Best CAI/Tune combo - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Best CAI/Tune combo

I know There are some good ones out there....but just to get some opinions here on M.E....what are your top 3 choices: best CAI/Tune combo for '12 GT manual?...
Stangin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin87 View Post
I know There are some good ones out there....but just to get some opinions here on M.E....what are your top 3 choices: best CAI/Tune combo for '12 GT manual?...
CAI is kinda personal preference. They all do the same thing, which is almost nothing. Where the difference is, is in the tune. Ive heard very good things about the VMP tunes.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Is the search button not working? I think there's what, already hundreds of threads/opinions on this?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Is the search button not working? I think there's what, already hundreds of threads/opinions on this?
I feel your pain. I feel my first post in every thread nowadays mentions the search button to the OP... But nobody listens... So i just quit trying.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 07-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
There should be a sticky to prompt new members to prompt them to use the search feature
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
There should be a sticky to prompt new members to prompt them to use the search feature
+1000
Old 07-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
It wouldn't do any good. Look at all the plastic dip threads, I thought we all learned to finger paint in kindergarten.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
It wouldn't do any good. Look at all the plastic dip threads, I thought we all learned to finger paint in kindergarten.
What's plasti dip?

Lol...!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

steeda cai and vmp tune
chefron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Hope this aint a dumb question and yes I've tried searching.i know ford can tell if there was a tune.but can they tell when the tune was put in?
Torchred2010gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
BBK CAI and Bama Tune from AM, friend of mine has one, his car is like 2000 times better
sebasflorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchred2010gt View Post
Hope this aint a dumb question and yes I've tried searching.i know ford can tell if there was a tune.but can they tell when the tune was put in?
We can tell when the PCM was flashed last and how many times. So in a sense yes. To answer the OP I would try to find a reputable shop that has done several custom tunes on the new mustang and stick with that. You will usually yield better results and is typically safer....
Twisted 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted 13 View Post
We can tell when the PCM was flashed last and how many times. So in a sense yes. To answer the OP I would try to find a reputable shop that has done several custom tunes on the new mustang and stick with that. You will usually yield better results and is typically safer....
Well thanks for the answer.still haven't put a tune but just wasnt sure if they could tell when.but thanks for the answer

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted 13 View Post
And I'm guessing you work for ford as well huh ha?
Torchred2010gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
I feel your pain. I feel my first post in every thread nowadays mentions the search button to the OP... But nobody listens... So i just quit trying.
Quote:
Quote:
+1000
Quote:
The irony is that ppl take time to be dismissive of others, but don't take the same effort to be helpful. The same energy used to say go here look here or to be sarcastic is the same amount of energy it takes to answer someone's question. You clicked on the topic and chose to reply; no one put a gun to your head. Have you ever stopped to think that maybe someone wants their own thread, rather than read months of old post? What if a new trend has emerged or a new opinion is formed, why not start a new thread. The purpose of a support forum is to be helpful and welcome people who are here to learn, not to ridicule them and be dismissive because it may turn them away from the site all together. ~ My Opinion~

Now as for my opinion of the question. You have to look at the bigger picture. If you are planning a series of Mods. It's better to plan ahead so that you spend your money wisely and effectively. What are your over all concerns and desired effect. Are you worried about your warranty are you looking for daily driver or track/strip car. Are you looking for gains and HP?
Jedimindtricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:06 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Bama tunes are safe tunes. But if your looking for more power from a tune I'd go VMP,BBR,AED,BRENSPEED.
I'm running a bama tune with an airaid cai and steeda cat deletes. The "canned" tune I got on the tuner runs OK. I tried to log it and get a better running revision but no luck yet. I've had about 10 revisions from bama in the last few weeks an NONE of which run rite! They either had horrible drivability or PINGED!
Just remember when it comes to your car you get what you pay for!!!
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:29 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimindtricks View Post

The irony is that ppl take time to be dismissive of others, but don't take the same effort to be helpful. The same energy used to say go here look here or to be sarcastic is the same amount of energy it takes to answer someone's question. You clicked on the topic and chose to reply; no one put a gun to your head. Have you ever stopped to think that maybe someone wants their own thread, rather than read months of old post? What if a new trend has emerged or a new opinion is formed, why not start a new thread. The purpose of a support forum is to be helpful and welcome people who are here to learn, not to ridicule them and be dismissive because it may turn them away from the site all together. ~ My Opinion~

Now as for my opinion of the question. You have to look at the bigger picture. If you are planning a series of Mods. It's better to plan ahead so that you spend your money wisely and effectively. What are your over all concerns and desired effect. Are you worried about your warranty are you looking for daily driver or track/strip car. Are you looking for gains and HP?
Between all those people that you quoted, you have over 4,000 posts combined..... Dont you think we have helped plenty of people in the past?? How many of them do you think were about a cai/tune or exhaust questions? The answer is alot. We are not being dismissive. The simple fact is that these same exact questions have literally been answered a hundred times, and thats the very reason the developers of this site, and any other forum, have included a search button. We are simply trying to remind people that such a tool exists, as it is not necessary to repeat ourselves over and over, and prevent the thread board to have 4 open threads on the same topic! If you need help ask, but 80% of the questions can be answered by a simple search. If you cant find the info you need then post, I, and im sure the rest of us will all GLADLY help the best we can.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:47 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks lol.... And yes I'm planning a series of mods...I'm not worried about the warranty anymore since I'm looking for some HP gains and it will definitely be my daily driver.

---------- Post added at 05:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddinn25 View Post
Bama tunes are safe tunes. But if your looking for more power from a tune I'd go VMP,BBR,AED,BRENSPEED.
I'm running a bama tune with an airaid cai and steeda cat deletes. The "canned" tune I got on the tuner runs OK. I tried to log it and get a better running revision but no luck yet. I've had about 10 revisions from bama in the last few weeks an NONE of which run rite! They either had horrible drivability or PINGED!
Just remember when it comes to your car you get what you pay for!!!
Safe tunes are def important and are a priority to me...but I'm looking for a set up that's safe, reliable and adds HP all at the sane time
Stangin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:58 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Then a dyno tune is your best bet then. Depends on how deep your pockets are too. For email/remote tune Shaun @ AED is probable the best in the bizz! You want to factor drivability in the equation if you plan on driving the car on the street at all.
I don't know what happened with bama and my tunes? I think things got off on the wrong foot from the get go? I was running the 93H tune. It ran good and had good drivability but was down on power slightly. I logged it and sent it in. They acted like it was no big deal at all. That's when the problems started. As of rite now I don't think they can help me anymore? I can't keep TRYING different tunes to see what works and what doesn't! After 10 tries you would think it would work? I've sent in about 4 or 5 data logs! I've offered to start over from scratch with this 93R tune I am running but that's it! I DO NOT want another tune that PINGS! And no there's nothing wrong with my car! It runs fine stock and on the original canned tunes! It's there revisions that are jacked up!
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
Old 07-25-2013, 05:10 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Between all those people that you quoted, you have over 4,000 posts combined..... Dont you think we have helped plenty of people in the past?? How many of them do you think were about a cai/tune or exhaust questions? The answer is alot. We are not being dismissive. The simple fact is that these same exact questions have literally been answered a hundred times, and thats the very reason the developers of this site, and any other forum, have included a search button. We are simply trying to remind people that such a tool exists, as it is not necessary to repeat ourselves over and over, and prevent the thread board to have 4 open threads on the same topic! If you need help ask, but 80% of the questions can be answered by a simple search. If you cant find the info you need then post, I, and im sure the rest of us will all GLADLY help the best we can.
I'm not going to go back an forth with you to argue a point on a forum. Sarcasm is sarcasm. Don't get all butt hurt that I called people out. It's rude to be like that to people who are new to the forum. It could have been more productive to answer the question and point them to other post. What you posted wasn't all that bad, but you co-signed the other comment. It's just as easy to not say anything as it is to make remarks that are not helpful. The same amount of time it took you to write off subject you could have made a reply. Who cares how many times a question is asked or answered. If that was the case you could send people to Google or the yellow pages to thier local car shop etc... People come to a forum to ask questions because they don't know and are looking for advice. They don't come to a forum to search a question they may have. There are people of all ages skills and experience on here, ignorance is bliss to a lot of them. I'm sure you have been helpful. I am sure that you have laughed a few times at post; much like myself. You took the time to click on a new thread that has the a similar title as a 100 others, and you chose to reply. You probably think who gives a *****, but we're all mustang owners enthusiast on here and we should be more supportive to each other even if it's 4,000 post later. No hard feelins.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:24 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Nobody got butt hurt trust me, you dont hurt my feelings, but i really dont see how we are the bad guys here. Its a forum. There are rules here, just like any other place. Theres a search button for a reason, and obviously most new members dont know about it, so we are simply helping and informing them that its there. And like you said, isnt that what we are here for? To help other people? I know personally when i need an answer to a question, i prefer to get my answer sooner than later, and hey, guess what, thats what i use the search bar for, or yes, even google!
Im not trying to argue either, just proving a point that we are not coming off as rude, but simply trying to help the OP by spreading the word about forum tools available.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:25 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin87 View Post
Thanks lol.... And yes I'm planning a series of mods...I'm not worried about the warranty anymore since I'm looking for some HP gains and it will definitely be my daily driver.

---------- Post added at 05:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 AM ----------

Safe tunes are def important and are a priority to me...but I'm looking for a set up that's safe, reliable and adds HP all at the sane time
Most of the more commercial tunes are going to be safe (Tame), and if your warranty is not an issue (Use aggressive Tuning). I agree with other post that say it's all about what brand you prefer. Only so much Air is coming through the CAI. Throttle Body is a must upgrade because it will help with Airflow as well. Most newer cars are setup from the factory well so the tune is the more vital issue. If you purchase a tune for life package you can always change it up as you add headers and exhaust / X-pipe etc. People will swear by the Dyno and people will always have opinions, it always comes down to your budget and knowing who you’re working with. American Muscle and Late Model are very dependable sites and have great customer service. If you’re like me; you call and talk to people and see how helpful they are first. If you go to a local guy for a tune make sure you get references or know their history.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:29 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Most of the more commercial tunes are going to be safe (Tame), and if your warranty is not an issue (Use aggressive Tuning). I agree with other post that say it's all about what brand you prefer. Only so much Air is coming through the CAI. Throttle Body is a must upgrade because it will help with Airflow as well. Most newer cars are setup from the factory well so the tune is the more vital issue. If you purchase a tune for life package you can always change it up as you add headers and exhaust / X-pipe etc. People will swear by the Dyno and people will always have opinions, it always comes down to your budget and knowing who you’re working with. American Muscle and Late Model are very dependable sites and have great customer service. If you’re like me; you call and talk to people and see how helpful they are first. If you go to a local guy for a tune make sure you get references or know their history.
Agree with everything but the throttle body. Putting a bigger throttle body on a bolt on car is pointless. You only need to upgrade it you are making crazy hp. Almost everybody on here making under 650whp is still running the stock TB.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't know this was a d!ck measuring contest? The bench racers are rollin deep up in herrrr!! Lol here's a thought? Lets help the OP make a good decision and give him some REAL advise about his car!
I asked the same questions when I first started modding s197's. I went with what a lot of ppl said was good and guess what? It WAS FAR FROM GOOD and almost trashed a new motor!
Take my advise and go with the guys who have been doing this a wile and have creditable experience! Facts, stats, pics, time slips, REAL INFO! Not word of mouth and he said she said BS!
If your taking advise from a guy who's NEVER built a car or even tuned/worked on one until these new 5.0's came out then your more than likely going to have issues? You need a solid background in knowledge AND experience to do it write and succeed!
Anyone can make these 5.0's fast! It's not hard! Specially if you have deep pockets which I do not. If your paying a guy to do all your work then I want to talk to and take advise from YOUR GUY and not you. He's the brains! Your just the bank
HAPPY TUNING!!
Old 07-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I didn't know this was a d!ck measuring contest? The bench racers are rollin deep up in herrrr!! Lol here's a thought? Lets help the OP make a good decision and give him some REAL advise about his car!
I asked the same questions when I first started modding s197's. I went with what a lot of ppl said was good and guess what? It WAS FAR FROM GOOD and almost trashed a new motor!
Take my advise and go with the guys who have been doing this a wile and have creditable experience! Facts, stats, pics, time slips, REAL INFO! Not word of mouth and he said she said BS!
If your taking advise from a guy who's NEVER built a car or even tuned/worked on one until these new 5.0's came out then your more than likely going to have issues? You need a solid background in knowledge AND experience to do it write and succeed!
Anyone can make these 5.0's fast! It's not hard! Specially if you have deep pockets which I do not. If your paying a guy to do all your work then I want to talk to and take advise from YOUR GUY and not you. He's the brains! Your just the bank
HAPPY TUNING!!
Bench racers? whatever you say man.

The main tuners for the 5.0s are all very reputable. Bama, VMP, and Brenspeed are all safe tunes for a bolt on car. There are not many people out there having problems with any of these tunes, MOST (not all, most) problems are related to the SCT device. Obviously there will be mistakes made, and cars that dont react well. Thats the risk you take with tuning, or modding in general. These guys tune thousands of cars, and its only human that a problem surfaces once and awhile. You just need to stick with the pros, and a company that is willing to stand behind their work and get it taken care of if a problem does occur.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Agree with everything but the throttle body. Putting a bigger throttle body on a bolt on car is pointless. You only need to upgrade it you are making crazy hp. Almost everybody on here making under 650whp is still running the stock TB.
True I agree with what you said, that's why I said most newer cars come from the factory setup well and the tune is more vital. I think people over estimate the value of adding upgrades such as a CAI. Small bump in performance and cosmeticly pleasing at a low cost. Most people buy what they can afford right away or what changes the looks of the car, Very few people who are new to performance cars come in with a plan. It's hard to save up a large amoung and do it all at one time vice paying more over time with repeat labor charges. One of the few things I have in my favor is on Army Bases stateside you always have unlimited access to a Auto Craft shops that has lifts and power tools and pretty knowledgable ppl. However when I was in Germany it was impossible to work on my 2008 GT becasue it's difficult to pass registration with a Modified Car; the germany laws and you don't have the access to shops etc. at an affordable cost.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I've had both! Issues with the SCT device AND the tunes! I have to have a jump box or trickle charger hook up to the battery to be able to load tunes. If not the download fails and my ECU gets bricked. It's of my understanding its a SCT firmware related issue.
Second are my tune revision. Of the 10 I've gotten in the last few weeks ALL 10 have had problems! The only tunes that run ok are the "canned" tunes that came loaded on the device when I ordered it from AM/bama. Yes not all car are created equal! But that's the whole point of data logging. There no reason that a car can't be correctly tuned to optimize drivability, performance, and economy unless 1 there's a mechanical/electrical issue with the vehicle. Which to a tuner trained eye should be able to spot on the data log.
Bama will get you a good safe tune that will get you down the road but if your looking for more then I suggest getting out your piggy bank and forking out REAL $$ for either a dyno tune or someone like AED, BRENSPEED, VMP, BBR.
I'm running a tune that is the definition of "canned" tune. It's a 93R tune set up for o/r exhaust and a cai. You CANNOT convince me there's nothing left on the table as far as performance/HP/TQ with this set up!
Yes no 2 cars are identical but in all reality there not much different at all in stock form
Old 07-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've had both! Issues with the SCT device AND the tunes! I have to have a jump box or trickle charger hook up to the battery to be able to load tunes. If not the download fails and my ECU gets bricked. It's of my understanding its a SCT firmware related issue.
Second are my tune revision. Of the 10 I've gotten in the last few weeks ALL 10 have had problems! The only tunes that run ok are the "canned" tunes that came loaded on the device when I ordered it from AM/bama. Yes not all car are created equal! But that's the whole point of data logging. There no reason that a car can't be correctly tuned to optimize drivability, performance, and economy unless 1 there's a mechanical/electrical issue with the vehicle. Which to a tuner trained eye should be able to spot on the data log.
Bama will get you a good safe tune that will get you down the road but if your looking for more then I suggest getting out your piggy bank and forking out REAL $$ for either a dyno tune or someone like AED, BRENSPEED, VMP, BBR.
I'm running a tune that is the definition of "canned" tune. It's a 93R tune set up for o/r exhaust and a cai. You CANNOT convince me there's nothing left on the table as far as performance/HP/TQ with this set up!
Yes no 2 cars are identical but in all reality there not much different at all in stock form
I noticed you mentioned BBR, they couldn't tune a piano. After 3mon and letting them talk me into a new battery, they finally got the cel to stay off.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I noticed you mentioned BBR, they couldn't tune a piano. After 3mon and letting them talk me into a new battery, they finally got the cel to stay off.
Ive heard pretty bad things about BBR as well. When i finally decide to tune it will be between bama, VMP or brenspeed
Old 07-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ive heard pretty bad things about BBR as well. When i finally decide to tune it will be between bama, VMP or brenspeed
I will say, once they got it right, the tune was badass. But due to their and LMR customer service, I'll never use them again.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:37 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

All I know Is the 10 revisions I've gotten from bama so far don't run rite. Monday I'm pulling the plugs and running a camera into the combustion chamber to see what damage the detonation has caused? I was able to catch the noise on a data log but was by my self in the car and could not look over to see if timing was being pulled.When I asked the bama tech if he could see In the log if timing was being pulled he couldn't tell me. It's of my understanding these cars should not have an audible ping unless the torque management tables are jacked up.?.
If I would have continued running the car with it pining like that I surely would have busted a piston or blown a head gasket or something!?
At this point it's 1 of 2 possible things?
1 the tunes are JACKED
2 something is happening to the files when they are being transferred from my e mail, to my PC, to the device, to the car?
I'm leaning towards #1!?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT