'13 GT500 Exterior Upgrade Poll - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

View Poll Results: OEM Black Plastic or Carbon Fiber
OEM Black Plastic Pieces 7 63.64%
Carbon Fiber Pieces 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackal43x Send a message via Skype™ to Jackal43x
'13 GT500 Exterior Upgrade Poll

Hey everyone I am upgrading my GT to have the '13 GT500 Front Bumper and Rear Lower Fascia and I am curious as to your opinions on whether I should stick with the flat black plastic for the grilles, chin spoilers, valances, hood vents and splitters or should I go with Carbon Fiber for all. My color scheme thus far is Primary Gloss Black, Secondary Matte Black for my stripes and Tertiary (3rd) is Deep Impact Blue. All opinions help me out a lot. And no price really isn't a problem in regards to the carbon fiber, just want the best look.
Jackal43x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Cf

---------- Post added at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 AM ----------

Try to make it all mesh though. Cant have to much going on then it doesn't look as good
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Cf

---------- Post added at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 AM ----------

Try to make it all mesh though. Cant have to much going on then it doesn't look as good
So the completed product Carbon Fiber wise would only include the Hood Vents, '13 GT 500 upper and lower grilles, the (2) chin spoilers, side skirts and '13 GT 500 lower valence. Also considering changing my "mudflaps" to CF as well. Does that sound like it would mesh well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 12:17 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal43x View Post

So the completed product Carbon Fiber wise would only include the Hood Vents, '13 GT 500 upper and lower grilles, the (2) chin spoilers, side skirts and '13 GT 500 lower valence. Also considering changing my "mudflaps" to CF as well. Does that sound like it would mesh well?
I think so if you do it all, don't do just half.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
I think so if you do it all, don't do just half.
I appreciate the feedback! It's really what I have been leaning towards. Not too much CF to be considered ricey or tacky. At least that has been my thought!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Cf is also lighter but strong which is another plus.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Cf is also lighter but strong which is another plus.
Yea another reason I am leaning towards it. I am getting a CF drive-shaft down the road for that very reason. Any care instructions for CF, should I get it clear coated before installing it?
Old 07-22-2013, 01:08 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

It's best to have it cleared so it doesn't yellow. Make sure the shop has done cf before, there is a process to the prep work.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:11 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
It's best to have it cleared so it doesn't yellow. Make sure the shop has done cf before, there is a process to the prep work.
Will do thank you! I think its a made decision then, I can't wait til its finally done! It's in the shop now for all the paint and body work other than the CF stuff I have yet to order. I can't wait to post pics. I think this forum will be thoroughly impressed with the outcome!
Old 07-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #10
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I'd prefer all matte black pieces. When the sun gets to them and they start to fade and look dingy, a bottle of Meguiars back to black would get it looking like new.

Carbon fiber parts usually already have a clear coat on them. My hood did, it had some areas where coverage wasn't that great so I had it re cleared. It's been almost a year and its starting to look hazy. I'm gonna have to pay to have it stripped down and re gel coated again. There is a little more work involved to maintain carbon fiber but it does look sharp.

Also, my car sits in the sun 365 days a year in south texas. I imagine that would accelerate the deterioration of my hoods finish. If yours is garage kept, it should be fine for years.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:38 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
I'd prefer all matte black pieces. When the sun gets to them and they start to fade and look dingy, a bottle of Meguiars back to black would get it looking like new.

Carbon fiber parts usually already have a clear coat on them. My hood did, it had some areas where coverage wasn't that great so I had it re cleared. It's been almost a year and its starting to look hazy. I'm gonna have to pay to have it stripped down and re gel coated again. There is a little more work involved to maintain carbon fiber but it does look sharp.

Also, my car sits in the sun 365 days a year in south texas. I imagine that would accelerate the deterioration of my hoods finish. If yours is garage kept, it should be fine for years.
Thanks primer! I'm going to call the manufacturer tomorrow and see how their parts are finished before sale to get a good idea of how much I have to fork out to get a clear or gel coat. But yes my car has been garage kept and car covered if parked for extended periods of time (i.e. work) its whole life with me lol

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

Hell my whole reason for looking into CF was because the factory upper GT 500 grille has the snake emblem built in and I'm not going to pretend it's a Cobra lol.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:26 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

We bought components from TruCarbon for my son's '13 GT which are AWESOME. The quality is unreal. No need to clear, as they already have a super clear gloss gel coat and clear coat. We bought the GT500 rear spoiler and it is stunning. We went with the OEM Gurney flap from an SVT GT500 instead of the one TruCarbon sells. The 5.0 emblem is the only thing that is not real carbon fiber, it is a hydro carbon dipped emblem.

Lots of pics of the carbon in my photo album.

2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

AS said if you do CF do it tastefully and stick to the same look. I personally am not a fan of CF but these pieces here are incredible quality of Hydrocarbon. I plan to do few other things inside just so the flow is sweet but outside that I Doubt I would do it on exterior. But this is JMO man. GL!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	119838   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	119839  

2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Not a fan of that much CF. Doesnt look good IMHO
Old 07-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Matte black
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:19 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
AS said if you do CF do it tastefully and stick to the same look. I personally am not a fan of CF but these pieces here are incredible quality of Hydrocarbon. I plan to do few other things inside just so the flow is sweet but outside that I Doubt I would do it on exterior. But this is JMO man. GL!
where did you got the Carbon fiber dash at?
Mustang_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_96 View Post
where did you got the Carbon fiber dash at?
The dash pieces are still just the OEM for now. Now the stereo surround and center console was sent off to Bobby at S&H Performance and he Hydrocarbon them. These guys are a vendor who are in several areas. I want to pull the pieces along the dash and do next. It will be very unique and some serious quality work.
Make no mistake man. I am not even a big fan of CF or Hydrocarbon for the most part. I saw a Picture Jayman33 posted of it when he was selling his GT to buy the Boss and it just looked so Deep and clean. I never seen this done in a 11+ and took the plunge.

Jayman lives not all that far from me, so I rode over to see it and fell in love immediately. We BS'ed while swapping out at his crib.

Just a good exp. all around. For those who have bought or considered buying from "Hyperautomotive" I can tell ya this. He's a solid guy and just straight up good people.

Yeah man......I want to do some more pieces and I will have my interior almost perfect. Right now the MGW is priority. Actually getting over this surgery is!!
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT