Loud knocking when starting in the morning - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Loud knocking when starting in the morning

I have an issue that is driving me nuts!! When I start my 2013 GT in the morning, I sometimes hear a loud clunk, knocking type sound from the engine. It happens completely random – Sometime I don’t hear it for weeks and sometimes it happens for days straight (today is day 3). It ONLY happens in the morning. The RPM’s go up and down while it is doing this. It sounds like the engine is going to die, then sounds normal, then clunks again, then after 30-45 seconds, it idles. Once at idle, the car runs great – I can drive it all day, no problem. Or get to work and let it sit for 10 hours, then starts up and she gets me home just fine. Then randomly some other morning, it does it again. Thoughts?! Suggestions?! The sounds scares the crap out of me – It sounds like the engine is going to explode. I only have a few engine related mods and I only noticed it after putting on my axle-back S-Type Borlas.
SELENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
If it's still under warranty, take it to the dealer.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I agree, take it to the dealer. It could be a number of different things. Have you double checked to make sure your not low on oil. These cars have a tendency to burn a little oil in the first 5k miles especially. Could also be piston slap or oil starvation upon cold start. How many miles on the car?
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

No loud knocking noise this morning... I pulled my phone out and was going to record it to post here and for as reference for Ford service (since they probably would experience while it is in the shop).

Yes, she is still under warranty. I am at approx 5800 miles and have not had the oil changed yet. My GPS stopped working about 2 weeks ago (which I found is a common problem), so I plan to make an appointment soon to get it repaired and I was also going to request an oil change at that time. There is no indication on the dash that the oil may be low, so I will check on that tonight.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I have a 2012 gt and have many different problems with mine so I agree with the others I would bring it back to the dealer if I was you
sleeperstatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SELENE View Post
No loud knocking noise this morning... I pulled my phone out and was going to record it to post here and for as reference for Ford service (since they probably would experience while it is in the shop).

Yes, she is still under warranty. I am at approx 5800 miles and have not had the oil changed yet. My GPS stopped working about 2 weeks ago (which I found is a common problem), so I plan to make an appointment soon to get it repaired and I was also going to request an oil change at that time. There is no indication on the dash that the oil may be low, so I will check on that tonight.
Did you check the oil? Are you low?
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 07-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Did you check the oil? Are you low?
I'm not sure if the oil is low - Nothing on the dash indicates that it might be. I will pull the oil dipstick tonight when I get home from work and report back.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
In the event that it is low oil and your car is acting funny because of it, it would be wise to check it before you even start the car let alone drive it home. It's takes less than 2 minutes to do most of which is spent trying to get the stick back in the damn hole. Your motor your car do as you wish. Just a suggestion.
BlackBetty5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty5.0 View Post
In the event that it is low oil and your car is acting funny because of it, it would be wise to check it before you even start the car let alone drive it home. It's takes less than 2 minutes to do most of which is spent trying to get the stick back in the damn hole. Your motor your car do as you wish. Just a suggestion.
Good call - I didn't even consider checking before heading home.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Definitely check your oil. It could be low enough that it takes a few minutes for the oil pressure to build up and lubricate the pistons and heads enough to run normal. Whenever your car sits for 12 or so hours all the oil usually drains back down into the pan and if it's low on oil, it will take even longer to get circulated back through the motor.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomdizzle View Post
Definitely check your oil. It could be low enough that it takes a few minutes for the oil pressure to build up and lubricate the pistons and heads enough to run normal. Whenever your car sits for 12 or so hours all the oil usually drains back down into the pan and if it's low on oil, it will take even longer to get circulated back through the motor.
Thats what im thinking. Sounds like oil starvation on a cold start, when all the oil is drained down into the pan.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I agree, take that sucker to the dealer! Could be warped piston or lifter tap, but whatever it is, it will get worse.
katynthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I checked the oil and it is full. And everything under the hood looks like I believe it should. If no one else has any suggestions, I guess it is time to make an appointment at the dealership. Lame!
Old 07-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SELENE View Post
Well, I checked the oil and it is full. And everything under the hood looks like I believe it should. If no one else has any suggestions, I guess it is time to make an appointment at the dealership. Lame!
Well the fact its not oil related is good. Could still be a number of things though, and any knock is not good. So definitely go get that thing checked out man.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #15

Region: Illinois
Keep us updated, I experiencing the same symtoms.
Mdazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:47 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
What kind of oil filter are you using? Fram used to be notorious for this, due to a crappy anti-drainback valve...
Grey 2011 GT Brembo, 3.73, ARH LT headers, catted x-pipe, Borla GT500 A/B, JLT cf CAI, MGW shifter, SCT, tuned, Boss oil cooler, Ford Racing springs & adj shocks, GT500 strut mounts, Steeda adj panhard/upper & lower arms. Roush 18x10" wheels with PS2 fronts, R888 305's rear. Eibach GT500 adj swaybars, Boss IM/Strut bar/steering wheel, Ford Racing 90mm TB, GT500 wing, BMR relo brackets, DSS aluminum driveshaft, Cervini Cobra R hood, 2014 GT500 headlight & rear end retrofit...
Matt K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
What kind of oil filter are you using? Fram used to be notorious for this, due to a crappy anti-drainback valve...
He said he has 5800 miles and haven't changed the oil yet. I would imagine he has the factory Motorcraft filter.
Ravnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

5800 miles and haven't done an oil change yet??? Hell i changed mine out to royal purple after 1200 miles.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #19

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
5800 miles and haven't done an oil change yet??? Hell i changed mine out to royal purple after 1200 miles.
He will be fine...my oil change interval is 5K miles on Ford Motorcraft oil and would do 7K miles interval on full synthetic oil.

To really know that there is an engine damage by going 800 miles over the recommended interval is to test the oil.
Uncoolron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
8 qts Is alot of oil, so u can go alot of miles... Most Mercedes and BMWs don't require maintenance for at least 10k intervals... Of course synthetic is required
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncoolron View Post

He will be fine...my oil change interval is 5K miles on Ford Motorcraft oil and would do 7K miles interval on full synthetic oil.

To really know that there is an engine damage by going 800 miles over the recommended interval is to test the oil.
Oh i agree. I change mine every 7k now, but wanted to do the first change earlier just for peace of mind. Call me paranoid.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Update: I took my Stang to Ford to have the problem looked at (and get my first oil change) and they couldn't find anything to explain the issue I described. I haven't had the problem since I originally posted this thread a month ago, so I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't come back. Maybe I got bad gas?!
Old 04-01-2015, 11:30 AM   #23

Region: Florida
Mustang knocking noise repair, video attached

Just took my 2012 Mustang in for a knocking noise. When I start the car (whether the a/c is on or not) and then again if I turn on the A/C. I'll try to attach a video. Noise seemed to be behind dash not in the engine.
The car was fixed in approx 2 hours and here's what is on the invoice:

cause: N33
19616B Motor Assembly - A/C DOOR ACTUATOR (Defrost)
Replace (18A318/19E616) - L
1 part # AR3Z*19E616*E MOTOR ASY

No price on the invoice since it was under warranty.
jamcruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #24

Region: Florida
Here's the video..
Attached Files
jamcruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I think I had the same problem in my 2011 GT. Clicking sound behind the air conditioner? Did it for about 5 seconds after start up. Mechanic charged me about $150.

2013 Premium Performance White

GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows

Last Mod: CDC Performance Grille

Next mod: Bama Race Tune!

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:58 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I started experiencing this problem on cold starts after having a Steeda tune.

It's exactly as the OP describes.

Before, on really cold days on cold starts the engine would stumble, but then catch itself.

After the Steeda tune, I get a really loud knock, like a hammer on metal.

It's happened twice now and sounds like a piston is about to shoot through the hood.

I have emailed Steeda twice, but they haven't responded yet.

In the meantime I have found that if I give it a little gas before it stumbles it will avoid the knock.
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT