03 Cobra Heads on 2010 GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #1

Region: New Jersey
03 Cobra Heads on 2010 GT

If I can get any feedback on this, it would be greatly appreciated. So I have a 2010 GT, manual trans, SOHC ofcourse, and Ive been thinking about swapping out the SOHC Heads with set of DOHC heads I have off of an 03 Cobra, since its still basically the 4.6 Modular, I feel it shouldnt be an issue, but before I get to it and start taking it apart, ive wanted to find out if anyone has done it already or knows of it or if the swap isnt possible, and could give me any information on getting it done, and could let me know asap, I would greatly appreciate it.... Thank you in advance!!!
KillerStang91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It would be a costly swap for sure! You'd need to port match the heads, swap pistons for valve clearance as well as all timing accessories, timing cover. You'd need a completely custom exhaust with a set of 4v headers lined up with it. A custom intake made or you would need to find an aftermarket for purchase. You'd need to rely solely on dyno tuning for the car to even start and if you stay NA you won't make much more power if any more and you'd take a loss on torque.

The 3v already makes more torque than the 99 cobras and your essentially looking at the same heads on the 03. The 3v head is not a bad design at all really and if I were you I'd just stick with cams and some custom porting with a nice valve/spring job. Much cheaper and more results. The 4v would outshine you if you were forced induction however.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #3

Region: New Jersey
Thanks for the info, but I was thinking since I already have the heads and all timing accessories, porting I was planning on doing myself, I I was thinking that by changing, gears to 4.10, getting tuner and maybe even a 2step I would be able to balance out the torque loss, while increasing high end power with the swap.and maybe eventually either turbo or supercharger, I was thinking that for the gain it would be worth it. Especially since I have the cobra heads just sitting collecting dust..
KillerStang91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerStang91 View Post
Thanks for the info, but I was thinking since I already have the heads and all timing accessories, porting I was planning on doing myself, I I was thinking that by changing, gears to 4.10, getting tuner and maybe even a 2step I would be able to balance out the torque loss, while increasing high end power with the swap.and maybe eventually either turbo or supercharger, I was thinking that for the gain it would be worth it. Especially since I have the cobra heads just sitting collecting dust..
Well your main concern would be swapping pistons then because those 3v pistons would make contact with the valves. Honestly I would go to a lightning website or maybe svt performance and sell the 4v set up for 1.5-2k and put that towards your 3v heads. If it makes you feel any better I know of a guy personally who has a 3v with a MMR motor and custom ground turbo cams making well over 1000rwhp on a 76mm turbo. But if you're set on 4v, it's definitely possible. Would be really cool at car shows too! Hope that helps
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT