K springs binding? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
K springs binding?

Ok I need some experts in suspension to chime in. I have k springs and on these springs, they come with the spring insulator sleeves on the second coil from the bottom. When I looked at the oem spring I noticed the sleeve was on the bottom where it met the strut. So I naturally think...I'm going to to
Move that to the bottom like the oem sleeve.

Well...I'm getting a squeak now with any suspension travel and it sounds like it might have to do with the coil springs binding. It almost sounds like someone is plucking a broken guitar string or something from inside the wheel well, which makes me think it has to do with the coil spring itself. From inside the car it sounds like a squeaky bushing. But I doubt it's a bushing. I can replicate by bouncing the car up and down, but not all the time. It vibrates the entire front end, so I know it has to have a lot of energy/pressure.

So...I'm starting to think that sleeve I mentioned earlier was actually supposed to be where it was on the 2nd coil, and maybe I should have also put a sleeve on the very bottom coil like the oem springs. I know that the second coil from the bottom is where the spring is the softest rate, which could cause binding I guess. But I don't know. Before I start buying new stuff and paying people to diagnose, I was hoping to here from k-spring owners and suspension experts. Thanks!
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Bump
Old 07-25-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
If you reused your stock upper strut mount, the sound is most likely what's making the creaking sound you hear. That was the case for me anyway. Does it make the sound more when you turn the wheel? That's when it was the worst for me.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 04:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
My rubber isolators are on the bottom coils. In fact the start a few inches up from the pocket on the spring perch of the strut on the spring. Did you re use the stock struts and strut mounts? How much do you spring drop the car? Does the noise come from both sides or just one? Does the front end make noise when you turn the steering wheel?
More than likely its the dang strut mounts? There POOP! One time use only. If your missing even 1 ball out of the bearing pack in the mount noise will occur. The spring rotates as it compresses. The only place it can rotate is at the upper mount. Pull the strut assembly out and have a look-se. Get you self some shocks/struts/strut mounts soon too
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Gt500 mounts. Only from passenger side. I do get popping when I turn the wheel, I installed the mounts arrow in to get less negative camber.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Your strut mounts are jacked up. The arrow should face out! The negative camber is NOT an issue! I'm at -1.9 with almost a 2in drop and have NO tire ware issues. Have to have a good alignment done. Also the gt500 mounts don't work with 2011-14 struts. There 05-10 spec. The strut shaft is a different size from 05-10 to 11-14. If camber is that big of a concern the get cc plates. But even then there not really needed unless you plan on adjusting camber for the track the changing it back for the street. I know guys running -2.5 deg of camber and don't have bad tire ware. It's all In the alignment
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT