Exhaust question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-08-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Exhaust question

So I have a question regarding purchasing an exhaust. Right now due to budget constraints I can only go with an axel back haha. I know in the future when i get back to the states I want to get headers and full 3 inch exhaust and H pipe. My question is, I am wanting to get the borla s type axel backs but would it be better served to get another less expensive axel back (if so any suggestions that sounds deep with little rasp and no drone) and get the s types when I redo my exhaust which won't be for almost 4 years. Or should i get the s-type at this time and hook into them when I get the exhaust done? Should they still be in good condition in 4 years?

On a side note, it's been oppressively hot here lately and was wondering if anyone knows of a place I can get a windshield sun screen that has the Pony 5.0 logo???
BigP0314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
S-types are guaranteed to have zero drone. I imagine their quality would hold up for years to come. I'm actually about to pull the trigger on a set of borla touring axel backs. I don't care much for the throaty muscle car sound.

Also, as far as sun shades go. I've only seen them with the running horse and the tri-bar pony.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
S-types are guaranteed to have zero drone. I imagine their quality would hold up for years to come. I'm actually about to pull the trigger on a set of borla touring axel backs. I don't care much for the throaty muscle car sound.

Also, as far as sun shades go. I've only seen them with the running horse and the tri-bar pony.
I haven't even found those where did u see them?
BigP0314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigP0314 View Post

I haven't even found those where did u see them?
http://www.race-mart.com/Covercraft-COR-UF11112F.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2046602871.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	345.8 KB
ID:	117243
Old 07-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
The Borla S-Type exhaust sounds great on a stock 5.0. In fact, AMDanBailer bought his stock '12 GT with an S-Type exhaust already installed. However, once Dan added LT headers and an O/R Xpipe, the Borla S-Type became too much volume at cruising speeds. So, to tone down the low RPM volume a little bit, we installed a GT500 axle back onto his system and sold the Borla. Since then, Dan's loved his exhaust and doesn't plan on ever changing it.

Moral of the story, the Borla S-Type may be too much exhaust for most, when paired with an O/R mid-pipe. Otherwise, it's a very high quality and nicely toned axle-back. If you're going to wait 4 years before installing a mid-pipe, then the Borla definitely isn't a bad choice either route you take!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

What LT's did Dan go with?
Old 07-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
What LT's did Dan go with?
I'm pretty sure Dan said he installed Borla LT's in another post on another thread.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
AM price matched my borlas from Jegs for 650.00

Borla Exhaust Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eZpnBuQiag

GT500 Muffler sound clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkGKwxQkTc8
Filth and Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
For sound or temporary use, I would recommend the GT500 mufflers. If you are looking to go full 3" down the road, make sure the axle back is a 3" inlet as well. Many are 2 3/4, that is why I went with the RTR mufflers. They sound INCREDIBLE, have no drone at all, and are 3".

Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
striker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #10
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filth and Fury View Post
AM price matched my borlas from Jegs for 650.00
Are you talking about the s-type axel back?

Never mind. I just looked em up. Pretty sweet.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker79 View Post
For sound or temporary use, I would recommend the GT500 mufflers. If you are looking to go full 3" down the road, make sure the axle back is a 3" inlet as well. Many are 2 3/4, that is why I went with the RTR mufflers. They sound INCREDIBLE, have no drone at all, and are 3".

I'm about to call shenanigans on you sir. You've been on this forum for 3 days. And all ready you have posted these links and the same post in three different spots in the same sections. All while thread jacking a few others to let it be known that "I have the BLAH BLAH BLAH and it sounds incredible. Either A, you're a rep for these companies. Or B, your too dumb to realize its a little obnoxious. And BTW, I have less than $700 into my complete exhaust setup using what you call "cheap and temporary parts". But I would bet more then half the time people would choose the sound of my exhaust over your $2000+ setup that IMO doesn't sound that good.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

all the RTR's are are over priced magnaflows. thats who made them. they painted them black and put rtr on them. same thing as the magnaflow streets
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
I'm about to call shenanigans on you sir. You've been on this forum for 3 days. And all ready you have posted these links and the same post in three different spots in the same sections. All while thread jacking a few others to let it be known that "I have the BLAH BLAH BLAH and it sounds incredible. Either A, you're a rep for these companies. Or B, your too dumb to realize its a little obnoxious. And BTW, I have less than $700 into my complete exhaust setup using what you call "cheap and temporary parts". But I would bet more then half the time people would choose the sound of my exhaust over your $2000+ setup that IMO doesn't sound that good.
You can call all you want. I just recently joined the forum to let my experience be known to people that have questions. The only reason I am trying to get the RTRs out there is because when I looked for sound clips before making a decision, I could not find hardly anything that was of good quality. I decided I would make clips so that other people could have the knowledge that I did not have when making my decision. Not to mention all of the hands-on experience I have about working on this car. Everything I have added I did myself. My grandfathers both restore classic cars, and I get it from them.

To the "cheap and temporary", I never said cheap. They are affordable. I said temporary because the OP was stating he might change mufflers when he gets a 3" exhaust down the line. I believe the GT500s are incredible mufflers, but if the OP is giong 3" down the road, why not get a 3" muffler now. GT500s are 2 3/4.

I am certain you do have a nice exhaust for $700; however, each person is privy to their own opinion, and I am just letting people know what I have experienced from all the modifications I have made.

I am curious how you got a full exhaust (headers, mid pipe, over the axle pipes, and mufflers) for $700, and what the specs are on it.

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
all the RTR's are are over priced magnaflows. thats who made them. they painted them black and put rtr on them. same thing as the magnaflow streets
I can assure you that the RTR's are NOT rebranded Magnaflows. Vaughn worked with Magnaflow to make these mufflers, and there was a significant amount of R & D put into the design of them. They were not simply "painted black".
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
Old 07-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

they are pretty much the magnaflow streets. which i have not just a axle back
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
they are pretty much the magnaflow streets. which i have not just a axle back
But pretty much is not the same. The RTR's have a unique sound to them that you really have to hear in person. The camera does not do them justice. They were actually a bit louder before I put on the Kooks headers, and unlike other exhausts that I've heard, the RTRs seem to get quieter the higher the rpms are on the road. It's kind of mysterious, but sounds really cool.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Shenanigans. There, I said it...
You made me do it, I hope you're happy.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Shenanigans on what?
Old 07-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I am most certainly not a rep for anything related to cars. I just love working on cars as a hobby, and computers. I work at Promethean, an interactive whiteboard company in Alpharetta, GA, where I live. You can call shenanigans all you want. Not to mention Magnaflow is based out of CA, the opposite side of the US in relation to GA.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:
I can't say I'm surprised by your comments one bit.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT