Terrible DRONE!!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #1

Region: Arkansas
Terrible DRONE!!!!

About 8 months ago I installed a set of Pypes "Pype Bombs" axle back exhaust. To me they sound great for local driving. We just returned from a 2k mile driving vacation and still have headaches from the drone! I recently learned about the sound tube and removed it hoping that it was the problem. Although I like it better without the tube, I don't think that it contributed to the drone. I hate to trash a fairly new set of exhaust and was curious if anyone knows of any modification tricks I can do to them to help with the drone? I would appreciate any input. Thanks
Wf2491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Muffler deletes are ****. There is no effective way to control sound with them. You made a bad decision, now buy some real mufflers that will make the auditory experience controlled and happy. It's easy to make a quiet exhaust louder but, next to impossible the other way around.

You can sell the Pypes to someone else that thinks these are the answer, to offset some of your cost.

Good sound, no drone, low price: GT500s
Good sound, no drone, high price: Borla touring, Magnaflow, Stainless Works
Things I'd never buy: Flowmaster, Roush, Hearthrob

You can turn up the volume on the GT500s and others by pulling the resonators or cats or going with LT headers. Just be aware the latter option will really increase noise and your muffler choice should reflect the goals. Just a heads up also, you can not make this car sound like aburbly traditional musclecar idling around town without making it bellowingly loud under load. That's the curse of rear mount mufflers...and a quad cam V8.

It might seem I am pumping the GT500s and I am. They are an awesome sound out of this car; it's basically like having the Bullitt audio track playing quietly in the background every time you drive. They are just a bit quiet for some people but, as I said, that's easily cured and controllable on how much volume you want.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I agree with 5LHO, but dont understand why you would never buy Roush? I get that its a love/hate muffler because they are quite loud, so maybe you were basing your opinion on that you just don't like the sound?
To the OP, i personally love my Roush axleback. Obviously if you bought the Pypes kit to begin with, you're looking for something pretty loud but with no drone. Well the Roush are exactly that. Pretty loud when you want them to be, but very tame on the highway with ZERO drone. Quality wise, they look great, and the fitment was spot on. Personally i think the Roush's are offer a great combination. Loud, no drone, look good, and wont break the bank.
The only problem with the Roush is they do get pretty raspy and drone a lot if you take the cats off. So if you are planning on getting LTs or an off road x/h pipe in the future, i would stay away from them, and like 5LHO suggested, look at the GT500s or Borla S type.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
I agree with 5LHO, but dont understand why you would never buy Roush? I get that its a love/hate muffler because they are quite loud, so maybe you were basing your opinion on that you just don't like the sound?
To the OP, i personally love my Roush axleback. Obviously if you bought the Pypes kit to begin with, you're looking for something pretty loud but with no drone. Well the Roush are exactly that. Pretty loud when you want them to be, but very tame on the highway with ZERO drone. Quality wise, they look great, and the fitment was spot on. Personally i think the Roush's are offer a great combination. Loud, no drone, look good, and wont break the bank.
The only problem with the Roush is they do get pretty raspy and drone a lot if you take the cats off. So if you are planning on getting LTs or an off road x/h pipe in the future, i would stay away from them, and like 5LHO suggested, look at the GT500s or Borla S type.
Roush is very loud, out of step with low mod level and and has ugly rasp at high rpm. They aren't really cheap (it's still close to $500, when all's done and dusted) and have had reported durability problems long term. That's why I wouldn't go there.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post

Roush is very loud, out of step with low mod level and and has ugly rasp at high rpm. They aren't really cheap (it's still close to $500, when all's done and dusted) and have had reported durability problems long term. That's why I wouldn't go there.
Fair enough. Like i said before, i understand the sound isnt for everyone haha.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 07-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I've also heard that Roush Axle-Backs sound bad when you go catless/LT;'s.
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstone94 View Post
Yeah thats the general concept of the Roush. They sound great alone, but with no cats or LTs terrible drone and rasp. Unfortunately due to strict VA emissions ill be keeping my cats, which is why i went with them.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
they do and everyone and there brother has them.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah thats the general concept of the Roush. They sound great alone, but with no cats or LTs terrible drone and rasp. Unfortunately due to strict VA emissions ill be keeping my cats, which is why i went with them.
Strict VA emissions? Haha, since when did VA started testing that?! I've never gone through an emissions test here.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
everyone and there brother has them.
Haha same can be said about the GT500s though too.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

Quote:

Strict VA emissions? Haha, since when did VA started testing that?! I've never gone through an emissions test here.
Northern VA. Sorry should have specified. We have to get scanner and visual inspection every 2 years. Ive always wondered how that's worked. I thought it was supposed to be the same throughout the entire state. My buddy has his car registered down in Fredericksburg and doesn't have any emissions tests either, yet I have mine registered in northern VA and have to get tested every 2 years before I can renew my registration.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Question i have gt500's the previous owner out on I wanna keep them
But I wanna make them
Louder without spending 800$ on headers
sean5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean5.0 View Post
But I wanna make them
Get an offroad x or h pipe.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Northern VA. Sorry should have specified. We have to get scanner and visual inspection every 2 years. Ive always wondered how that's worked. I thought it was supposed to be the same throughout the entire state. My buddy has his car registered down in Fredericksburg and doesn't have any emissions tests either, yet I have mine registered in northern VA and have to get tested every 2 years before I can renew my registration.[/QUOTE]

Dang! I'm glad I live all the way in the southern part of VA. I'm about 5 miles from the NC Line. We never get held up on emissions or exhaust modifications.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE="Evil2014GT;1710712"]

Haha same can be said about the GT500s though too.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

right I'm not a fan of either of them
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Get an offroad x or h pipe.
and/or delete the resonators for straight pipe.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Dang! I'm glad I live all the way in the southern part of VA. I'm about 5 miles from the NC Line. We never get held up on emissions or exhaust modifications.[/QUOTE]

Haha yeah it blows.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
But I wanna make them
I have the gt500's and ive had both orx and orh and with the gt500 mufflers you can run the orx with no rasp, I have longtubes orx resonator deletes and gt500 mufflers, best sound you can get out of any exhaust, in my opinion....
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I have the Roush axel backs and I love them. I do not get drone either. In 6th gear at 80 its not much louder that stock if your just maintains speed. They are fairly tame unless you are stepping on it.

Everyone has an opinion, that is mine.

I have heard that you should not delete the cats as that changes things significantly.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Is the h pipe louder than an x pipe my friend said it was but I've never heard the diff any opinions
Old 07-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wf2491 View Post
About 8 months ago I installed a set of Pypes "Pype Bombs" axle back exhaust. To me they sound great for local driving. We just returned from a 2k mile driving vacation and still have headaches from the drone! I recently learned about the sound tube and removed it hoping that it was the problem. Although I like it better without the tube, I don't think that it contributed to the drone. I hate to trash a fairly new set of exhaust and was curious if anyone knows of any modification tricks I can do to them to help with the drone? I would appreciate any input. Thanks
I did EXACTLY (Pypes Pype Bombs) the SAME THING! And I like the sound as long as you keep the RPMs out of the 1800-2000 range. I listened to then on American Muscle and they didn't sound overly loud in the video, so I was a bit surprised when I fired them up for the 1st time. Like I said, I like the sound--EXCEPT the DRONE range. I called up Pypes and this guy told me, some people notice a little Drone and some people don't. The DRONE is DEAFENING at 70 mph! So I drive 60-65mph or 80 mph, depending on where I am. You'd think Pypes would own up to the problem and come up w/ a Solution!
dlstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #21
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Roush sound great on a stock car but are horrible when paired up with LTs or a O/R mid pipe. I traded my pretty much new Roush to my buddy for some GT500s and don't regret it one bit. It toned down the rasp of my O/R X and LTs combo big time. Go to some car meets and listen to some exhaust notes in person to help with your decision.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Roush sound great on a stock car but are horrible when paired up with LTs or a O/R mid pipe. I traded my pretty much new Roush to my buddy for some GT500s and don't regret it one bit. It toned down the rasp of my O/R X and LTs combo big time. Go to some car meets and listen to some exhaust notes in person to help with your decision.
Of all the brands I've heard & seen in various catalogs, I've never heard of GT500's. Where do you find them? My 'All Time Favorite' movie is "Bullitt"; McQueen's Mustang Couldn't Have Sounded Better, and that's what I want my 2013 GT to sound like.
dlstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlstang View Post
Of all the brands I've heard & seen in various catalogs, I've never heard of GT500's. Where do you find them? My 'All Time Favorite' movie is "Bullitt"; McQueen's Mustang Couldn't Have Sounded Better, and that's what I want my 2013 GT to sound like.
Youve never heard of gt500's? first off they are really cheap compared to the brand names, they have the best deep rumble all the way thru the rpm range, and they only sound better and better the more modding you do, they are a bit tame when you have just them, but remove the cats and put on an orx pipe and longtubes and they are the best, but thats me, ive heard the roush and they are tin cans, nothing but rasp, magnaflow is the same, raspy, dont get me wrong low rpms they sound good but higher rpms suck, the gt500's are amazingly loud with long tubes and orxp and resonator deletes, and for the guy that said h pipe is louder than x pipe is wrong, ive had both h is for even more deep rumble but the gt500's let you use the x pipe and keep a loud deep rumble, but im sure the borlas sound great too, i just cant swallow paying 700.00 for a name?

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

and AM sells them for about 310.00
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
Old 07-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Ok orx it is should I get cats or just leave the way it is and I'm holding off on long tubes and ill get resonator deletes
Old 07-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

no cats if you can, it gives you roughly 20 noticable hp....
Old 07-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is the h pipe louder than an x pipe my friend said it was but I've never heard the diff any opinions
The x pipe is going to be louder. But they both give off completely different tones. The x with be loud and raspy, like a nascar sound, the h will have a quiter lower deep rumble.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I got the GT500s for 260 + free delivery from AM many months ago. This is an OEM-spec muffler that has passed all Ford's durability testing and has OEM fit. No aftermarket muffler can claim that re. the durability testing. It even comes with its own tack welded ball clamps and a little plastic fitment tool to hold the the ball and socket joint together while you tighten the bolt.

It took me a while to figure out why I liked them so much but, then I realized why the sound was so familiar. Yep, Bullitt soundtrack. This is especially notable if you have a 3.73 car and row the gears around a little bit.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #28

Thanks to everyone for your inputs. I guess that I will have to bite the bullit and ! I will never make that mistake again. I think that I am going to look into the GT500s.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for your inputs. I guess that I will have to bite the bullit and ! I will never make that mistake again. I think that I am going to look into the GT500s.
Yaaayyyyy
Old 07-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for your inputs. I guess that I will have to bite the bullet and I will never make that mistake again. I think that I am going to look into the GT500s.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Excellent choice in a real muffler for muffler delete prices, with easy growth potential for noise later.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The x pipe is going to be louder. But they both give off completely different tones. The x with be loud and raspy, like a nascar sound, the h will have a quiter lower deep rumble.
i disagree , like i said i had the h pipe, then put on the x pipe, and then did the resonator delete, and I have zero raspy, loud deep rumble, LOUD....any other muffler has rasp when you add the orxp, but not the gt500's, but what do i know...i only run them everyday and get many compliments everyday I stop some where....
Old 07-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post

i disagree , like i said i had the h pipe, then put on the x pipe, and then did the resonator delete, and I have zero raspy, loud deep rumble, LOUD....any other muffler has rasp when you add the orxp, but not the gt500's, but what do i know...i only run them everyday and get many compliments everyday I stop some where....
Calm down guy. I wasnt talking about with any particular muffler. Just in general the sound of an x vs h pipe. An x pipe will typically rasp more then an h pipe. Its a fact. Some mufflers, like the GT500s will limit that more than others.

If you notice his question, he asked what the sound difference was. Not what do GT500s in particular sound like with each. In fact i even recommended he goes with gt500s if hes getting rid of the cats for that very reason.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlstang View Post
I did EXACTLY (Pypes Pype Bombs) the SAME THING! And I like the sound as long as you keep the RPMs out of the 1800-2000 range. I listened to then on American Muscle and they didn't sound overly loud in the video, so I was a bit surprised when I fired them up for the 1st time. Like I said, I like the sound--EXCEPT the DRONE range. I called up Pypes and this guy told me, some people notice a little Drone and some people don't. The DRONE is DEAFENING at 70 mph! So I drive 60-65mph or 80 mph, depending on where I am. You'd think Pypes would own up to the problem and come up w/ a Solution!
Heartthrob Flowpacks are the same. They are deep and throaty sounding, but the 2 grand drone in 6th (at 70mph) gets pretty loud. To avoid that, I bump my speed to 80+. I'm not complaining though... Reminds me of my old '69 Fastback 428 with cast iron headers and glass packs.
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I like to remember the good old days, too, then it all comes back to me in stark clarity:

Blowouts, vapour lock, run on, no brakes, wet points, bad tires, no suspension, no chassis strength, huge but gutless engines, faulty analog emissions control, rust, bad wipers, worse heaters, hit or miss AC, electrical gremlins, weak headlights, no gauges, no options included unless you paid for each and every one, did I already say rust? Etc. etc.

These are the good old days, in case nobody noticed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT