Leaking rear differential - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Leaking rear differential

Hey guys, i was pulling into the driveway tonight and noticed a wet spot on the pavement, around the area of the diff. Got under the car for a look, and sure enough its leaking. Too dark to tell whether its coming from the cover or pinion seal. Has anybody else had problems with their '14s leaking?? I know the 13s had a TSB on the bladder style axle vents, but i havent heard anything about the 14s. I am lowered, and have yet to put in a new UCA to adjust my pinion angle. Do you think that could have caused it? Even only after about 5k miles?? I mean no sweat off my back if i get stuck having to replace the seal myself, if they deny my warranty, but hell, im kinda pressed for time these days and would rather have them do it if possible.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Ok well, took a second look. Definitely the pinion seal. From the looks of it, its been leaking for awhile. And now has gotten pretty bad. Heres a few pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130708_224202.png
Views:	619
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	117356

Name:	ForumRunner_20130708_224212.png
Views:	425
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	117357

Name:	ForumRunner_20130708_224233.png
Views:	604
Size:	399.4 KB
ID:	117358

Name:	ForumRunner_20130708_224254.png
Views:	636
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	117359
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 07-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
It's worth a shot taking it to the dealer. There is a good chance they may deny warranty unless you wanna put your stock springs back in before you take it in?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
It's worth a shot taking it to the dealer. There is a good chance they may deny warranty unless you wanna put your stock springs back in before you take it in?
Lol nah screw that. Ive got access to air tools. So if needed i could do it myself in an hour or so. Im assuming its pretty easy? Ive done atleast 5-6 pinion seals on my ls1s but haven't done any the 5.0s. Do you need any special tools? A puller for the flange?

Do you think the drop caused this so fast?? Ive got 8k on the car, but maybe 5k after lowering. Im thinking it may be just a bad seal. Im only lowered 1.5 inches, although i know thata plenty to throw off the pinion angle.

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

Also, i cant seem to find a replacement seal anywhere online... Just full rebuild kits. You know where i can get just the seal?
Old 07-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,2380
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
You rule. Thanks man. Its listed for a 2011. Im assuming its the same part for the 14s? Gonna go ahead and order one so i have it for the weekend just incase the dealer tells me to kick rocks. Do i need anything else (besides fluid that is).
Old 07-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Is this the pinion seal?? As u can see I only had the normal vent cap leak
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3293291720.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	117370  
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
Is this the pinion seal?? As u can see I only had the normal vent cap leak
Yeah thats the pinion seal. Yours is leaking from the vent on the axle. I believe there is a TSB for that. Mines definitely coming from the center right below the seal. Its also splashed all the way up onto my exhaust and UCA.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post

Yeah thats the pinion seal. Yours is leaking from the vent on the axle. I believe there is a TSB for that. Mines definitely coming from the center right below the seal. Its also splashed all the way up onto my exhaust and UCA.
Yea it looks like yours has been leaking for a good while, the sticker under the pumpkin is caked with dirt, hopefully its an easy fix. Mine was off when I was getting the gears changed... I will check out the TSB, never knew about it, thanks!!
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

Yea it looks like yours has been leaking for a good while, the sticker under the pumpkin is caked with dirt, hopefully its an easy fix. Mine was off when I was getting the gears changed... I will check out the TSB, never knew about it, thanks!!
Yeah man. Heres the thread i found out about it. Take a look.
http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...l-leak-512578/
Old 07-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You rule. Thanks man. Its listed for a 2011. Im assuming its the same part for the 14s? Gonna go ahead and order one so i have it for the weekend just incase the dealer tells me to kick rocks. Do i need anything else (besides fluid that is).
Other than 3 quarts of fluid for your diff, you will use 2.5, that should be about it. Normal hand or pneumatic tools and a torque wrench. Switch to Royal Purple, no friction modifier needed either. Good luck!

http://www.americanmuscle.com/royalp...0-gearoil.html
Old 07-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Other than 3 quarts of fluid for your diff, you will use 2.5, that should be about it. Normal hand or pneumatic tools and a torque wrench. Switch to Royal Purple, no friction modifier needed either. Good luck!

http://www.americanmuscle.com/royalp...0-gearoil.html
Good deal thanks a ton sir! Ill get her patched up this weekend if the dealer says no. Im assuming the 11 seal is the same as for the 14?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Good deal thanks a ton sir! Ill get her patched up this weekend if the dealer says no. Im assuming the 11 seal is the same as for the 14?
Yeah it is. They're the same rear end housing, same driveshaft. There's no reason they would be different. 99% of the differences from 11-14 are only cosmetic.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah it is. They're the same rear end housing, same driveshaft. There's no reason they would be different. 99% of the differences from 11-14 are only cosmetic.
Awesome. Thanks again man

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

Anybody have any idea if my suspension mods would cause this so damn fast?? Or do you all think i just had a bad seal?
Old 07-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

Awesome. Thanks again man

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

Anybody have any idea if my suspension mods would cause this so damn fast?? Or do you all think i just had a bad seal?
I'd say the incorrect pinion angle caused it. Either way, I'd wait til I changed the uca to replace the seal.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

I'd say the incorrect pinion angle caused it. Either way, I'd wait til I changed the uca to replace the seal.
Gonna take it to the dealer now. We will see if they do it for me. I ordered a seal last night incase they dont, so i can do it myself this weekend. Id like to wait until i get the UCA, but its leaking pretty bad, and i dont wanna hurt the diff in the meantime. I wont be able to get a UCA until October unfortunately. Hopefully they replace it today, and it holds until then.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Well they covered it. No hassle at all. They didn't even mention the mods. Very pleased with my dealer so far. They bent over backwards to do it for me today as well since its my only day off.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well they covered it. No hassle at all. They didn't even mention the mods. Very pleased with my dealer so far. They bent over backwards to do it for me today as well since its my only day off.
That's great news! Glad to hear it.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's great news! Glad to hear it.
Thanks man. I appreciate the help. I ordered that seal last night just incase i had to do it myself. Ill probably end up putting that and some RP gear oil in when i get my UCA and mount in October. Hope this one will hold until then.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #20
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Glad to see your dealer take care of you, not too often you hear about that. My local dealer is just the same, I've had a bit of warranty work done and never a word was said about my mods

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:25 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Glad to see your dealer take care of you, not too often you hear about that. My local dealer is just the same, I've had a bit of warranty work done and never a word was said about my mods
Lets hope that continues! Especially if anything high dollar needs repaired lol
Old 07-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yeah, the job is no big deal but it is a time sucker and if you're not careful doing it, you'll invite new gear install PDQ. That makes it a good candidate for not being DIY on a new car. If you'd like the quick and dirty way to do this right, PM me and I'll write it out for you.

You might want to look at the pinion included angle once you get it back and see if it's kookoo. Basically anything over -2 is pushing it on a street 3-link car.

8.8s aren't exactly unknown for having leaks from this area, even stock, so, you may be just in receipt of that continued problem.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Yeah, the job is no big deal but it is a time sucker and if you're not careful doing it, you'll invite new gear install PDQ. That makes it a good candidate for not being DIY on a new car. If you'd like the quick and dirty way to do this right, PM me and I'll write it out for you.

You might want to look at the pinion included angle once you get it back and see if it's kookoo. Basically anything over -2 is pushing it on a street 3-link car.

8.8s aren't exactly unknown for having leaks from this area, even stock, so, you may be just in receipt of that continued problem.
Thanks man, much appreciated. Yeah it seems like it happens quite often, after reading all the stuff i found on google the other night. Like i said, ill be getting my UCA and mount in October, so hopefully this will hold it over until then. I know my pinion angle is off, but i hope its THAT bad with only a 1.5 drop.
Like i said earlier too, it seems like its been leaking for quite some time. And just got progressively worse over time. So im thinking i just got a bad seal from the factory, and the lowering gave it the final blow to toast it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT