Quick fix for sloppy MT82 shifter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quick fix for sloppy MT82 shifter

I've seen this mentioned a couple times, but didn't see a thread on this so I might as well enlighten you to my discovery. Instead of buying an all new shifter and shifter bracket and spend $300+ you can replace the stock shifter bracket bushing with an Energy Suspension bushing. For those of you on a budget or wanting to save up for the godly MGW shifter, this will hold you over for a while for under $20 shipped.

Now for the good stuff. Immediately after I installed it, I noticed a huge difference. Shifts felt much tighter and more accurate than with the stock shifter bracket bushing. Most if not all of the slop has been taken out and I couldn't be happier with it. I am saving up for an MGW shifter, but this should hold me over for a while.

The install was very easy. Jack the car up and use a 12" extension with a 10mm deep socket to remove the 2 bolts holding the shifter bracket in place. There's a metal tab on one side (I believe it was the passenger side bolt, but I'm not 100% sure) that you have to remove to get the bracket off. I pryed and twisted the thing until it broke. After I got the bracket off I realized you can just pull down with a bit of force and the whole tab will slide down the bolt and come off with the bracket. Then you just cut the zip ties off, take the old bushing out, put the new bushing in and reinstall it. It does take a little bit of force to pop the new bushing onto the shifter, but you want a tight fit to eliminate slop. Whole install should take about 30 minutes...very easy and straight forward.

Here's a link to the bushing 4.1134 Energy Suspension Shifter Stabilizer Bushings - Mustang
2013_DIB_GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I wonder if that bushing coupled with a short shifter would have reduced noise over a full shifter set-up like the Barton, mgw etc.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
I wonder if that bushing coupled with a short shifter would have reduced noise over a full shifter set-up like the Barton, mgw etc.
Probably. But I've heard MGW is as quiet or quieter than stock.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
yeah the mgw is as silent as a baby sleeping, mine used to wine really loud in low gears now its a non issue and i used the racing bushing in mine
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
For the cost the bushing is great, something for the people not ready to make the jump to a shifter....I will say after playing with a short shifter in a 5.0 I no longer like the stock shifter and can't wait to order my MGW!
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT