SCT advice....HELP from those who have exp. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
SCT advice....HELP from those who have exp.

LSS fellows......Anybody know the latest on what SCT does or any advanced knowledge with flashing tune into ECM and have error and end up with a car that will not start and unable to load stock or custom?

Error code 1016 when attempting to return it to stock. Tried the unhooking battery for 15 minutes and then re-try loading and it's a fail no matter what I try. Car does not start.

Have submitted the emergency info SCT offers but it looks like 2moro I will get with them. I feel 99% sure they can get me back working , but was hoping somebody may know what they do or anyone know some solid info for a resolve. Thanks in advance fellows.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
back n a stang, dude, I could write a frickin book.

Here's the story with mine, hopefully it's got some useful information for you. The fun starts around post #11 ...and again around post #52 Custom vs. Strategy Tune (BAMA SCT)

Basically it boils down to this: the tuner wiped your ECU. It's got absolutely no data, and there is nothing you can do with the tuner to load a tune file. You'll need either a ford tech (who might but probably wont do it under warranty) or SCT (who you have to call, but should repair it under their warranty) to reload the stock configuration.

Things for you to do while they fix it: update the tuner to the absolute newest build. sctflash.com i believe it is. Reload your bama tunes to the device...and when you feel brave enough, try to load a tune onto your stock car and see what happens. At this point, mine worked fine but I still dread the day I need to redo a tune incase it happens again.

--edit---
The reason I know about this is that I've had this happen to me. Twice. Same damned thing. 'Cause I didn't learn my lesson the first time around.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
LSS fellows......Anybody know the latest on what SCT does or any advanced knowledge with flashing tune into ECM and have error and end up with a car that will not start and unable to load stock or custom?

Error code 1016 when attempting to return it to stock. Tried the unhooking battery for 15 minutes and then re-try loading and it's a fail no matter what I try. Car does not start.

Have submitted the emergency info SCT offers but it looks like 2moro I will get with them. I feel 99% sure they can get me back working , but was hoping somebody may know what they do or anyone know some solid info for a resolve. Thanks in advance fellows.
I hope you backed up your factory tune, if not you might be pretty ****ed. Error 1016 indicates a corrupt tune file. I had this happen once and had to reload the whole OS on the SCT. It took hours and I was only able to get things working by copying the backup of the stock tune to the SCT with help from their phone support. If you don't have a backup of your factory tune, you might be in for a tow and a very expensive reflash at the dealer (and almost certainly a red-flagged warranty).

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok View Post
back n a stang, dude, I could write a frickin book.
I hear ya. These SCT handhelds are freakin garbage.
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
mine does this **** all the time. swapping from nitrous tune to NA TUNE. plug your programmer into your computer and update it with the sct software. and you will be food

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

*good
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I thank all you fellows input. I actually have never had trouble and use to use it a lot. It's been 6 months probably since I even looked at my SCT. To be more specific. I pulled my 93-R tune for a inspection which went good as it should. I was putting the 93-R tune back in when this **** happen so that's when I tried to return to stock and then I planned to try again. It just never made it back to stock. The failure happen in the middle of loading the 93-R and from that point on it would load nothing and of course not start. I have about 10 tunes saved on my PC. Yes the stock as well. I don't see how I have lost stock unless all tunes/files stock or custom are just ****ed and crashed. Maybe there is no complete tune now.For Damn sure not in my car we know. The only thing that may have caused the failure I can think of is when I shut off car the AC was on and when I plugged up and turn key to on position the fan was blowing but I didn't want to **** with nothing since it was already communicating. I never **** up like that and not even sure that caused any of it. I have flashed several other tunes the first year many times and have had door open and little **** and it never had a effect.
Anyway I have been lucky I guess. I do have all my files on my PC but I wonder if I should wait and talk to SCT before ****ing with my files on there.
**** I don't know. What pisses me off is I very rarely if ever mess with flashes on w/e's or after 5pm and especially 5 miles from my house. I just got over confident it would be fine and it slid one in my ***!
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
Old 07-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't touch anything until you talk to them. If you do, it can make it a lot harder for them to recover them unless you really know what you're doing. They freaked out bigtime when I told them I had tried to fix it myself, but I explained what I did and everything was fine (I did have a pretty good idea what I was doing - but I wouldn't do it again lol). What really sucked was my car was stranded and I had to get picked up and then drive my other car out to it the next day, then get a ride back to it so I could take it home.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know if you this or not but next time make sure nothing is on, your cord doesn't get shifted or moved in anyway. I hope everything works out for you though, that's gotta be a f'd feeling you went through.
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Stuff like this makes me so nervous about getting a tune. Hope you get everything taken care of OP.
One question though, since there seem to be so many problems with the SCT tuners, what devise would you all recommend instead?
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:52 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Stuff like this makes me so nervous about getting a tune. Hope you get everything taken care of OP.
One question though, since there seem to be so many problems with the SCT tuners, what devise would you all recommend instead?
Unfortunately, it's pretty much the only choice. Just make sure you back up your stock tune and you will always be able to recover with SCTs help.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Best of luck man. This happened to me but with the DS Intune and I was fcked until Bob Kurgan took a look at it and fixed everything. I was able to start my car however it just ran horribly and backfired, alot..... Again good luck man and keep us updated
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post

Unfortunately, it's pretty much the only choice. Just make sure you back up your stock tune and you will always be able to recover with SCTs help.
Damn. How to you back up the stock tune? Sorry but im a noob when it comes to tunes for the coyote.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 07-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Damn. How to you back up the stock tune? Sorry but im a noob when it comes to tunes for the coyote.
There's an option to do it in the SCT updater.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

There's an option to do it in the SCT updater.
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good to know. Thanks.
Sorry I can't be more specific, I haven't installed the software since "upgrading" to Windows 8. God knows what would happen ...
Old 07-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sorry I can't be more specific, I haven't installed the software since "upgrading" to Windows 8. God knows what would happen ...
Haha no worries. Its gonna be awhile before I tune anyway, just trying to learn all I can now, so i can try and avoid all these problems the best i can a few months from now.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I gotta give props to SCT. Twice I have needed them badly but for different reasons and both times they got me thru some hard times.
Anyway, just updating this thread and thanks to SCT tech staff......Car is back in action!
Old 07-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I gotta give props to SCT. Twice I have needed them badly but for different reasons and both times they got me thru some hard times.
Anyway, just updating this thread and thanks to SCT tech staff......Car is back in action!
Glad you got it fixed man.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I've never updated my tuner and have never had a problem. One thing I do do is keep a battery tender hooked up when up flashing tunes into the car. And as stated try and save your stock tune to your computer so to avoid any hassles with a dealer.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
I've never updated my tuner and have never had a problem. One thing I do do is keep a battery tender hooked up when up flashing tunes into the car. And as stated try and save your stock tune to your computer so to avoid any hassles with a dealer.
Ok so I know this the 5.0 section but what are te chances of the PCM getting wiped out to where you can't do nothing except taking it to the dealer?is it mainly the sct tuner that messes up
Torchred2010gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchred2010gt View Post

Ok so I know this the 5.0 section but what are te chances of the PCM getting wiped out to where you can't do nothing except taking it to the dealer?is it mainly the sct tuner that messes up
Low, as long as you back up your stock tune.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Low, as long as you back up your stock tune.
Cause until I can either upgrade to a 5.0 n get supercharge it or I get my current car blown on my stock motor i atleast want to feel the power wothouth having to take it to the dealer.the main dealership i take it too the guy I deal with is cool but he told me if they find an aftermarket tune he will not take it.kisa got me bummed cause i have the exaust I want to do with an or x but just that worry if something happens ya know
Torchred2010gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #22
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
back n a stang,

Glad you got things worked out! SCT has a great tech staff.

Now get out and enjoy the car!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
back n a stang,

Glad you got things worked out! SCT has a great tech staff.

Now get out and enjoy the car!

Shane
Would those be the ones who hang up if you call too close to them closing after being on hold for 20 minutes, or the ones who never answer the online chat? I know you have to back them as a vendor, but seriously they have some of the worst customer service in the industry.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Would those be the ones who hang up if you call too close to them closing after being on hold for 20 minutes, or the ones who never answer the online chat? I know you have to back them as a vendor, but seriously they have some of the worst customer service in the industry.
No they absolutely don't. I called one time with about 25 minutes to spare the tech worked my issue out. Control my computer and downloaded updates and the save tunes.

My ecu got locked out damnit more times than I want to say but after letting it sit there for 1hr I was able to return to stock and reflash.

Seems the new firmware is working fine. Last time I returned to stock and reloaded tunes it went without hiccup. Prior to that... Fuggetaboutit! Always locked me out on the first try.

But BAMA was nowhere near as bad as you say
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT