Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Ditching my Metra double DIN dash kit

24K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Wanacustomx 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 GT. One of the first things I did was to get a dash kit to accommodate a double DIN. I bought the Metra (I think there are two versions at this point). It lasted just over a year.

The fitment on this kit is good. The electronics suck. Not industrial quality, more like Taiwanese quality . Even though the LCD and buttons look cheesy, if you have a good double DIN unit you won't care because you're going to just look at your deck.

The LCD back light failed, it sucks to drive at night. Metra wouldn't provide replacement parts even if I paid for it. I would have to buy the entire crappy kit again. No thanks.

It would be fine, if this was just a bracket, it's not. It's got the entire control system for your interior.

I'm looking at my stock stuff and its not as cheesy as this crap. The stock controls are actually pretty cool. I'm dumping this trash. I'm glad I saved my stock parts.

The Schochie kit is crap as well, from what I've read on other forums.

Just a heads-up.

How is everyone doing with their Metra dash kit after a year?

See less See more
#7 ·
Seeing stuff like this, so happy I bought the OEM tech package for my car. Everything works so easily a cross-eyed monkey like me can figure it out without the manual and, should anything go wrong like, say, a GPS antenna failure like last month, I just politely ask Ford to fix it and they do.

'Course I'm even happier I didn't pay the ridiculous retail price for the tech pack either. It was basically free once all the discounts on the car were tabulated. :thumb:

The stock stuff on your car actually does look pretty good and integrates with the interior better, visually, imho.

#9 ·
if you want a great looking dash panel, look into the ADS-idatalink maestro kit, of course you'll need a dedicated Kenwood headunit, but the hvac controls are within the headunit and you also get access to OBDII readings, which enables you to check and clear CEL codes as well as gives you real time tire pressures, all on the head unit!!!

sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I have been thinking of getting a better head unit that has nav and all that on it. I have the base gt. What all would I have to buy to put one of these in? So all the controls that are on the dash now would be on the radio?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.