2013 5.0 bama tuned high rpm noise. Ping? Rod? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
ddinn25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lebanon
Region: Ohio
Posts: 164
2013 5.0 bama tuned high rpm noise. Ping? Rod?

I apologize ahead of time if this is a repeat!
I have a 2013 5.0 manual that running on bama tunes. My only mods are an airaid cai, steeda cat deletes, and flowmaster ab's. I've recently logged the car and have gotten a few tune revisions to try out. The whole reason for logging is because the car just didn't pull or make the power that similar cars do with the same mods but different tuners. This is based off of real dyno runs and the good ol butt dyno. The first revision threw cat codes. My guess is they didn't turn off the rear o2's in the tune for my deletes even though they claimed it was set up for o/r exhaust? They sent another that ran really good but I started to notice a noise at about 4600rpm that went to the limiter (7200). I'm not for certain it's detonation or what?? The car did NOT do it stock or on the original "canned" tunes that came on the tuner. The 3rd revision had HORRIBLE drivability. Basically the rpm's stuck and the car would not decel.(yes I followed the procedure for idle/fuel trim re learn). The 4th ran good and pulled hard but that noise was back and would come and go. Again only at and above 4600rpm and at part throttle. It seemed to not be there when going WOT rite off the bat? The 5th tune supposedly had the fuel delivery changed to help if detonation occurred but all it did was slow the car down some and the noise was still present. I was able to log the car wile the noise was going on and send it in Sunday. I'm still waiting for a resolve as to if it can be seen or not in the log.?.
The tune I'm having the edit is there 93H tune. I tried a revised tune for 91 octane thinking I had bad gas but the noise was still there.
My fear is its detonation and damage is occuring? I'm almost pods utile it's tune related. Anyone herd of this or experienced this before?
__________________
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: California
Posts: 228
Ditch the canned tunes and get a real dyno tune

Stop beating around the bushes and hit up bob Kruger, John Lund or Shaun from AED
Mustang_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
ddinn25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lebanon
Region: Ohio
Posts: 164
I have actually contacted AED and am in the process of getting a log of my current tune over to them/him/Shaun. Just have to wait until I get back from my work trip. I do plan on dyno tuning but later down the road. I didn't see the need to dyno tune for a dang cai and deleted cats?? It shouldn't be this difficult! My canned tunes run fine! It's the revisions of my data logs that have issues! And that how AED writes te tunes correct? You log your current tune then he sends a base map to log.
I've been told over and over that because of the wide band o2's bama can tune just as good if not better than ANYONE else! But thus far all I have gotten is concern that my motor is being damaged!!
__________________
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: California
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddinn25 View Post
I have actually contacted AED and am in the process of getting a log of my current tune over to them/him/Shaun. Just have to wait until I get back from my work trip. I do plan on dyno tuning but later down the road. I didn't see the need to dyno tune for a dang cai and deleted cats?? It shouldn't be this difficult! My canned tunes run fine! It's the revisions of my data logs that have issues! And that how AED writes te tunes correct? You log your current tune then he sends a base map to log.
I've been told over and over that because of the wide band o2's bama can tune just as good if not better than ANYONE else! But thus far all I have gotten is concern that my motor is being damaged!!
Bama tunes are the best for safe online tunes, they are healthy and safe for the car
Now if u want to get the most power for car and all around power band, dyno tune is best because the logging of your car when hooked up to the computer they tweak it and revise the whole tune, equaling more power and prly more healthy for your car cause that tune is made specifically for your car and no other.
Mustang_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:50 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
ddinn25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lebanon
Region: Ohio
Posts: 164
Isn't this basically what bama and others are doing when they build a tune based off a data log? Dyno tuners using SCT to tune these mustangs are using the same live wire SCT software. I've read several stories were guys go to dyno tune and no changes are made because the "email tune" is spot on.?. Idk I know of a place in KY that will dyno tune me for 200$ since I have the xcal already. It's a 2 hr drive but clearly worth it I guess? At least that way I don't have to worry about files being corrupted?
__________________
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddinn25 View Post
I apologize ahead of time if this is a repeat!
I have a 2013 5.0 manual that running on bama tunes. My only mods are an airaid cai, steeda cat deletes, and flowmaster ab's. I've recently logged the car and have gotten a few tune revisions to try out. The whole reason for logging is because the car just didn't pull or make the power that similar cars do with the same mods but different tuners. This is based off of real dyno runs and the good ol butt dyno. The first revision threw cat codes. My guess is they didn't turn off the rear o2's in the tune for my deletes even though they claimed it was set up for o/r exhaust? They sent another that ran really good but I started to notice a noise at about 4600rpm that went to the limiter (7200). I'm not for certain it's detonation or what?? The car did NOT do it stock or on the original "canned" tunes that came on the tuner. The 3rd revision had HORRIBLE drivability. Basically the rpm's stuck and the car would not decel.(yes I followed the procedure for idle/fuel trim re learn). The 4th ran good and pulled hard but that noise was back and would come and go. Again only at and above 4600rpm and at part throttle. It seemed to not be there when going WOT rite off the bat? The 5th tune supposedly had the fuel delivery changed to help if detonation occurred but all it did was slow the car down some and the noise was still present. I was able to log the car wile the noise was going on and send it in Sunday. I'm still waiting for a resolve as to if it can be seen or not in the log.?.
The tune I'm having the edit is there 93H tune. I tried a revised tune for 91 octane thinking I had bad gas but the noise was still there.
My fear is its detonation and damage is occuring? I'm almost pods utile it's tune related. Anyone herd of this or experienced this before?
I'm really sorry to hear about the headache you've been going through with our tunes. This sounds very odd and we should have gotten you squared away by now, a bolt on 2011+ GT is a walk in the part for our tuning specialists!

We send out thousands of tunes and build them all from the ground up for your PCM code and your mods. They're not just "canned" tunes, they're built custom by our team, so every once in a while it's possible we mess one up! I have faith that we'll definitely get it straightened out for you, though! Please shoot me a PM with your order number included and I'll get you in direct contact with a Bama specialist.

Hang in there, we'll have you enjoying your tunes shortly!

-Dan
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
ddinn25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lebanon
Region: Ohio
Posts: 164
I've already sent you all my info on the allfordmustangs site. My user name is the same ddinn25.
I sent in a log Sunday night. Ryan emailed me yesterday and said he would be looking at it today. Still awaiting a response. It's nerve racking because I REALLY need to know if the car is pulling timing when the noise is going on to determine what the route cause is?!
I had Alex send me the same tune but in a 91 platform and the noise still occurred?
In the mean time I'm running the 93R tune that originally came on my x3 device when I ordered it. This 93R tune runs fine and doesn't make the noise. I'm going to stay with this tune for fear that damage to my motor may occur?
Tonight or tomorrow I'm going to pull my spark plugs and see what they look like? I'm REALLY hoping there not bad off?
__________________
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddinn25 View Post
I've already sent you all my info on the allfordmustangs site. My user name is the same ddinn25.
I sent in a log Sunday night. Ryan emailed me yesterday and said he would be looking at it today. Still awaiting a response. It's nerve racking because I REALLY need to know if the car is pulling timing when the noise is going on to determine what the route cause is?!
I had Alex send me the same tune but in a 91 platform and the noise still occurred?
In the mean time I'm running the 93R tune that originally came on my x3 device when I ordered it. This 93R tune runs fine and doesn't make the noise. I'm going to stay with this tune for fear that damage to my motor may occur?
Tonight or tomorrow I'm going to pull my spark plugs and see what they look like? I'm REALLY hoping there not bad off?
You're correct, sorry I didn't put the user names together! I was just looking to get you squared away as quickly as possible. I've just updated your account and notified Ryan, he's reviewing your Logs today and will be giving you a call shortly!

-Dan
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
ddinn25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lebanon
Region: Ohio
Posts: 164
Alright. Sounds good. Thanks for your help
__________________
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_5.0 View Post
Ditch the canned tunes and get a real dyno tune
Dyno tunes aren't that great either. Data logging on the street in real world conditions are the best.
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:52 AM   #11
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: California
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Dyno tunes aren't that great either. Data logging on the street in real world conditions are the best.
Ehhh, then not really a difference cause I've had both
Mustang_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
ddinn25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lebanon
Region: Ohio
Posts: 164
As stated before tuning my car even remotely should be a cake walk for anyone experience with these motors and the SCT software. A dyno tune would work obviously but to me seems like overkill?
I recently talked with Ryan from bama a bit about some possible issues and things to consider/check. He informed me that it looks as tho the car is not switching over to it WOT fuel tables at PART throttle (1/2-15/16) which it should at that high of an RPM and load. He made the changes to the tune and sent it over last night. Then a few hours later sent over another tune that has a few deg of timing pulled. I'm going to try them today when I get off work. I'll post my results.
I have 1 question for those familiar with these SCT devices, SCT software, and computers in general. Is it possible for the tune files to be corrupted when transferring them from my email, to my computer, to the device, then to the car?
Say the files are only partially saved. Will the device allow these partially saved files to be loaded on it then load those files on the car?
I need to rule this out as a possible issue! The software opens kind of slow on my PC but once its open runs fine. The files seem to transfer fine and I don't get any funky alarms or freezing.
Any help or info would be great!!
Sry for the long posts! I need to get to the bottom of this issue ASAP!
__________________
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
ddinn25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lebanon
Region: Ohio
Posts: 164
Revision 7 is a no go! Still makes the noise! Switched back to the original 93R and the car runs great! I'm staying with this until I get my AED tune. Thanks for the valiant effort bama but I'm throwing in the towel!
__________________
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_5.0 View Post
Ehhh, then not really a difference cause I've had both
You're saying you actually data logged your own tune on the street and it made no difference? Do you even know how?
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
ddinn25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lebanon
Region: Ohio
Posts: 164
Just had a nice talk with a buddy who runs a high 9 second vortech powered 2011 coyote. He's dyno tune by CRT in Norwalk oh. He know his stuff when it comes to these cars! He was explaining to me that the torque management is all screwed up in my tune. That's the ONLY way these cars can have an audible "ping" sound! And if I would have kept running the car like that I would have SURELY busted a piston!?
This CRAP ALWAYS happens to me! I traded my 2012 v6 stang in on this 5.0 not just because of the power but also be cause the damn thug was going through 2.5qrts of oil every 5,000 miles! POS! Ford said "that's normal"! I don't think so!
I've had close to 10 tune revisions in the last few weeks and NONE of which ran rite! Enough is enough!
Another perfect example of YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!
__________________
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



08:46 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.