Bad Smell in Reverse - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Bad Smell in Reverse

I have a 14' GT Manual and I notice a rotten egg like smell in reverse. It is particularly when I am backing into my garage. Does anyone else have this issue? I have been driving manuals for about five years so I don't think its my clutch.
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford302ize View Post
I have a 14' GT Manual and I notice a rotten egg like smell in reverse. It is particularly when I am backing into my garage. Does anyone else have this issue? I have been driving manuals for about five years so I don't think its my clutch.
That's un burnt fuel your smelling. It's probably normal. But you could have issues with your cats.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I'm sure this is after taking your car for a good run... When my car was new and I have it a GOOD run, it had a weird smell like that all the time... I always drive it like I stole it, that smell doesn't happen anymore... It's all part of the break-in phase, don't forget to keep your eye on the oil level too for at least the first 5k or so... After my first 5k, all noises and little issues are all gone
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
I'm sure this is after taking your car for a good run... When my car was new and I have it a GOOD run, it had a weird smell like that all the time... I always drive it like I stole it, that smell doesn't happen anymore... It's all part of the break-in phase, don't forget to keep your eye on the oil level too for at least the first 5k or so... After my first 5k, all noises and little issues are all gone
No I baby the car 99% of the time. I haven't even had it past 3,000 RPMs. But yeah it only has about 1,200 miles on it.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Febreeze clip on on your exhaust tip. Problem solved.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Run the car like it's meant to be run, you're actually hurting it from grannying it around like that.

Take the car out to a quiet spot, and do a bunch of full throttle runs with gradually increasing rpm, (ultimately to redline) and full decel after each one and there's yer break-in done, in less than an hour. Modern engines don't need much run-in time.

This is 30+ years of hotrodding cars and bikes talking to you.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post

This is 30+ years of hotrodding cars and bikes talking to you.
Are you the the big can of know it all from napa?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Whatever, pal, I've built engines, I know how they work. What he's doing isn't helping. The smell is generally incomplete combustion of fuel and a good ring seal is critical to that.

Hopefully it's just because everything is new and it'll dissipate with time, as sometimes happens but, what I suggested still won't hurt.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post

He's probably the most knowledgeable member on this forum, maybe instead of posting trash you should read what he says

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I had a funky smell with both my 2012 3.7L and 2013 5.0 mustangs. Thought it was the clutch as it would only occur after a good hard beating. I recently installed steeda cat delete pipes and the smell went away. It's more than likely the cats.?.
Drive the car like it was meant to be driven! These coyote motors LOVE the higher rpm's! Your over 1,000 miles so time to start tormenting the rear tires! And if all else fails you can take it back to ford and have them tell you there's nothing wrong with it!? Lol
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Modern catalytic converters are way more efficient than old ones but, the precipitating cause of smells is generally elsewhere, in the form of incomplete combustion. People who do a lot of short trips or low-load (freeway drone) driving find this issue more prevalent on their cars, as the cats don't temp up enough to fully light everything off and hence, you get hydrogen sulfide out the back, which is what's making the stink.

Go on a thrash and the increased flow tends to push out all this loaded up crap and you can get smells, too.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post

He's probably the most knowledgeable member on this forum, maybe instead of posting trash you should read what he says
+1000. ^^^^^^^
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post

I may be wrong, but I read this as a joke. I don't think it was meant negatively.

Back on topic, thanks for the info! A friend of mine just told me that his car was doing the same thing so ill pass the info on.
Uscgfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uscgfs View Post

I may be wrong, but I read this as a joke. I don't think it was meant negatively.

Back on topic, thanks for the info! A friend of mine just told me that his car was doing the same thing so ill pass the info on.
100 percent a joke. I'm sure he is extremely knowledgable, and I didn't mean that in a negative way. It just made me think of that commercial. I'm glad my two favorite fans decided to chime in though. Thanks grabber and smoz!

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Whatever, pal, I've built engines, I know how they work. What he's doing isn't helping. The smell is generally incomplete combustion of fuel and a good ring seal is critical to that.

Hopefully it's just because everything is new and it'll dissipate with time, as sometimes happens but, what I suggested still won't hurt.
I agree. If you notice, I was the first to chime in with the incomplete combustion idea. Didn't mean it negatively , I'm sure you know a lot, like that big can in the commercial. It just made me think of it that's all. Nothing negative was ment.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post

This post from you is trash. I helped the op out. But you didn't bother to read that did you?
Old 07-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
Quote:

Listen to this guy! I've seen him help alot of people on here including myself and I feel I know these cars pretty well and I'm still learn something new from him!! So just listen and learn!!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Whoa, everyone. I missed the joke because I don't live where you are so, I haven't seen the commercial you describe. I thought I was being trolled and I reacted as such. Sorry for the misunderstanding, Mikey.

Back to your normally scheduled program, already in progress.....
Old 07-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
Whoa, everyone. I missed the joke because I don't live where you are so, I haven't seen the commercial you describe. I thought I was being trolled and I reacted as such. Sorry for the misunderstanding, Mikey.

No problem at all. I'm glad you share your knowledge with people on hear. A lot of people just wait to troll people they don't like, or give recycled misinformation because they don't know any better. It's good to see people like you that can add value I this forum. Keep
It up!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Got yo back brotha!

ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:

Here's the commercial if you haven't googled it already. If you haven't seen it, it's worth the watch, pretty funny IMHO lol

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
Beat me to it >.<
Uscgfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

That's the funniest thing I've seen all day! Thanks for the cheer-up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT