Switched from Poly to Spherical LCAs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Switched from Poly to Spherical LCAs

A little bit of background and my current setup:

I've been running the below setup for a while now, and it's worked very well except for one issue. I could not get the rear end to behave properly when under lateral loads (hard cornering).
  • Koni Yellow/Sport Struts/Shocks
  • FRPP/GT500 Strut Mounts
  • Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
  • BMR Tubular K-Member
  • BMR A-arm Brace
  • Eibach Adjustable (F&R) Swaybars
  • UPR Pro Series Double Adjustable UCA & Mount
  • UPR Billet LCAs
  • UPR Pro Street Double Adjustable Panhard Bar
  • BMR LCA Relocation Brackets

I knew it all along, but I finally came to terms with the fact that the only way to fix this was to eliminate some of the poly bushings that were binding up. Everyone told me not to do it, that rod ends only belong on race cars and they will be way too loud on the street. I'm here to tell you this is just not true!

I installed my UCA with no additional lubrication, and got a little bit of noise out of it, but you would only hear it with the windows up and the radio off ... so never. Here's a short video I made, babying the exhaust so that it wouldn't drown out the noise.

Going into the LCA install, I prepared for this amount of noise to triple, but I spoke with Sharad at UPR and he recommended using a dry lube with PTFE/Teflon in it as a lubricant. This will keep the rod ends lubricated, but will not attract dirt, debris, or moisture. I found this at Autozone for about $6:

Liquid Wrench | Products

I completely soaked all the rod ends in this stuff, and afterwards I have virtually zero noise from them. I purposely made them articulate with the windows up and the stereo off and could not hear a thing. I think I heard the slightest noise when getting out of the car, but I can't even be sure it was one of the control arms. I'll make a follow-up video soon and post it here.

Even better news was the dramatic difference when putting the car under high lateral loads. The binding and snap oversteer that I had learned to "drive around" were completely gone, and the entire suspension was articulating smoothly.

Bottom line - if you plan on pushing the car hard through corners and dont mind a bit more NVH and having to occasionally lubricate the rod ends, definitely choose them over all poly bushings. Here are links to the exact arms I'm running now if anyone is interested.

UCA/Mount
11-14 Mustang Pro Series Double Adj Upper Arm & Mount

LCAs
05-14 Mustang Pro Street Chrome Moly Double Adj Lower Arms
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Good info, thanks! Cant go wrong with any UPR product either, they make great stuff. Im actually thinking about trying that UCA and mount. Cant decide if I want that, or to stick with BMR.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Good info, thanks! Cant go wrong with any UPR product either, they make great stuff. Im actually thinking about trying that UCA and mount. Cant decide if I want that, or to stick with BMR.
I haven't put a UPR product on my car that I haven't liked yet. My only gripe is that the PHB isn't on-car-adjustable, but that is a pretty minor issue since you really only adjust it once.
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post

I haven't put a UPR product on my car that I haven't liked yet. My only gripe is that the PHB isn't on-car-adjustable, but that is a pretty minor issue since you really only adjust it once.
Yeah that wouldn't bother me at all. I haven't had any UPR stuff on my 5.0, but i had all UPR products on my ls1 camaro. Never had a single issue, and i was making close to 600whp on a 125 shot.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Outstanding writeup and good info. It's so nice to see someone on here that actually did something and reported back instead of the usual, "thinking about doing this" " what sounds better" "this vs that" threads.
BlackBetty5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
UPR has a niiice booth at Mustang Week this year.
Mod List: H&R Super Sport Springs, Eibach Camber Bolts, Steeda Panhard Bar, BBK Cold Air Intake, Stack Racing Chrome Strut Tower Bar, Boss 302 Coil Pack Covers, Barton Shifter, Barton 2 Post Bracket, 4.10 Gear, 2013 Track Pack Wheels, QA1 Single Adjustable Rear Shocks, Roush Axle-back exhaust, CDC Chin Spoiler, Saleen Grille,
Defiant 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant 5.0 View Post
UPR has a niiice booth at Mustang Week this year.
They usually have really good show only pricing too

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT