O2 Sensor question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
O2 Sensor question

http://www.americanmuscle.com/kooks-...509manual.html

I was looking at getting these at some point, with no cats won't you get some kind of dash light. Can anyone shed light on this?
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweze001 View Post
Kooks Mustang Header and Off-road X-pipe Combo (Manual 05-10 GT) 6021-OX - Free Shipping!

I was looking at getting these at some point, with no cats won't you get some kind of dash light. Can anyone shed light on this?
One trick is to get some spark plug non fowlers. These fit over the O2 sensor and allow the computer to read less fumes. You would install them where the sensors after the cats would normally work. I did this when I got high flow cats and it worked flawlessly. I don't know if it would work that well with no cats, but it is a cheap fix. Worth a shot.
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
striker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Get a tune and it will fix that problem I didn't get a tune then I tuned my car and the light never came back
Jon5.0BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker79 View Post

One trick is to get some spark plug non fowlers. These fit over the O2 sensor and allow the computer to read less fumes. You would install them where the sensors after the cats would normally work. I did this when I got high flow cats and it worked flawlessly. I don't know if it would work that well with no cats, but it is a cheap fix. Worth a shot.
Technically that MIGHT work to prevent a code from being thrown, but the 11+ models also have a COT feature that you also have to deal with. So even if you use this method, the car would still be dumping gas into the would be cats trying to cool them down. Hence the reason they dont make mil eliminators or o2 sims for our cars. Without a tune, the car will not run correctly. And you wont see any gain in HP.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Technically that MIGHT work to prevent a code from being thrown, but the 11+ models also have a COT feature that you also have to deal with. So even if you use this method, the car would still be dumping gas into the would be cats trying to heat them up. Hence the reason they dont make mil eliminators or o2 sims for our cars. Without a tune, the car will not run correctly. And you wont see any gain in HP.
This is the first I've heard of the COT feature. What exactly is it? My bama tunes have worked wonderfully while I've had the non-fowlers installed.
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
Old 07-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

This is the first I've heard of the COT feature. What exactly is it? My bama tunes have worked wonderfully while I've had the non-fowlers installed.
It stands for Catalytic Over Temp feature. What it does is it prevents the cats from over heating by dumping fuel into them to cool them down. By just adding fowlers, you will fool the o2s, but the COT feature will still be enabled, and will continue to dump fuel. With a tune, not only does it fix the o2 sensors but is ALSO disables the COT feature.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 07-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Maybe it's different since I still have cats with my kooks mid-pipe. So it would not affect me. After reading over your post again, I think I understand what you are saying about if there were no cats. The non-fowlers would make the engine think there are cats, but there would not be. That is a good observation. Thank you.

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
It stands for Catalytic Over Temp feature. What it does is it prevents the cats from over heating by dumping fuel into them to cool them down. By just adding fowlers, you will fool the o2s, but the COT feature will still be enabled, and will continue to dump fuel. With a tune, not only does it fix the o2 sensors but is ALSO disables the COT feature.
Got it. I learned something new today.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Maybe it's different since I still have cats with my kooks mid-pipe. So it would not affect me. After reading over your post again, I think I understand what you are saying about if there were no cats. The non-fowlers would make the engine think there are cats, but there would not be. That is a good observation. Thank you.
If you still have cats, you're fine. And should continue to use the COT feature. You only want it disabled when you run with NO cats.

Glad I could help!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT