drone? I would appreciate any input. Thanks
Do you have the Stick or the Automatic? I called Pypes again and talked to someone different.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #62

Region: Arkansas
Auto
Wf2491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Autos tough as drone can't be varied or controlled by selection of gear as easily and the car'll tend to hunt itself into the drone through the action of the torque converter.

Anyone whao has an auto should be very wary of any kind of drone producing exhaust, as it'll be way worse than on a manual car.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Roush is very loud, out of step with low mod level and and has ugly rasp at high rpm. They aren't really cheap (it's still close to $500, when all's done and dusted) and have had reported durability problems long term. That's why I wouldn't go there.
I love my Roush exhaust..just installed it and it sounds bad ***. It has GREAT reviews and really worth it IMO...especially since I didn't wanna spend a buttload on Borla.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

I used to have a set of Tanabe Gold Medallion exhaust (for my previous import ... I know I know).

They had a design that you could insert an included piece into the exhaust tip that essentially acted as a silencer. However I'm thinking this can't be good because it effectively narrowed the flow diameter.

But it was very effective. I never drove it more than 1/4-1/2 throttle with it on but was useful for long road trips.

Most exhausts come with a pre-drilled hole. Not sure if it maybe possible to fabricate this "silencer" and bolt it on.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #66

Yeah when I started this thread that was what I was looking to hear. A way to plug or insert something in them. I have since decided to go with a set of GT 500s instead. Thanks for the input though.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #67

Yeah when I originally posted this, that is what I was looking for. I have since decided to go with the gt500s instead. But thanks for the input.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT