What's that sound? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
Region: Massachusetts
What's that sound?

My '13 GT Track Pack has been making an intermittent, faint high pitch squeaking noise for the past few weeks. It sounds like its coming from the rear passenger side wheel area. There does not seem to be any particular trigger - it happens at local and highway speeds, turning and going straight, with no relation to breaking, accelerating, or coasting.

I brought the car into the dealership for an unrelated issue, and explained the issue in detail to both the service manager and technician. After a road test, their diagnosis was "the torsen differential may chatter/groan when turning at low speeds." This makes no sense, since its has no relation to the actual symptoms.

When I followed up with the regional service manager, he spoke with the dealership and said I could bring the car in for another look. I want to go back better prepared this time - has anyone experienced this or does anyone have an idea what this could be? Are there any relevant TSBs?

Thanks in advance.

thebms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Pennsylvania
This may help. Not sure if its the same issue but it's worth the read.

Annoying rattle!!!!!!

Best 1/4: 1.90 60ft. - 12.15 @ 119mph on Street Tires.
460.25rwhp & 408.28rwtq SAE on a Dynojet 224xLC
Tuned by Matt Lepkowski, owner and operator a Performance Evolution in Smyrna, DE.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Texas
I was on the same boat. On my 2011. After taking to dealer and them having no explanation to the noise. Or they would just try to feed me a line of bs. I got under the car and triple checked all components torque specs. Then got a layer of dynomat and laid it out under rear seat. Never heard another noise since. A lot of people have talked about noises on the cars from missolenous places. Seems to be quite common. I think loud pipes and a good stero plus a little dynomat fixed mine. Just my two cents.
Jsmorley81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Delaware
A squeaking sound coming from the rear axle area usually denotes a bent axle, when you take it back tell them to look at the axles!
2016 Gt/Cs autowith 3:55', mbrp cat back and a n/a build on the way!...
blackbeast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Region: Virginia
My car is in the shop right now for a squeak from the rear, however I diagnosed it for them. Hope it is the same for yours but this is what I did.

My squeak is coming from one of the bushings back there, I sprayed the pan hard bar bushings, the shock bushings and even the rubber for the exhaust hangers with some wd 40, noise went away for a few days but after the first rain it washed it out and it started back.

Hope this helps you, I should find out for sure tomorrow and I will let you know for sure what I found.

I only assume that with my car being a year old, I have only put 4500 miles on it, that it is because I don't drive her enough.
2013 ford mustang gt, black, bought 16th of August. Only mod so far is tinted windows.
Am3gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Region: Georgia
It may be the lower control arms. I replaced mine with Steeda's and had a squeak at first, but then I lubed them up and placed a washer between the bushing and frame and no more squeak.
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
striker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
WD40 will swell up your rubber bushings........

jeremy777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT