Blackened Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Blackened Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips

We have been DeChroming my son's GT since we bought it. Now, the ONLY chrome is the GT in the middle of the faux gas cap as well as the lug nuts......(which are about to be black chrome)
I do a lot of golf club customization and routinely black oxide putters as well as having a chemical blackener for Stainless Steel. It is sold by a company called Caswell Plating. We were plasti-dipping the gas cap and I looked a the exhaust tips. My son asked if we could blacken them like I do putters. No problem......
Here are before and after pics of the exhaust tips.
It still shows the etching on the sides as well as keeps a slightly brushed look, but it is a darkened Stainless steel. Only took 5 min per side and will look better over time.

2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
This was a awesome idea! Never crossed my mind but I knew of the process, lol. I'm totally doing this now. Thanks for the write up and picks.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

No prob SmO

Here is a link of the solution that I used. I use it all of the time on stainless steel putters and golf clubs.

Stainless Steel Blackener - 8 fl oz - Metal Finishing Solutions - Caswell Inc

Very easy to use, I use small piece of super fine scotchbrite pad and a plastic catch pan beneath the pipe. Very gently rub the pipe with the solution dipping the pad in it constantly. Lightly cover the area until it gets to the right darkness for you. Quickly wipe it dry when it gets to the tone you want and then lightly oil it only once with oil. Over time, it will patina a bit darker. If you ever want to go back to Stainless, just rub with a steel wool and it will be back to standard stainless steel.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: California
I like that old school stang in the back looks very nice...
PonyBoy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I envy your son lol. Beautiful cars. That car in the background looks amazing.

Im definitely going to look into this as well, looks a thousand times better then plasti dip. My father is a huge golfer, and hes had some stuff done with this as well, but it never even crossed my mind to use it on exhaust tips. Excellent idea.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
No prob SmO

Here is a link of the solution that I used. I use it all of the time on stainless steel putters and golf clubs.

Stainless Steel Blackener - 8 fl oz - Metal Finishing Solutions - Caswell Inc

Very easy to use, I use small piece of super fine scotchbrite pad and a plastic catch pan beneath the pipe. Very gently rub the pipe with the solution dipping the pad in it constantly. Lightly cover the area until it gets to the right darkness for you. Quickly wipe it dry when it gets to the tone you want and then lightly oil it only once with oil. Over time, it will patina a bit darker. If you ever want to go back to Stainless, just rub with a steel wool and it will be back to standard stainless steel.
What exhaust is that?
Coleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Hmm...I was going to have mine ceramic coated. I might just try this instead.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Wow!! Both cars are beautiful!!!
Old 07-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
We have been DeChroming my son's GT since we bought it. Now, the ONLY chrome is the GT in the middle of the faux gas cap as well as the lug nuts......(which are about to be black chrome)
I do a lot of golf club customization and routinely black oxide putters as well as having a chemical blackener for Stainless Steel. It is sold by a company called Caswell Plating. We were plasti-dipping the gas cap and I looked a the exhaust tips. My son asked if we could blacken them like I do putters. No problem......
Here are before and after pics of the exhaust tips.
It still shows the etching on the sides as well as keeps a slightly brushed look, but it is a darkened Stainless steel. Only took 5 min per side and will look better over time.
Lets see some pics of thy sweet old girl in the back ground
Durnstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

How do you guys think these would look black? And how hard would it be to use this chemical on it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3530586510.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	652.5 KB
ID:	119785
Old 07-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What exhaust is that?
Magnaflow Black Cat Back

Quote:
Lets see some pics of thy sweet old girl in the back ground
DurnStang, there are some pics of his restomod in my photo album. I am keeping that car here while he is heading off to school next month. Plan is for him to always keep that car since it was his first car and one that he spent a LOT of sweat working on and building.

It is easy Adogg. If you dont like the look, simply steel wool the finish off. It works on Stainless Steel, not chrome. The solution is a dip, but if you use the finest scotch brite pad you can find, and just like I stated above, gently rub the solution over the stainless steel and catching the over spill below. You even the finish out by rubbing lightly. Once it is as dark as you want, wipe clean with a paper towel and seal it with an oil. You only need to seal it once really.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It is easy Adogg. If you dont like the look, simply steel wool the finish off. It works on Stainless Steel, not chrome. The solution is a dip, but if you use the finest scotch brite pad you can find, and just like I stated above, gently rub the solution over the stainless steel and catching the over spill below. You even the finish out by rubbing lightly. Once it is as dark as you want, wipe clean with a paper towel and seal it with an oil. You only need to seal it once really.
I might have to try this!! I am very interested in things like this. How harmful is this chemical, will I need gloves or anything, and I also have a few animals.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How harmful is this chemical, will I need gloves or anything, and I also have a few animals.
It is a mildly acidic solution. Wear any thin latex or nitrile glove. Though not recommended, I have worked with no gloves on some putter heads. It isnt strong enough to burn your skin, but it does have a weird odor. It is reusable too. I have quarts of it and use it full strength and have used it hundreds of times.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
What kind of oil do you wipe it down with afterwards?
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg View Post

I might have to try this!! I am very interested in things like this. How harmful is this chemical, will I need gloves or anything, and I also have a few animals.
Thank you very much sir. How much do you think I will need to do both of my exhaust tips?
Old 07-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What kind of oil do you wipe it down with afterwards?
I actually use blue 4 stroke oil. They sell a "sealer" that is a thin oil/penetrating oil, but it is not necessary. Any 4 stroke oil OR just a synthetic oil will work fine. It just stops the oxidation process

Quote:
How much do you think I will need to do both of my exhaust tips?
That 8 oz will be enough if you catch it when you are swabbing the exhaust. Just catch it below in a big plastic container and pour it back into a container you are swabbing out of. It will easily do both and you will still have the solution left to do any other stainless you want.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Great idea,best part is nothing has to come off.I was going to powdercoat but this is even better.
chefron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

They look good with the car now. I like them once the oil has dried and they have that hot look too them. Got his plates yesterday, but these will only be on a week as he has a 5.OSU plate coming in black/white letters.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust