Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Leaking rear differential

14K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Evil2014GT 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i was pulling into the driveway tonight and noticed a wet spot on the pavement, around the area of the diff. Got under the car for a look, and sure enough its leaking. Too dark to tell whether its coming from the cover or pinion seal. Has anybody else had problems with their '14s leaking?? I know the 13s had a TSB on the bladder style axle vents, but i havent heard anything about the 14s. I am lowered, and have yet to put in a new UCA to adjust my pinion angle. Do you think that could have caused it? Even only after about 5k miles?? I mean no sweat off my back if i get stuck having to replace the seal myself, if they deny my warranty, but hell, im kinda pressed for time these days and would rather have them do it if possible.

#2 ·
Ok well, took a second look. Definitely the pinion seal. From the looks of it, its been leaking for awhile. And now has gotten pretty bad. Heres a few pics.

Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Auto part Mid-size car

Vehicle Car Auto part Mid-size car Family car

Vehicle Car

Auto part

#4 · (Edited)
Lol nah screw that. Ive got access to air tools. So if needed i could do it myself in an hour or so. Im assuming its pretty easy? Ive done atleast 5-6 pinion seals on my ls1s but haven't done any the 5.0s. Do you need any special tools? A puller for the flange?

Do you think the drop caused this so fast?? Ive got 8k on the car, but maybe 5k after lowering. Im thinking it may be just a bad seal. Im only lowered 1.5 inches, although i know thata plenty to throw off the pinion angle.

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

Also, i cant seem to find a replacement seal anywhere online... Just full rebuild kits. You know where i can get just the seal?

#6 ·
#8 ·
Yeah thats the pinion seal. Yours is leaking from the vent on the axle. I believe there is a TSB for that. Mines definitely coming from the center right below the seal. Its also splashed all the way up onto my exhaust and UCA.

#17 ·
Well they covered it. No hassle at all. They didn't even mention the mods. Very pleased with my dealer so far. They bent over backwards to do it for me today as well since its my only day off.

#21 ·
Lets hope that continues! Especially if anything high dollar needs repaired lol

#22 ·
Yeah, the job is no big deal but it is a time sucker and if you're not careful doing it, you'll invite new gear install PDQ. That makes it a good candidate for not being DIY on a new car. If you'd like the quick and dirty way to do this right, PM me and I'll write it out for you.

You might want to look at the pinion included angle once you get it back and see if it's kookoo. Basically anything over -2 is pushing it on a street 3-link car.

8.8s aren't exactly unknown for having leaks from this area, even stock, so, you may be just in receipt of that continued problem.

#23 ·
Yeah, the job is no big deal but it is a time sucker and if you're not careful doing it, you'll invite new gear install PDQ. That makes it a good candidate for not being DIY on a new car. If you'd like the quick and dirty way to do this right, PM me and I'll write it out for you.

You might want to look at the pinion included angle once you get it back and see if it's kookoo. Basically anything over -2 is pushing it on a street 3-link car.

8.8s aren't exactly unknown for having leaks from this area, even stock, so, you may be just in receipt of that continued problem.
Thanks man, much appreciated. Yeah it seems like it happens quite often, after reading all the stuff i found on google the other night. Like i said, ill be getting my UCA and mount in October, so hopefully this will hold it over until then. I know my pinion angle is off, but i hope its THAT bad with only a 1.5 drop.
Like i said earlier too, it seems like its been leaking for quite some time. And just got progressively worse over time. So im thinking i just got a bad seal from the factory, and the lowering gave it the final blow to toast it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.