2014 GT Axle Back - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
2014 GT Axle Back

I just picked up Mustang #3 (2014 GT w/track package) and to make it sound like the monster that it is. I have always gone with Flowmasters in the past. They don't seem to be as popular anymore, but you can't beat them for the price. They are deep and loud without that Camaro like rasp that I have seen everyone complain about with other axlebacks at similar prices, like Roush Axlebacks for example. I watched a YouTube video where the owner upgraded to those and UPR Xpipe and it sounded like a 90's Camaro. Loud and annoying. I wanted to vomit.

Anyways, I notice Flowmaster makes a few different ones for our cars. My 02 Mustang GT had just the 40 Series American Thunder Mufflers cut and welded in. They sounded incredible, awesome. Very Deep and much louder than stock.

I see the gold standard in here are the Borla S Axlebacks. Everyone who gives a description on them makes them sound just like the Flowmasters I had. I don't want to spend Borla money when Flowmaster money appears to be just as good. Has anyone heard both in person?

I searched around and got what info that I could. Those of you who own them please share your thoughts. How do they sound with other exhaust upgrades?????
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I personally love the sound of the S-Types. Favorite exhaust for the new 5.0's. they are worth the extra money 100%
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Borla sound great by themselves or with headers. Roush sound great if you plan on sticking with just the AB's. Kooks are fantastic quality but are a bit quieter.
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Flowmasters might sound great to you but they are going to have a horrible drone. Many people go with the Borlas and Roush because of the great sound and zero drone.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Not drone masters . I got a set in the garage the previous owner put on. Idk a fair price to put them up for because i didnt see any on craigslist to base a good price range
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:53 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I have the flowmaster American thunder classic axle backs. They sounded great before I took my cats out. Now there raspy and tin canny up in the higher rpm's. also flowmaster says there all SS. Yeah NO just the tips are stainless. For 400+$ I should have went with the roush or the SLP loud mouths

---------- Post added at 03:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 AM ----------

And they drone to the point that change rattles in my cup holders on a cold start
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #7

I have installed the Flowmaster American Thunder cat back system on my last two Mustangs, a 2010 and 2013 GT and have been very pleased. I get no droning at highway speeds and they are loud enough when you want them to be. Tame otherwise. On my 13, I started out with the Pypes pipe bomb kit and after 2 days of slumping in my seat while driving around, I pulled it off, returned it, and went back to the AT that sounded so good on my 2010 GT. Hope that helps.
BAS433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
I'm currently on my 5th set of axlebacks: stock, flow/dronemaster hushpowers, GT500's, Roush, now I have FRPP sport/Borla S-type, on my fifth try I finally found the perfect sound. They have zero drone, are GT500 quiet at idle and roush loud at wot. My SP LT's made them a little louder but gave a much more crisp and deep tone. Yea the FRPP sport/Borla S-type cost more but I spent more switching around than I would have in the first place.

Just my .02

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I just have the axle backs. I've herd the cat back systems do sound better? I'm looking to do a full kooks set up. From the motor back. Just have to make up my mind about what size headers to use? 1 7/8's or 1 3/4's?
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
Old 07-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the feedback fellas.

I never heard them called Dronemasters before but this is my first 5.0 and it's obviously diff from 4.6 and 3.7.

Anyone with Flowmaster Outlaws want to chime in?????
Old 07-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I love my roush axlebacks. They sound bad ***. But if I really wanted to drop big bucks I would of went with Borla S type.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddinn25 View Post
I just have the axle backs. I've herd the cat back systems do sound better? I'm looking to do a full kooks set up. From the motor back. Just have to make up my mind about what size headers to use? 1 7/8's or 1 3/4's?
1 7/8 if you plan on forced induction down the road. Otherwise go with 1 3/4, it is more than enough for NA applications.
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
striker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know, $760 for a set of axlebacks is waaaaay too much. You get what you pay. For but c'mon Borla. Lower the price on that. The badge says 5.0 not ///AMG. Give us a break. Lol

Flowmater Pro's? Anyone?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stallion 11 View Post
I don't know, $760 for a set of axlebacks is waaaaay too much. You get what you pay. For but c'mon Borla. Lower the price on that. The badge says 5.0 not ///AMG. Give us a break. Lol

Flowmater Pro's? Anyone?
If u are gonna do Borla u need to go catback. ...Borla catback is gonna cost u big buckos. Im not a fan of flowmasters :/
Old 07-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I will eventually go with a full exhaust setup, so raspy axlebacks aren't ideal for me.

Here is my other issue. I went from a fully loaded up 3.7 to a bare bones 5.0 ( track pack). I was able to salvage a few interior dress up items, window louvers, and AM wheels from the traded in 3.7, but I am not happy with cloth seats and crap stereo. I have quite a few cosmetic upgrades to make before I get to any real perf parts, but I would like to have it sounding like a Mustang. I have to consider going with a cheaper set of axlebacks for now.

What's good under $500 or even $450 that deep,low, and loud? Without rasp or a ton of drone? Roush?

Speaking of overpriced parts, I wasn't able to grab a Mustang with the Recaro's with the deal. I see many places that sell them for $3k but they are only a $1600 option from Ford. Why? Has anyone tried to order the track pack Recaro's from Ford for that price? Anyone seen them reasonably priced anywhere? I want them bad but $3k for a pair of cloth Mustang seats is just retarted. Ran a search and didn't really see too much about it. Any info you got is appreciated.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I will eventually go with a full exhaust setup, so raspy axlebacks aren't ideal for me.

Here is my other issue. I went from a fully loaded up 3.7 to a bare bones 5.0 ( track pack). I was able to salvage a few interior dress up items, window louvers, and AM wheels from the traded in 3.7, but I am not happy with cloth seats and crap stereo. I have quite a few cosmetic upgrades to make before I get to any real perf parts, but I would like to have it sounding like a Mustang. I have to consider going with a cheaper set of axlebacks for now.

What's good under $500 or even $450 that deep,low, and loud? Without rasp or a ton of drone? Roush?

Speaking of overpriced parts, I wasn't able to grab a Mustang with the Recaro's with the deal. I see many places that sell them for $3k but they are only a $1600 option from Ford. Why? Has anyone tried to order the track pack Recaro's from Ford for that price? Anyone seen them reasonably priced anywhere? I want them bad but $3k for a pair of cloth Mustang seats is just retarted. Ran a search and didn't really see too much about it. Any info you got is appreciated.
If you don't want rasp, don't get roush. Go with FRPP gt500s if you want under $500.
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
striker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

If you want under that check out granatelli on YouTube
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Roush should definitely fit your needs, they are great axlebacks
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Roush is great but has some rasp to it. Not too bad IMO and I love it. It sounds like a real old muscle car. (In love with that part )But if you dont like rasp at all then roush isn't for u.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

The Roush has no rasp with stock mid pipe.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:47 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
You could always buy a used axleback or catback and save money that way. They pop up for sale in the classifieds all the time on many of the sites.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I been looking into the GT500 axle backs. Listened to a few clips, for the price, they seem to offer the best quality, best value.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just picked up Mustang #3 (2014 GT w/track package) and to make it sound like the monster that it is. I have always gone with Flowmasters in the past. They don't seem to be as popular anymore, but you can't beat them for the price. They are deep and loud without that Camaro like rasp that I have seen everyone complain about with other axlebacks at similar prices, like Roush Axlebacks for example. I watched a YouTube video where the owner upgraded to those and UPR Xpipe and it sounded like a 90's Camaro. Loud and annoying. I wanted to vomit.

Anyways, I notice Flowmaster makes a few different ones for our cars. My 02 Mustang GT had just the 40 Series American Thunder Mufflers cut and welded in. They sounded incredible, awesome. Very Deep and much louder than stock.

I see the gold standard in here are the Borla S Axlebacks. Everyone who gives a description on them makes them sound just like the Flowmasters I had. I don't want to spend Borla money when Flowmaster money appears to be just as good. Has anyone heard both in person?

I searched around and got what info that I could. Those of you who own them please share your thoughts. How do they sound with other exhaust upgrades?????
Long tube headers will make u happy.. X pipe makes more power but is raspy so go with an h pipe for deeper rumble.. Gt500 stock axle back is quiet with that setup until u get on it and no droan going down the highway. Look into kooks headers and kooks also has axle backs now. Flowmasters were on my car when I bought it and just FYI after I changed them out an retuned I picked up 9rwhp and 15rwtq.
Shelby09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:43 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I eventually plan to go with a full exhaust setup but not any time soon. Funds are spread thin right this minute. Just dropped cash picking up the car, summer vacation, GF Bday weekend, all that coming up on top of the usual, regular bills. *sigh*. Disposable cash is scarce.

I am trying not to snap and go on a credit card fueled binge at American Muscle lol.

So the Shelby axle backs alone on a stock GT will not be loud enough?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Prob not what ur looking for no

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

If u had headers u may like it but not stock
Old 07-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Son of a......... No shelby. Back to the start again
Old 07-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I just don't want u to waste ur $ long tube headers and x pipe or h pipe are around $1500 from kooks but the sound is amazing.. They wake up any axle back system. If ur not wanting to drop that money now.. Kooks axle back or borla prob b the loudest
Old 07-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I Appreciate your advice. Thanks again
Old 07-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #29

Region: Texas
Very happy with the GT500s. A little louder, a little deeper and no drone, rasp, or popping. Cheap option compared to the aftermarket ones. Put mine on the 2nd day I owned it. Only thing I would do differently is paint them black BEFORE I installed them. It was a little harder masking them out and painting, but it looks a lot better than the natural silver.

We are on similar paths. My car is base GT, track package, Recaros. Only other option was all weather mats. Baby/budget version of a BOSS.
El_Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Give me your Recaro's!
Old 08-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Stainless power long tubes and matching mid pipe! Same as stainless works! 850$ shipped!
Old 08-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddinn25 View Post
Stainless power long tubes and matching mid pipe! Same as stainless works! 850$ shipped!
That's right
Old 08-04-2013, 02:07 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Tortuga View Post
Very happy with the GT500s. A little louder, a little deeper and no drone, rasp, or popping. Cheap option compared to the aftermarket ones. Put mine on the 2nd day I owned it. Only thing I would do differently is paint them black BEFORE I installed them. It was a little harder masking them out and painting, but it looks a lot better than the natural silver.

We are on similar paths. My car is base GT, track package, Recaros. Only other option was all weather mats. Baby/budget version of a BOSS.
Base GT as well, but with Recaros. Can't wait for it to be delivered! I'm thinking about putting Bassani on mine. It seems like not too many people are running them.
dugemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
I'm currently on my 5th set of axlebacks: stock, flow/dronemaster hushpowers, GT500's, Roush, now I have FRPP sport/Borla S-type, on my fifth try I finally found the perfect sound. They have zero drone, are GT500 quiet at idle and roush loud at wot. My SP LT's made them a little louder but gave a much more crisp and deep tone. Yea the FRPP sport/Borla S-type cost more but I spent more switching around than I would have in the first place.

Just my .02
Could you give me your comparison between the GT500and the FRPP axel backs.

I currently have Roush, I like the sound but maybe a tic to loud for me.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I just heard the roush exhaust on a stage 3 aluminator at a dealer,....and now I know what the craze is all about. Man it sounds amazing!
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT